IGNORED

All things Razing Ruth

razingruth

A few things:

I read the RR blog over a day or two back in March when I was sick. Taken in all at once, it sent alarm bells jingling like mad:

1) The sister story with lesbian couple does not ring true at all - I was having a hard time swallowing it but the adoptive parents were just too much

2) The tip jars- she acts throughout as if the tip jars are not her idea but you can pick up dozens of hints and clues in her woe is me posts where she is basically cajoling her audience to offer money and support

3) Nothing, not one thing, ever going right in her life- no happiness, joy or positives, plus the tiny amount she made as a waitress. Base in CA is like $7.50 and hour plus tips. I was a waitress for a long time. If she stuck with it that long, she had to be making$15-20/hour - or she should have just left the industry all together!

4)The Harris story was just ridiculously scripted from the first movie watching attraction to the break up. That story was CRAFTED before it was ever published.

5) The father's death and the lack of any mention of on any other blogs or an obituary. No obituary for this father of ATI because of one lost sheep? No way.

There is more, but those are the ones off the top of my head. Oh, yeah, and she told Curious she legally changed her name? Then how did showing the stalker the license make a difference?

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If anyone is expecting a reply from Ruth, especially an apology for doing this, I wouldn't hold my breath. Were any of us to find her real identity, if Ruth apologized for taking money under scam-like circumstances, she would open herself up to legal consequences. It would be super cool if she were to come back over here and post an explanation, or even post one on her blog, but I also don't see that happening. She will likely post something along the lines of "You meanies made me shut down my blog, hope you're happy for persecuting me!" and that will be the end of it.

Nah, if she *is* the same person as Possummomma/PennMommy/whomever, "someone" will write an impassioned defence of her on another site somewhere, complete with how wonderful and hard-done-by and misunderstood she is, and how evil and mean and crazy her "attackers" are.

ETA: Oh, and what a sad day it was for all when she was forced to close her blog.

The person who found the librarian named [redacted], prompted me to do some googling of my own. This site shows a female same sex couple with a daughter named Ellie who would have turned one around the same time as "Ruth's" "niece:" [redacted] . Yeah, they're not in CA, but an easily enough changed detail. I am one of the ones that used to defend her...my regrets to anyone I did that to ...although, I NEVER called anyone a name over it, so that was not me!!

It seems like the biggest previous questioning about if Ruth was "real" happened when Vyckie from NLQ was involved, but then Vyckie started to seem unreliable, so the whole thing was dropped.

I'm pretty gullible in real life, so on the internet i just give up.

A quick check through my emails because she DID email me back once a couple of years ago soon after she started her blog. If she IS a scammer, she doesn't seem to exploit individual readers/emailers too much because I emailed her twice during the Ellie issue (I thought she was likely close in proximity to me) and she never emailed back to those.

I was suspicious about Razing Ruth for a very long time, since I've been lurking freejinger and NLQ for a while. I don't remember specific reasons for my suspicions but I do remember feeling that all her stories read fake. There was something I can't pinpoint that just didn't ring true. When she came out with the story about her sister and the lesbian adoption, I called bullshit. The timing and details were all too convenient and seemed design to attract both admiration (adoption! lesbians! young sister!) and pity. All the updates at the beginning of this thread (dead dad! broken leg! bad job!) seem like vague begging for money. She's not asking, but she's basically hoping for someone to offer. Nope. I'm glad it's all coming to light now.

I believed Ruth all along and commented on her blog a few times. Surprised to see this now but I guess it makes sense, I never took the time to research her story in depth like others have. I'm sorry to hear that these issues have come up but you never know on the internet. Waiting eagerly to hear how it plays out.

I think it's unfortunate that these threads were merged, making this one kind of unreadable at 40 pages. Josh Duggar has like a million threads, why couldn't Razing Ruth have 2?

To my knowledge no threads have been merged. It doesn't say it's been merged in the title, which they usually do and no one has mentioned merging RR threads in the mod forum, which is a fairly normal course when popular threads are merged.

This is just a popular, fast moving thread, AFAIK.

We will be starting a part 2, shortly.

I have been following Ruth since I found Free Jinger. I am just happy to know that I am not the only one who doubted her story early on. I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt but I swear nothing ever went right for her and I figured she liked making up drama to divulge to her readers. I kept following because I just looked at it as a never ending soap opera.

Some posters touched on this earlier but I have never understood how someone who was able to find the perfect boyfriend/fiancee didn't seem to have one friend other than said boyfriend/fiancee. It's just really strange. She never posts about going out with friends or her BFF helping to take care of her when she gets out of the hospital. Most people have a friend they can call when in need, even if they can't offer money or shelter, they can offer emotional support. Ruth seems to always be going it alone. I also don't understand how someone who was never allowed to be around the opposite sex growing up is able to cultivate such a strong relationship with this great guy but yet cannot find one female friend.

One other thing that bothered me was that Ruth can never seem to figure out how to do anything for herself in times of crisis. Someone always shows up to rescue her and point her in the right direction. If she has been out of ATI, or whatever, for years, has lived on her own and has a college degree, she should be better equipped to figure out where to seek help.

I don't think any poster should feel bad for believing Ruth or wanting to help her. It says something about the people on this site that their first thought was to try and help someone they hadn't even met. I truly believe that the majority of people are good. We all want to believe the best about others and it can be a shock when we are manipulated by those we only want to help.

Tomorrow I am going to update the master list of alarm bells Ruth set off for me and others and will repost it here so that people new to the thread or just in over their heads with all this info will have access to the information we are all taking about without having to go back 20 pages to find it.

We will start a new thread when this one reaches 45 pages, so you may want to wait until then.

To my knowledge no threads have been merged. It doesn't say it's been merged in the title, which they usually do and no one has mentioned merging RR threads in the mod forum, which is a fairly normal course when popular threads are merged.

