IGNORED

All things Razing Ruth

razingruth

I'm reading this thread and getting bits and pieces of the story but I can't quite fit it all together... can someone give me the crib notes?

I can't seem to link but page 28 of this thread has a long post by Oddeverything that summarizes some of the red flags that Ruth/Mary may not be who/what she says she is.

eta correct name because apparently I can't do that right either

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember during Alectogate, someone emailed Ruth, accusing her of being Alecto? The "FJ admin is Ruth!" thing reminded me of it. Now I can't help but wonder if it was just to bask in some of the attention from Alectogate.

it's really weird that she put that txt file in her blog

who even knows how to do that?

I find that really weird, too. I used to blog daily, including adding gadgets and whatnot to do things on my blog, and I have never heard of that txt file thing. Why would she do that, anyway? What would be the point?

I'm getting daft or I missed reading some posts. Ruth was supposedly tracked down in RMNP? Not very realistic.

When I heard someone had found her in a campground, I'd thought it was the local KOA and was even wondering how the person knew she was in a specific local campground.

I find that really weird, too. I used to blog daily, including adding gadgets and whatnot to do things on my blog, and I have never heard of that txt file thing. Why would she do that, anyway? What would be the point?

In the super-inexpert language I have to describe these things, the point is to block automatic archiving software like the wayback machine or google cache from taking snapshots of her blog. This means that she can delete a blog entry, or modify blog entries, and the original versions won't be publicly searchable online.

I can't seem to link but page 28 of this thread has a long post by Oddeverything that summarizes some of the red flags that Ruth/Mary may not be who/what she says she is.

eta correct name because apparently I can't do that right either

Thanks - it's here for anyone else who is confused: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17372&start=540

I'm getting daft or I missed reading some posts. Ruth was supposedly tracked down in RMNP? Not very realistic.

When I heard someone had found her in a campground, I'd thought it was the local KOA and was even wondering how the person knew she was in a specific local campground.

Oh, that would make more sense. I'll see if I can find the post. Maybe I have that wrong!

eta: Sheesh, I had that totally wrong! Never take me on a witchhunt! :D

Here's what she posted:

Thank you to the Borden family for the dinner they brought me in the Nebraska KOA. I was feeling very low until you arrived. Figuring out where I was and looking for the California license plate was clever.

In the super-inexpert language I have to describe these things, the point is to block automatic archiving software like the wayback machine or google cache from taking snapshots of her blog. This means that she can delete a blog entry, or modify blog entries, and the original versions won't be publicly searchable online.

Yes, I get that, but going that far to prevent archives of her blog being searchable seems quite strange to me. Again I ask: Why would you do that if you had nothing to hide?

martian, I apparently missed your post further upthread before the thread went crazy. Was wondering if anyone had any contact is all. I won't ask any questions about your contact with her.

Yes, I get that, but going that far to prevent archives of her blog being searchable seems quite strange to me. Again I ask: Why would you do that if you had nothing to hide?

Oh, haha, I completely missed the tenor of your post obviously. Yes, indeed - what would be the point of trying to prevent your blog from being cached if you had nothing to hide?

Whoever said that this wasn't fun but it was most definitely interesting hit the nail on the head. (I just read through like 10+ pages of this, and can't remember anymore) It's fascinating in the same way some reality shows are fascinating. I'd only recently read a little of RR's blog, glad I didn't get too invested. I know from other forums I've belonged to how easy it is to get involved and then realize you've been taken by someone. I'm always surprised (but not really) that people go to so much time and effort to get attention.

Also, I'm pretty impressed by the way things have been handled here. I've seen people on generally cheerful forums go bat crap crazy over something like this, and I'd just like to say it's nice to see that it is possible for people on the internet to disagree without getting nasty.

Over on TWOP a 'prominent former poster' is now theorizing that the admins at FJ are probably in on the scam and/or Alecto is actually the Raising Ruth persona :popcorn2:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

Sorry, carry on.

I do agree that some people do lurch from crisis to crisis in real life, but Ruth's always seemed excessive.

Oh, haha, I completely missed the tenor of your post obviously. Yes, indeed - what would be the point of trying to prevent your blog from being cached if you had nothing to hide?

