IGNORED

Proof God is stronger than teh evil birth control

nolongerIFBx

*snip*

If you are pregnant with multiples, they can't move around much at all and, again, the normally tell-tale kicking won't be.

What in the what now? I had twins and trust if me, this is not a problem. They were decent sized for multiples (just under 7lbs each) when born and I have a very short torso AND an anterior placenta so theoretically they should have had less room to move than average twins and I'd have felt kicks less than average, but this was never an issue. I've never heard any other moms of multiples I know say this either -- if anything we complain because with multiples you get kicked all.the.time and never get a break because someone is always moving around. :P I know the subject of the news story didn't have twins so this is a bit off topic but it was such an odd idea to me that I had to say something. :P

Back on topic -- I know a vas can reverse AND some women don't show much (especially if you're quite overweight, but since she's running a half marathon I doubt she is), but the odds of both of those things happening at the same time plus her not feeling any kicking seems pretty unlikely. My money is on infidelity or just good old fashioned attention whoring. :P

What in the what now? I had twins and trust if me, this is not a problem. They were decent sized for multiples (just under 7lbs each) when born and I have a very short torso AND an anterior placenta so theoretically they should have had less room to move than average twins and I'd have felt kicks less than average, but this was never an issue. I've never heard any other moms of multiples I know say this either -- if anything we complain because with multiples you get kicked all.the.time and never get a break because someone is always moving around. :P I know the subject of the news story didn't have twins so this is a bit off topic but it was such an odd idea to me that I had to say something. :P

Totally agree with you here, mine were about the 5lb mark but they moved constantly, it was like having a bag of puppies in my stomach. Maybe it's the lack of space and getting disturbed by your twin that seems to make them move more. I don't know many other mums of multiples but the few I do know had the same constant movement too.

Totally agree with you here, mine were about the 5lb mark but they moved constantly, it was like having a bag of puppies in my stomach. Maybe it's the lack of space and getting disturbed by your twin that seems to make them move more. I don't know many other mums of multiples but the few I do know had the same constant movement too.

Bag of puppies! Love it -- so true! I'm stealing that. :)

I think being disturbed by your womb-mate must definitely contribute to the extra movement (on top of just having more than one kid in there). We saw one of our sons repeatedly kicking the other in the head during one ultrasound. We joke that they started fighting before they were born and haven't stopped since lol. :P

Sometimes I wonder, if you've NEVER had a birth control failure despite imperfect use, does that mean you're likely to be infertile? Ever since I was a kid, I've had a sneaking suspicion that I would be infertile. (Weird, I know.) This is only bolstered by the fact that I have a tipped uterus, as I learned a few years ago.

Same here - mine were 4 pounds each, and I am 5', very petite. Left (son) had an anterior placenta, and right (daughter) did not. I still felt movement with the anterior placenta, it was just not as "sharp" - felt more like rolls and waves. It was all pokes and prods with my daughter. Any time I laid on my side, the one that was on the bottom would flail like crazy and keep me awake, so I slept in a recliner for the majority of my third trimester.

She did think she couldn't get pregnant, and it is entirely possible she did also have irregular menstrual cycles.

There are a few things, additionally, that can mask the symptoms of pregnancy. If you are significantly overweight, or just don't gain much (my mother was in labor with me and the admitting nurse refused to let her into maternity because "that's only for woman who are giving birth"!) you might not be able to SEE that you are pregnant.

If the fetus is in there at a funny position, the fact that they're kicking might not feel the same as it usually does. For example, if the baby is positioned with the feet towards the back, kicking might just feel like odd backaches.

If you are pregnant with multiples, they can't move around much at all and, again, the normally tell-tale kicking won't be.

What Conuly said. A friend of mine did not know she was pregnant until she went into labor with her son. She had been told she couldn't have children, had irregular cycles to begin with due to PCOS, is a larger woman, and also had negative pregnancy tests throughout the time that she actually was pregnant. She said that while she did have pregnancy symptoms, all of them mimicked the symptoms of other health conditions she knew she had - for example, she has IBS and mistook the kicking for bad gas or other intestinal troubles. She also said that in retrospect, the signs were obvious when she thought back on them, but at the time she was able to convince herself otherwise.

What Conuly said. A friend of mine did not know she was pregnant until she went into labor with her son. She had been told she couldn't have children, had irregular cycles to begin with due to PCOS, is a larger woman, and also had negative pregnancy tests throughout the time that she actually was pregnant. She said that while she did have pregnancy symptoms, all of them mimicked the symptoms of other health conditions she knew she had - for example, she has IBS and mistook the kicking for bad gas or other intestinal troubles. She also said that in retrospect, the signs were obvious when she thought back on them, but at the time she was able to convince herself otherwise.

Yeah, this sounds similar to my friend who didn't know she was pregnant. We were college buddies who reconnected via Facebook a few years ago, so I was told the story after-the-fact - she found out she was pregnant at 8 months when she went to see the doctor for some issues she was having. She never really had regular cycles, assumed any weight gain was due to her other medical conditions, and she had previously been told that she could not have children, too, so when they told her she was pregnant, she couldn't believe it.

Back on topic -- I know a vas can reverse AND some women don't show much (especially if you're quite overweight, but since she's running a half marathon I doubt she is), but the odds of both of those things happening at the same time plus her not feeling any kicking seems pretty unlikely. My money is on infidelity or just good old fashioned attention whoring. :P

I wonder about infidelity or attention whoring as well. But not all long-distance runners are super petite, and a lot of the side effects of distance running (increased appetite, menstrual irregularity, etc.) are similar to what one might find in pregnancy. Even fetal movement could be chalked up to bowel disturbances, since logging high mileage can cause a certain amount of intestinal distress.

It seems unlikely that this woman had no suspicion she was pregnant. But if she truly thought there was no chance, maybe she did find excuses for any symptoms she experienced.

Wow! I'm obviously very naive (despite rampant infidelity btw my parents, & in my past dating history). I never even considered that this woman might have been unfaithful. Anything is possible, I suppose. Apparently I may have watched a few too many episodes of "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant." Hopefully cheating wasn't a factor in this case.

It crossed my mind, but I'm inclined to believe the couple.

I looked up pictures of her on google, and while she's not obese by any means, she isn't thin either which I suppose would make it easier to not notice a pregnancy.

Sometimes I wonder, if you've NEVER had a birth control failure despite imperfect use, does that mean you're likely to be infertile? Ever since I was a kid, I've had a sneaking suspicion that I would be infertile. (Weird, I know.) This is only bolstered by the fact that I have a tipped uterus, as I learned a few years ago.

It's possible, but you can't actually get a medical designation of infertility unless you have been having sex with no birth control for at least a year, so it's also possible to have just been lucky.

Archived