This is just a popular, fast moving thread, AFAIK.

We will be starting a part 2, shortly.

If you look at page 20 you will see the merge of two threads: My Father's Dead and All Things Razing Ruth. I'm not sure if there were more, but I do remember the threads being merged like the Original commenter said.

With it being years out of ATI with her working you think she would be able to support herself and no longer be in need of donations via her tip jar. Writing a blog like RR is too easy once you get down the fundie speak, are familiar with how ATI works, etc. it's too easy to put it all together.

If you look at page 20 you will see the merge of two threads: My Father's Dead and All Things Razing Ruth. I'm not sure if there were more, but I do remember the threads being merged like the Original commenter said.

No, the name was just changed, because it wasn't about Ruth's dad anymore. At least, that's what I remember.

No, the name was just changed, because it wasn't about Ruth's dad anymore. At least, that's what I remember.

Perhaps that is true, but there is a bit of a flip flop of titles. Some say ATRR and some say MFD. Typically you get that in a merged topic. If it was just changed and not merged I can see how someone would confuse it for being a merge.

1) The sister story with lesbian couple does not ring true at all - I was having a hard time swallowing it but the adoptive parents were just too much

This is definitely what I find the most unbelievable of her stories. I had always doubted her, but during the adoption story I switched to believing. Once she said it was a lesbian couple, though, I switched right back. I just don't see a recently fundie girl ever giving her baby to a gay couple.

The thing that made me start to question her years ago is that I grew up in the NW Arkansas homeschooling community and I've never heard of any family that could possibly be hers. I even asked my mom once, and she couldn't either. That doesn't necessarily mean anything at all, but it planted the first seeds of doubt.

Yes, I changed the thread title at the request of some posters

Perhaps that is true, but there is a bit of a flip flop of titles. Some say ATRR and some say MFD. Typically you get that in a merged topic. If it was just changed and not merged I can see how someone would confuse it for being a merge.

I think some of the titles are different depending on if they were quoting/replying to a post with the "My Father is Dead" title.

It was not a merge. When the title is changed, replies that are already posted keep their original title, but all subsequent posts have the new title. That happens on merged threads, too, because the original title is changed to include the word Merge. So really, merged threads will often have three (or more) titles as you scroll through: the original title of each original thread, and the new title of the merged thread.

And now I will stop overexplaining minutia.

Actually if you read the thread, someone asked to have the thread title changed because it was no longer about RR's father's passing. Lilith had a little oops with the first attempt at title changing and got it right the second try. This is just one thread with no merge.

...One other thing that bothered me was that Ruth can never seem to figure out how to do anything for herself in times of crisis. Someone always shows up to rescue her and point her in the right direction. If she has been out of ATI, or whatever, for years, has lived on her own and has a college degree, she should be better equipped to figure out where to seek help. ...

That's one of the things that bothered me the most. She was able to figure out how to get therapy for free or low cost* but she couldn't figure out how to get help paying hospital expenses, or how to get her student loan payments deferred or re-calculated based on her income. Maybe she was referred to therapy through school but how was she able to continue with therapy after she graduated? Then, until recently, I didn't know she was on meds. I'm assuming those are pricey if she had no insurance. Last thing (because it's all been covered but I need to get this off my chest): how could she afford to replace her windshield twice but she didn't have enough money to set up her utilities?

*I'm assuming it was free or low-cost since she was a college student with no money, as most of us have been/are/will be.

I found this from the old NLQ website: Reply Quote More

http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/1248/W ... dzuM_nVCSo

"I'm very glad she's emailing now! It can be really hard to keep up on responsibilities after you've been sick and her classwork is the most important thing to work on right now. And, ITA with Aerynoctober - Thank you, Everyone, who was cosmically involved in keeping her safe & well!

Lighter note - I think if we had "Kick him in the 'Nards Day" for Pops, the crowd would be worse than Discount Day at Kleinfeld's Bridal! We'd all have to remember: Be polite, wait calmly, we'll *all* get a turn. Who's bringing Box o' Joe and doughnuts for that, anyway?

aerynoctober

#80 [-]

Anaconda Hunter

Feb 21 10 1:16 PM

Reply Quote More

My Recent Posts

To clarify...I got a reply email from Vyckie at No Longer Quivering, which I consider sufficient proof, given that she has known Ruth for a long time."

I vaguely remember Ruth being upset with Vyckie because I think it was she gave her name to some organization to get some money or grant or something like that, supposedly this person contacted her telling her she got her contact info from Vyckie, does anybody else remember that? I used to chat in the chat room quite a bit in NLQ and I remember princess Jo being there a lot. Is she on this site now? We had a lot of fun in the NLQ chatroom years ago!

But I have to say, even if Vyckie knows who she is I still feel like she is fabricating her story. I remember being in a chatroom one time and a girl there told me who she was because I mentioned I was on the Quiverfull Digest and her father was very well known there, and anyone on the digest would have known her family. I often wondered if that could have been Ruth. She did escape her family too and actually now that I think about it, I think this other girls story was posted so it couldn't of been Ruth. Forgive me, Im tired and need to go to bed. There are so many true stories of girls escaping their families, I know of some personally, that it just really makes me sick thinking of Ruth being a total fake.

IPs have been used to show sock puppetry, which is a breach of the TOU.

The problem with IPs is they can't be used to definitely prove location. As the admin of a forum, I checked IPs on a regular basis. There was one person I know for a fact was in Phoenix, because I know them personally, but the IP said they were in Ontario. There may be a more exact way to determine location, but I would guess you have to pay for it...our free ways would never hold up in a court of law!

AOL is a whole different can of worms, and threw my sock-puppet catching skills way off. :oops:

Archived