The only reason I've ever known anyone to do that (or have a website removed from archive.org) was writers who had either gotten a book deal or decided everything they wrote was crap (sort of burning it in a symbolic bonfire I guess).

And since I'm pretty sure you can get specific things deleted from archive.org if wanted or needed, I can't think of a reason someone with nothing to hide would do that, or even know how to.

Over on TWOP a 'prominent former poster' is now theorizing that the admins at FJ are probably in on the scam and/or Alecto is actually the Raising Ruth persona :popcorn2:

This is patently ridiculous, which I hope people realize, but just to clear things up I will address it.

No one on the mod team is or ever has been RR :roll: If you mean a "prominent former poster" from FJ, depending on who it is, they likely darn well know that and are just trying to cause more drama. Such silliness.

Alecto is also not RR. People have actually met Alecto in real life for one thing and there are pictures that prove that, so that kind of shoots that theory down.

I will say that when the transition first happened and RR posted about that weird email she got saying that she was either Alecto or Vycike or they were all the same person or whatever that was, I did reach out to her. She made it clear at that time, she had no interest in telling me her real identity and I didn't really feel a need to push for it at that time. She did tell me that she just had her name legally changed, as well.

We (the administration of FJ) have been very careful to make sure that no rules have been broken regarding solicitation directly on FJ and we would be as happy as anyone if the truth would just out, as it always does.

I just went to her blog to search for which campground she said she was in when the people from here(?) or her blog found her, because I also thought she said KOA. I can't find it. I'm about 90% sure she had a post about it. Am I wrong? There seems to be a few posts missing from that timeframe (her trip to Chicago), actually.

ETA: Never mind, it was here that she wrote it, and someone already posted it. Maybe the other stuff I'm thinking of was also posted here, rather than on her blog. Here's the link to the page if anyone's interested (her post is about halfway down): http://freejinger.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&p=563147

:lol: :lol: :lol: :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

Sorry, carry on.

I do agree that some people do lurch from crisis to crisis in real life, but Ruth's always seemed excessive.

Was that a typo? I think that discussion is on GOMI not TWOP. I admit I raced over to TWOP to see whether Howard was having conniptions over Boards on Boards posts! She could have been really busy swiffering but usually can't resist a pissy reprimand if she has had to delete posts.

Oh, that would make more sense. I'll see if I can find the post. Maybe I have that wrong!

eta: Sheesh, I had that totally wrong! Never take me on a witchhunt! :D

Here's what she posted:

Thank you to the Borden family for the dinner they brought me in the Nebraska KOA. I was feeling very low until you arrived. Figuring out where I was and looking for the California license plate was clever.

Even with a KOA in Nebraska, which would a lot smaller then RMNP, how would this family know to look for her there? It's made to sound as if it was a chance thing, but I dunno.

Yes, I found that weird as well.

Lainey makes some good points. And I still find it really telling that not one poster from here has come forward and said they have met her or had any kind of contact from her. If anyone had, they would have very likely reported it by now and on this thread.

I have had contact from her (e-mail through FJ), but no in person contact.

I donated, but I always figured even if it was all a lie, I'd pay to be entertained at a movie theater, concert, book, etc., and I'd rather err on the side of believing someone. There cetainly are Ruths out there and I hope that someone is helping them.

This is patently ridiculous, which I hope people realize, but just to clear things up I will address it.

No one on the mod team is or ever has been RR :roll: If you mean a "prominent former poster" from FJ, depending on who it is, they likely darn well know that and are just trying to cause more drama. Such silliness.

Alecto is also not RR. People have actually met Alecto in real life for one thing and there are pictures that prove that, so that kind of shoots that theory down.

I will say that when the transition first happened and RR posted about that weird email she got saying that she was either Alecto or Vycike or they were all the same person or whatever that was, I did reach out to her. She made it clear at that time, she had no interest in telling me her real identity and I didn't really feel a need to push for it at that time. She did tell me that she just had her name legally changed, as well.

We (the administration of FJ) have been very careful to make sure that no rules have been broken regarding solicitation directly on FJ and we would be as happy as anyone if the truth would just out, as it always does.

Yes, the Alecto is RR thing is ludicrous. No worries! Even the poster on GOMI said it was just a wild conspiracy theory, but that sort of joke develops legs of its own.

