IGNORED

Cannibalism at Jamestown - what now, Dougie?

hoipolloi

Oh I don't know, he does have some meat on his bones. So he has some use I suppose. Now I wonder which intern would get his chipolata? I doubt there would be much meat on that.

Yes, the Mennonites were founded by a man named Menno Simons who lived from the 1490s to the 1560s, so they go back quite a ways, really. :)

I was way off there! I had thought they were later. Appreciate the correction.

The new York times has a good article on this today, complete with speculation that the girl was the daughter of someone wealthy and grew up in the south. I'm on tapa or I'd quote it, but they believe she came over on the ships in June/July and was dead and buried before she was dug up, butchered and eaten. They even speculate on how her brain was removed.

So, dougie.... Digging up the dead and bashing their skulls with rocks is pretty sexy, isn't it? This fuckwad wouldn't know how to survive if he had to... Better hope he doesn't get stranded on his polar bear hunt!

Doug Phillips is a tool.

Yes, the Amish didn't come into being until the very late 1600s/early 1700s. The Mennonites were earlier, but I don't know if they called themselves that at first. But either way, that headcovering isn't typical of either group, historically or currently. It's just what women wore in their daily lives back then. :)

Yep, just an average very-late Elizabethan/early-to-mid Jacobean coif (not my site, but a good example of a re-creation with documentation): extremecostuming.com/reproductions/vacoift281975.html

Edited to add that Doug Phillips is a Tool! :music-tool:

I'm sure Dougie's liver would be lovely with some fava beans and a nice chianti. It's Sola's avatar... I could think of nothing else.

HAHA! I was thinking the exact same thing. Fortunately, since I'm pretty sure VFers stay away from alcohol and other bodily "defilements," his liver will be nice and large, healthy and might feed many.

My family is going to Colonial Williamsburg (near Jamestown) in two weeks to celebrate my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. Hope we don't get the overwhelming urge to chow down on my younger sister, or something! : )

And the ladies are going to go to high tea at the Williamsburg Inn. Alas, I don't have any VF dress up gowns for the occasion.

My family is going to Colonial Williamsburg (near Jamestown) in two weeks to celebrate my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. Hope we don't get the overwhelming urge to chow down on my younger sister, or something! : )

And the ladies are going to go to high tea at the Williamsburg Inn. Alas, I don't have any VF dress up gowns for the occasion.

:lol: You'll be fine. There was no Starving Time in Williamsburg's history. But if you can, make a side trip to Jamestown, it's a fascinating place. You might even get to see some archaeology going on, the season has started up again. :)

This thread made me realize- only 7 years until 2020, so y'all best be marking your calendars for some ye olde Pilgrim-tastic festivities! No, actually, mark your calendars for the few years preceding that, when I'm guessing various moments that led to the Pilgrims' journey (something involving Holland, for instance) will be remembered as a way to build up to this most illustrious costumed extravaganza.

As it happens, last week I was trying to find a few books to extract from my tightly packed bookcase (including books that are positioned slant ways, sideways, every ways you can imagine), which is not an easy task because I hate to get rid of books. Despite its historical interest to me, I had decided to donate "Of Plymouth Plantation" by William Bradford because I find it hard to read old timey primary sources. But wait, what's that on the outer binding?

"Vision Forum"

So promptly back on my shelf it went! If I go to Pilgrim-Fest 2020, do you think Doug himself might sign it for me?!?!?

Archived