IGNORED

Maybe God is telling you to use real toothpaste....

Beeks

She gives away a lot of shit. Wonder if she's reporting all those freebies to the IRS or whatever it is she's supposed to do?

If anyone wants to read the original blog post, I kept the tab open so I've got the text:

Oral Health & Homemade Toothpaste

Teeth are a very important subject in our house. My eldest daughter suffered from the effects of poor dental genes. :( At only 2 years old she underwent oral surgery to fix a number of problems that I had so diligently tried to prevent from the moment she was born. Luck of the draw, I suppose (and ironically her cousin had the same exact problems at the very same age). So even though I didn't think it was possible, we've had to be even MORE diligent from there on out. So far my middle child has no issues whatsoever, but unfortunately it looks like my 14 month old son may be following in his big sisters footsteps. I am nearly 100% certain, however, that his was caused by the one time he went on antibiotics for strep throat- we normally avoid antibiotics because of how they wreak havoc on the body (and had we not been about to fly cross country, I would have avoided them then, too!!). And I fear that that one time was the perfect example of the damage they can do- the medication screwed up his normal oral flora (despite our regular- and again, diligent!- probiotic use here). So now we are dealing with that.

However, I'm grateful that the Lord has revealed a number of wonderful resources to me. I highly recommend the book "Cure Tooth Decay" for some insight into how our diet affects our teeth. I don't agree with everything that the author says (for example, I would never agree, under any circumstances, that white flour is better four our children, and we will continue to use freshly milled whole wheat flour in our home), but overall I think it's great information. We already did most of the things in the book (grass fed beef/dairy products, healthy fats, cod liver oil, butter oil, etc) but were able to incorporate a few more of the recommendations into our daily lifestyle.

Now...onto the fun part! We do not use fluoride toothpaste. We DID occasionally wipe my eldest daughters teeth with a fluoride mouth rinse, as per the dentist's recommendation. However, we have not used it with the other two. I am not at all comfortable with it, and if you look into the health effects caused by fluoride, I am sure you, too, will find the risks to outweigh the benefits. So, for years we have used fluoride-free, xylitol based toothpastes, tooth gels, and Tooth Chips. However, recently we started making our own. So much nicer not having all that extra "stuff" to worry about, and so much cheaper!! And the greatest part is, because of the particular ingredients, you actually BENEFIT from swallowing it!! Which makes it perfect for little kids and babies!

Homemade Toothpaste

* Coconut Oil (which not only cleans, but also whitens teeth!)

* Cell salts (calcarea fluorica & silicea are especially beneficial to teeth)

* Baking Soda (cleans teeth and can help balance the pH in the mouth)

* Xylitol (helps fight bacteria and slightly sweetens the paste)

Optional:

* Essential Oils (for scent/flavor)

* Vitamin K (we cut the capsules open)

* Probiotics (I grind up some mint flavored L. Rueteri tablets)

* I've also started adding in Black Walnut tincture

It's a very simple process, though because I don't measure anything other than the amount of cell salts I use (I use about 5-6 tablets of each, which is for a 1-2 weeks worth of paste). I grind up the cell salts, xylitol, and probiotics in my mortar and pestal (a food processor or coffee grinder would work as well). I dump it in our little bowl, add baking soda and vitamin K, and then add enough coconut oil to make a paste. I usually add 2-3 drops of peppermint essential oil as well!!

There ya go! Healthier teeth are only a few minutes away!!

(I'm not breaking any rules by doing that am I?)

I doubt that the antibotics caused anything, but poor dental genes, that's totally legit, and you can't always do anything about it. And their recipe isn't all that bad.

I would never agree, under any circumstances, that white flour is better four our children,

FOUR? :shock:

And it's not pestal either.

Seriously, it's like they try to be as uneducated as possible. Oh right, take out the "like" in that sentence.

I'm wondering what genetic issues there were that affected her daughter by the age of two (In her language, the age of too) that could have somehow been avoided? I don't see how anything that becomes that big of a problem in that relatively short period of time could be prevented.

Putting on science cap:

calcarea fluorica=calcium fluoride

Taking off science cap and putting back on snarky cap:

So why is calcium flouride A-OK, but the fluorides in commercial toothpaste bad? Do fundies have access to science books, or hell even wikipedia? Their ability to make shit up just astounds me. I grieve for the second and third generation fundies. They will probably regress so far back, they will eliminate the use of the wheel and fire.