I think you (the administration of FJ) are doing very well, Curious. This sort of thing is genuinely hard to deal with. Thanks all.

I've had doubts about Ruth's story for a long time. I bit my tongue because she had so many ardent defenders but couldn't help rolling my eyes every time she posted on the board with a new accident/disaster/hater/money problem. A couple of recent posts confirmed my belief the story was false: 1.) Her father's death - A lack of an obituary doesn't bother me (although very convenient the brother decided to not publish one because of Ruth) but the fact there were no reports of a well-known ATI/Gothard follower dying on any of the other blogs FJ tracks was pretty suspicious. When she first reported it I wondered if we would start reading about other ATI families reacting/mentioning his death, thus confirming Ruth's story. Nothing was found. I also thought a brother stepping into the replace the dad's role as the evil patriarch was super convenient and expected him to eventually comment on her blog whenever she needed to stir up some pity.

2.) The catty coworkers - I already thought the job & move had a fairy tale quality to it but her story about her coworkers commenting on her peanut butter & jelly sandwich was too much. Maybe I'm naive but who takes the time and/or pays enough attention during their break to mock someone's freaking lunch, especially a new coworker? I've worked with some jerks but this seemed like some sort of movie moment. I know it's a small detail when there are already so many inconsistancies but this as well as the boss's comment on her clothes on the first day caused my bullshit meter to spike.

martian, I apparently missed your post further upthread before the thread went crazy. Was wondering if anyone had any contact is all. I won't ask any questions about your contact with her.

Thank you.

Was that a typo? I think that discussion is on GOMI not TWOP. I admit I raced over to TWOP to see whether Howard was having conniptions over Boards on Boards posts! She could have been really busy swiffering but usually can't resist a pissy reprimand if she has had to delete posts.

Oops sorry, yes I meant GOMI. I don't usually read either one and got them confused.

The commenter who said the admin might be in on it said they used to post frequently here at FJ. Sorry for the confusion.

Over at GOMI someone linked to an FJ thread where Ruth did say she was studying Library Science and Literature. Here's the thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8104

Ruth's post (bolding mine):

So, what university in California offers a bachelor's degree in library science? I could only find schools with master's programs when I searched.

I'm still catching up (8 pages left to go) but wanted to post this before I forget. Is is possible that she meant that she minored in LS with a major in Lit? Yeah, it's a stretch, I know.

I've got an MLS, and an additional minor in LibSci - hadn't kept up with her blog enough to realize RR's job situation. I had quite a few interviews for library jobs when I was looking (12+ years ago), and even then getting one sight-unseen would have been unheard of. I had one phone interview, but it was preliminary with an in-person interview to come later. It's a tough market, especially if you live anywhere near a school offering MLIS degrees, which I do (which is why I'm not working with my degree). The local markets are flooded with grads who are begging for work, even part-time.

I had quite a few interviews for library jobs when I was looking (12+ years ago), and even then getting one sight-unseen would have been unheard of. I had one phone interview, but it was preliminary with an in-person interview to come later. It's a tough market, especially if you live anywhere near a school offering MLIS degrees, which I do (which is why I'm not working with my degree). The local markets are flooded with grads who are begging for work, even part-time.

The world has changed a lot in the last 12 years. A phone interview (vs an initial phone screening) in my field would have been unheard of then, but even 10 years ago I had phone interviews for my current job, which involved managing people in 4 locations in 2 different countries, and we recently interviewed managerial candidates in several locations; all of the interviews were conducted by videoconference by people at 3 different sites. It would have to be a pretty high-level executive position to warrant the expense of flying 4 or 5 people in from all over the country to interview.

I never got the impression that our blogger-in-question had a degree in library science or that she was working as a librarian. I believe she said she was working in a library, helping undergrads do their research.

I am a librarian in a University. With budget cuts it would not be totally unheard of I suppose to hire only based on phone interview and reference checks. Now a STAFF position (no degree required), I would imagine that could be possible if no one locally took the job and they agreed to come w/o moving expenses. But for an MLS/MILS position that would be unusual.

So has anyone here ever said which family she supposedly comes from. I never give anyone money, but I have felt sympathy.

Archived