IGNORED

Men Needed For a Hazardous Journey!

twin2

It sounds like the kind of thing a group of 6 year olds would think of, while pretending to wrestle imaginary alligators in the back garden, camping in their blanket fort and pretending the stairs are a mountain.

I can't get over the name. What adult would name something Hazardous Journey Society? Sounds like something from Our Gang a la He-Man Women Haters Club.

They settled for that, because "The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen" was already taken.

It sounds like the kind of thing a group of 6 year olds would think of, while pretending to wrestle imaginary alligators in the back garden, camping in their blanket fort and pretending the stairs are a mountain.

I'm kind of surprised Dougie hasn't hung a "No Girls Allowed" sign on the Hazardous Journeys Society web page.

If they are doing Alaska as part of their Hazardous Journey series, they shouldn't be going in July. They should be going in January, when the weather truly is hazardous. Doug (Phillips is a Tool) is a sissy.

And as a previous poster said, he's not just a tool, he's the entire toolshed.

Google--don't forget that Doug Phillips is a tool. :music-tool:

*riffle*

Does Google pick it up any more? I can't see the Snark section unless I am signed into fj.

This is my first VF post. I'm trying to understand these guys, but am having some difficulty: The men believe in women and children first. They're dedicated to the well-being of their families, so they leave their wives and children alone to spend their vacation time and thousands of dollars to go on trips with other men. Doing this makes them better husbands and fathers.

Am I missing something?

This is my first VF post. I'm trying to understand these guys, but am having some difficulty: The men believe in women and children first. They're dedicated to the well-being of their families, so they leave their wives and children alone to spend their vacation time and thousands of dollars to go on trips with other men. Doing this makes them better husbands and fathers.

Am I missing something?

That's about it. Plus anacondas.

This is my first VF post. I'm trying to understand these guys, but am having some difficulty: The men believe in women and children first. They're dedicated to the well-being of their families, so they leave their wives and children alone to spend their vacation time and thousands of dollars to go on trips with other men. Doing this makes them better husbands and fathers and makes Doug Phillips money.

Am I missing something?

Just one, little thing.

Someone should sign up for a Hazardous Journey, then make a fuss about their false advertising. Complain about the remarkable lack of hazards encountered. Then again, maybe trying to function without their wives waiting on them counts as a Hazard to Doug Phillips is a tool and friends. And Doug Phillips is a tool seems like the type to start crying when his plane hits turbulence.

If they are doing Alaska as part of their Hazardous Journey series, they shouldn't be going in July. They should be going in January, when the weather truly is hazardous. Doug (Phillips is a Tool) is a sissy.

And as a previous poster said, he's not just a tool, he's the entire toolshed.

Not even January--I'd like to see them drive the Al-Can in March, sleeping in their cars with the heaters running all night so their lungs don't freeze, the way my husband did.

Hell, I'd like to see them take any "Hazardous Journey" that isn't already described in a brochure printed by someone else!

IF Doug & his manly men wanted to read about people who have actual hazardous journeys, may I recommend looking at the people who have done the Alaska Wilderness Classic? Or the AK Wilderness Classic Ski race? Those are people who travel hundreds of miles as fast as possible. Or they could learn how to do something actually cool, and probably less expensive than a tourist trap, and backpack instead of staying at a lodge.

Maggie Mae, every time I see your screen name, I start singing one of my favorite songs. Is that where your screen name comes from?

Maggie Mae, every time I see your screen name, I start singing one of my favorite songs. Is that where your screen name comes from?

If you mean Rod Steward, no, but it's ok! I took it from the Beatle's albulm, "Let it Be." They only sing, like, 40 seconds of it, but it's a traditional folk song about, i think, a prostitute who robs people.

If you mean Rod Steward, no, but it's ok! I took it from the Beatle's albulm, "Let it Be." They only sing, like, 40 seconds of it, but it's a traditional folk song about, i think, a prostitute who robs people.

I meant Rod. My oldest sister had Let It Be and it was a good album.

I reposted this on my FB with this caption: (also, note, I'm a little bitter about this because I WAS a fundie daughter - always guilt tripped into being "home/in her place", and because right now I'm home alone with 2 toddlers while my husband is off on a "hazardous journey" to the East Coast for his JOB. My husband would NEVER consider spending this much time/money on a vacation away from me...we spend money, but it's together, because we actually find doing things as a couple more rewarding than running off in our gender-specific groups. Imagine that.)

BAHAHAHAHAHA. Figures Doug Phillips would create a fantastically ridiculous mess like this. Howsabout you "explore" the hazardous journeys that firemen take, or doctors doing life saving surgeries, or missionaries entering hostile territories to give the Gospel. Just sayin'...it makes your "religion" look like a bunch of lazy socialites who happen to have Bibles. My husband would never go on something like this. Not because he's ANY less of a man, but because he travel for WORK, and not spending money on frivolous VACATIONS that profit nothing. And why are you sending the men on this anyway? The women in your little religious group - the ones stuck at home babysitting, homeschooling, breeding...so you are free to gallivant off like a bunch of little Boy Scouts - are the ones who need a break, which clearly, this is.

Luxurious lodge "boot camp" (that was somewhere in the ad copy, which caused my eyes to spasm in my head) in the Alaskan summer is such a great way for dominonists to take dominion over the lodge conference room with their endless bloviating about how manly and godly they are.