Putting on science cap:

So why is calcium flouride A-OK, but the fluorides in commercial toothpaste bad? Do fundies have access to science books, or hell even wikipedia? Their ability to make shit up just astounds me. I grieve for the second and third generation fundies. They will probably regress so far back, they will eliminate the use of the wheel and fire.

LOL :lol:

Putting on science cap:

LOL :lol:

Putting on science cap:

But giving it that pretty name makes it okay! It's like when you jump up and down while eating a really fattening food... you are eliminating the calories while doing so!

:character-luigi:

if god reveled the sources to her why does she not agree with everything the book says? sounds like she does not agree with god.

if god reveled the sources to her why does she not agree with everything the book says? sounds like she does not agree with god.

God also revealed to her that she only has to listen to the bits that she already believes. Obvi.

I think I fixed the link.

Yes, no kidding. Those are some impressive boobs.

Thank you to both of you! I never notice that in Chrome, and I appreciate you fixing the link. :)

Also, she breastfed 3 kids at a time.

Sorry but I just keep seeing a Greek-Godess statute with 3 boobs!!

My eldest daughter suffered from the effects of poor dental genes. :( At only 2 years old she underwent oral surgery to fix a number of problems that I had so diligently tried to prevent from the moment she was born. Luck of the draw, I suppose (and ironically her cousin had the same exact problems at the very same age).

How is that ironic?

How is that ironic?

You beat me to it!! Ugh....the misuse of the word Irony is one of my pet peeves. I mean, come one, haven't these people seen Reality Bites!!??

You beat me to it!! Ugh....the misuse of the word Irony is one of my pet peeves. I mean, come one, haven't these people seen Reality Bites!!??

I'm gonna go with "no" on that.

I think that might be worse than usual because it's like the opposite of ironic. You'd expect other family members to have bad teeth if it actually was a genetic trait.

Guest Anonymous

She says that they avoid antibiotics and she would have still avoided antibiotics for the under 14 month old baby for strep had they not been about to fly cross country. Why would you NOT give your small child antibiotics for strep?? Don't you basically have to take them to be able to get better, especially for a little baby?! When I figured out I had strep a few weeks ago everyone MADE me go to the doctor saying I wouldn't get better if I didn't take (and finish) them.

She says that they avoid antibiotics and she would have still avoided antibiotics for the under 14 month old baby for strep had they not been about to fly cross country. Why would you NOT give your small child antibiotics for strep?? Don't you basically have to take them to be able to get better, especially for a little baby?! When I figured out I had strep a few weeks ago everyone MADE me go to the doctor saying I wouldn't get better if I didn't take (and finish) them.

You can get better without them, you can also get Scarlet Fever if strep throat is left untreated.

What an idiot she is. Is there a health-related saying like "penny wise, pound foolish?"

Palm Face

I also really like her disclaimer page:

This blog does not accept any form of cash advertising, sponsorship, or paid topic insertions. However, we will and do accept and keep free products, services, travel, event tickets, and other forms of compensation from companies and organizations.

This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

Is it possible to contradict herself more? I dont take money or paid insertions but I take free stuff. Free stuff influences me but wont result in changing my opinions. I get to make shit up, including statistics and how it works because nothing I say matters, you should verify it yourself. But I'm always honest in my opinions...

I wish I had looked at this blog before her purge. I'm sure it was a treasure trove of WTF science fail. I wonder if her and Jessica BFFs in real life, the seem to be on the same level of kookie.

Ironically, you all beat me to pointing out her misuse of irony.

Seriously, though, that toothpaste recipe actually looks interesting. Huge WTF on why she can use calcium fluoride but fluoride is bad in commercial toothpastes, though. I'm bummed she took her blog down, she sounded pretty entertaining.

Major science and language fails *facepalm*.

I'm always amazed at fundies' abilities to be ignorant.

What, pray tell, is so much better about calcium fluoride than sodium fluoride in toothpaste? The only time fluoride is bad for you is if you consume great amounts of it. Most people spit out their toothpaste...

I don't think making your own toothpaste is all bad, although I'm happy buying it, but antibiotics are not that evil. Overuse, yes. And tetracycline can also stain the roots of your own teeth if you're on it long term, although the other -cycline antibiotics don't. And it's stain, not destroy. But you know what else causes weak enamel? Having a high fever or being very ill while they're developing - happened to my 12-year-old molars. Another reason TO use antibiotics when you are sick with a bacterial infection so that it doesn't get worse and cause you to have, for example, NO enamel if you're currently growing teeth.

Archived