IGNORED

GOP Lawmaker Calls Women 'Vaginas' In Email

doggie

Nope. Fear of Flying, by Erica Jong. "German toilets are really the key to the horrors of the Third Reich. People who can build toilets like this are capable of anything"

and

"Germans have their shit to admire. Lacking this, the Italians make sculptures and paintings."

I thought it was Fear of Flying, but didn't want to swear to it--I read it back in the '70s when it first came out.

And, oy vey--I think this phenomenon explains certain attitudes of my two German mothers-in-law.

and finally if you find the noun vagina insulting or in some way offensive then perhaps a better exercise might be for you to re-examine your psyche.

>

> Rep. Peter T. Hansen

Uh-huh, and I'm certain he said the same to the Michigan Republicans who censured the women who dared to speak the word out loud during legislature hearings.

So amusing how he tried to turn the blame around while still completely missing the point of why his usage was insulting.

Rep. Hansen = Never gonna get it.

He may know about the word "vagina" but he certainly doesn't have enough sense to know when to use an apostrophe correctly. Really, state rep. Hansen, "vagina's?"

Since he is such an asshole already, perhaps an appropriate punishment would be to assign him to a detailed study on the "bowels of Amsterdam" with which he seems so fascinated in his original screed.

It's probably wrong that my first thought on reading his idiocy was to cringe at the misuse of an apostrophe. I mean, it's not like I would expect better of this guy in any other area, but a state representative should know how to properly pluralize a noun.

If you would like to read the report from today's local paper here you go:

http://www.sentinelsource.com/news/state_regional/state-rep-from-amherst-seeking-shock-value-with-children-and/article_f2b2415b-1ec5-5b1d-ae58-d61ff3572cf5.html

*link not broken because it is the local paper.

I asked my father about it this afternoon and he had never read the mass email. Off he went to check his email. Since it

came from a rather offensive republican I am sure he will have to search his spam folder.

You'd think that a guy whose first name is a double-entendre would be more careful, or at least less eager for attention.

He doesn't think it's unusual because he's always referred to as dick or asshole and thought it was just another way of addressing folk.

What was his point? I've read the statement several times and even when I substitute the word women for vagina, I still don't get his point

Except that the ass hole didn't even apologize at first. Here is the first response:

This idiot is in my state. Luckily my father is also in the NH legislature and is his complete opposite.

So well-educated he doesn't know how to use an apostrophe?

ETA: From the news article linked above:

It’s clear there are many people who don’t appreciate the nuances of good writing.

And you're one of them.

My point in the choice of words was two-fold, one was shock content and the other was to try to get into the mind of the perpetrator.

No, just no. If you think misogyny can be manipulated for shock value, you shouldn't be representing a population that's 50% female (or, hell, 1% female). Besides, the way the whole thing is written implies that he's not writing from the point of view of a criminal; he's writing from the point of view of a supporter of Stand Your Ground laws. You can't jump into the mind of someone else for one word and then jump back out, not if you want to claim it's "good writing" (which, besides the use of the word "vagina", it just isn't).

Archived