Real Alaskans, like the ones who live there through the winter, don't endlessly pat themselves on the back about their "manliness" because they walk a couple of miles and whatnot. Maybe they tell stories about the times they almost froze to death in the -40 weather when they accidentally locked themselves out, or the time they clawed their way through an icy river after accidentally falling in, or the time they spent two weeks backpacking solo and ran into grizzly bears, or how they got beaten up by other Alaskans, etc etc etc. These stories aren't regulated to men, either. Women also live in Alaska year-round, Doug Philips is a tool. Shit happens when you live in harsh places, and it doesn't stop to assess which gender you are.

The thing that keeps coming back to me is that these are just tours. They aren't even charters. They're tours that are available to absolutely anybody who can pay (with some exceptions depending on how prepared the tour operators are to accommodate physical disabilities). The tour operators don't sell them as "hazardous journeys" or "Xtreme" or whatever. They're just frickin' tours!

If Doug Phillips had the honesty to sell them as what they really are, which is men's group junkets, he wouldn't be such a playacting tool.

Also, real Alaskans include women loggers, women commercial fishermen (the ones I know prefer "fishermen"), women truck drivers, and women like Stacie Cavner, the co-owner and co-founder of Stonewood Lodge, where the latest "Hazardous Journey" is due to take place. Is anyone surprised that this husband and wife operation is described by the HJ copywriter as if Preston Cavner were the only host and "his wife and young son" just lived at the lodge? Her name--her maiden name, no less--is on the business, but Phillips's intern doesn't bother to mention it.

They settled for that, because "The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen" was already taken.

There is the overused abbreviation LOL, and then there's SWLASTD--Shrieking With Laughter And Scaring The Dog. You, Jan, are snarktastic.

There is the overused abbreviation LOL, and then there's SWLASTD--Shrieking With Laughter And Scaring The Dog. You, Jan, are snarktastic.

Thank you so much, Hane. Coming from you, that's high praise indeed.

I reposted this on my FB with this caption: (also, note, I'm a little bitter about this because I WAS a fundie daughter - always guilt tripped into being "home/in her place", and because right now I'm home alone with 2 toddlers while my husband is off on a "hazardous journey" to the East Coast for his JOB. My husband would NEVER consider spending this much time/money on a vacation away from me...we spend money, but it's together, because we actually find doing things as a couple more rewarding than running off in our gender-specific groups. Imagine that.)

BAHAHAHAHAHA. Figures Doug Phillips would create a fantastically ridiculous mess like this. Howsabout you "explore" the hazardous journeys that firemen take, or doctors doing life saving surgeries, or missionaries entering hostile territories to give the Gospel. Just sayin'...it makes your "religion" look like a bunch of lazy socialites who happen to have Bibles. My husband would never go on something like this. Not because he's ANY less of a man, but because he travel for WORK, and not spending money on frivolous VACATIONS that profit nothing. And why are you sending the men on this anyway? The women in your little religious group - the ones stuck at home babysitting, homeschooling, breeding...so you are free to gallivant off like a bunch of little Boy Scouts - are the ones who need a break, which clearly, this is.

For all we know, the wives and daughters are probably delighted to have the wankers out from underfoot.

snarkyjan shoots--snarkyjan scores! She's on a roll!

Kind of OT: I'm in the company of a community theater production of "The Producers," and this particular number reminds me SOOOOOOOO much of Dougie:

EC9Fq6EoBeo

(I'm playing "Last AND least, lighting designer Shirley Markowitz," a nun, and a Little Old Lady, and my son-in-law is playing Carmen Ghia. Come to godless central Connecticut to see a play that both offends everybody, and is guaranteed to give fundies a stroke!)

These folks crashed their plane into a house at the end of Merrill Field (Anchorage) two summers ago. Badly injured. A four-year-old died. Wife lost her legs. NTSB reports said gross pilot error. Heavily overloaded and displaced center of gravity.

Port Alsworth is an evangelical Christian enclave. Children's summer bible camps, Master's Commission retreats, millionaire evangelist Billy Graham's son, Franklin Graham, and their charity, Samaritan's Purse. They seed their "town" by recruiting Christian couples to fly up there and do missionary "internships" and Christian training programs. Some of 'em stay to live.

Franklin Graham and the Alsworths are associated with a million-dollar "non-profit," the Missionary Aviation Repair Center in a nearby town.

http://www.marcalaska.org/

According to their literature, the "host" for the Christian Boys' Excellent Adventure is Austin Collins. He found God a couple of years ago, at the Graham's Samaritan Lodge Alaska, just down from the Stonewood Lodge.

http://www.breakingchristiannews.com/ar ... l?ID=10671

Not to minimize their tragedy, but it bothers me that they didn't underwrite hospital bills for the 16-year-old babysitter also in the plane and severely injured. The Texas teenager's parents were left with medical bills and associated expenses while their daughter was in a Seattle hospital and the rehab when she was able to return home.

But hey, if the boys taking the Hazardous Journey play their cards right, they might be able to get rides from an international mining operation next door. Building one of the largest open-pit mines in the world. They've got luxury Pilates jets. Air limo service.

http://www.savebristolbay.org/

Archived