IGNORED

100 Things a Teen Age Girl Wants to Know

happy atheist

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninsca ... s_a_te.php

The article is about a book/pamphlet from the 1960s, written by WV Grant, a faith-healer.

He doesn't seem to understand the concept of a "question" in the Q&A section:

Q. Sometimes I feel tempted to call him on the telephone.

A. It is the boy's place to call you. You do not want to have the name of running after people. It largely depends upon why you are calling him. If you have a good reason, sometimes it is all right. For instance, if he has been sick, and you really wonder if he is better, he will appreciate a call. It is not good ethics to call him just to get acquainted with him.

Q. I sometimes help him with his homework.

A. Well, sometimes it is all right to do this. But you are endangering your future and security to make a date with a boy who is in the habit of making real poor grades. Most dates lead to marriage.

We've come a long way, baby.

Q. Sometimes I feel tempted to call him on the telephone.

A. It is the boy's place to call you. You do not want to have the name of running after people. It largely depends upon why you are calling him. If you have a good reason, sometimes it is all right. For instance, if he has been sick, and you really wonder if he is better, he will appreciate a call. It is not good ethics to call him just to get acquainted with him.

"Hey, my parents are gone for the weekend. Wanna come over?"

and in later years...

"Hey, my kids are gone for the weekend. Wanna come over?"

So are those good enough reasons to call a guy? I hope so, because I wouldn't want to have the name of running after people.

I think it's fine as long as you aren't calling him to get acquainted with him. We wouldn't want that to happen!

Sadly, I know a lot of people who aren't fundie who basically subscribe to the exact same mentality. Mention initiating a conversation with a guy to them and they look at you like you're a Martian. I think this was a fairly common idea of the time without always being connected to religion.

Archived