IGNORED

Close Encounters of the Fundie Kind

happy atheist

Apparently Gothard has a foot fetish

Goody, now I know how to repel him if I ever run into him. I have some busted-ass feet! :P

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe he was one of those Christians for Israel (or whatever they're called), who pretty much love Israel, since it's gotta be around long enough to be destroyed to usher in the Rapture and Armageddon?

You're probably right. I expected to see a Bob Jones parking sticker!

On Recovering Grace, about the reports of Gothard sexually harassing interns young enough to be his grandaughters, a common thing in them is him trying to get them to take their shoes off, and then touching their bare feet with his.

On Recovering Grace, about the reports of Gothard sexually harassing interns young enough to be his grandaughters, a common thing in them is him trying to get them to take their shoes off, and then touching their bare feet with his.

Ewwwww.

I'm sure the young women have no idea they are being sexually harassed. How sad.

Totally off-topic, but I just noticed that one of the banner ads I'm getting on FJ this evening is for Liberty University.

I'm pretty sure Jerry Falwell would not approve.

Carry on.

My daughter in law's aunt posted this on Facebook:

An atheist was seated next to a little girl on an airplane and he turned

to her and said, "Do you want to talk? Flights go quicker if you strike

up a conversation with your fellow passenger."

The little girl, who had just started to read her book, replied to the total

stranger, "What would you want to talk about?"

"Oh, I don't know," said the atheist. "How about why there is no God,

or no Heaven or Hell, or no life after death?" as he smiled smugly.

"Okay," she said. "Those could be interesting topics but let me ask

you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same

stuff - grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns

out a flat patty, but a horse produces clumps. Why do you suppose that is?"

The atheist, visibly surprised by the little girl's intelligence,

thinks about it and says, "Hmmm, I have no idea." To which

the little girl replies, "Do you really feel qualified to discuss

God, Heaven and Hell, or life after death, when you don't know shit?"

And then she went back to reading her book.

I couldn't help myself. I posted "Would I be allowed to discuss if I know the answer to the question? LOL"

Now I'm getting in trouble.

But I particularly disliked the "smiled smugly" description of the Atheist. If positions were reversed and I refered to a smugly smiling Christian, there would be hell to pay!

IDK know if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't think it warranted its own thread.

I guess FJ's Google/AdSense thinks I am a fundy quiverfull mama! I am currently seeing a banner ad on the Snark homepage. The ad is for the Nissan NV passenger van. It seats 12. It is pretty snazzy looking for a "church" van.

Not quite a sighting, but still disturbing:

Our church library has a list to suggest new items for the librarian to order. Someone up-list from me requested Summer with the Moodys. *gag*

A sighting from my hubby:

He was at the city pool in our area and in walked a young woman in full burka. She swam in the whole burka and water shoes. I am kicking myself for not going with him; it was definitely something you don't see everyday. Especially in Texas.

A sighting from my hubby:

He was at the city pool in our area and in walked a young woman in full burka. She swam in the whole burka and water shoes. I am kicking myself for not going with him; it was definitely something you don't see everyday. Especially in Texas.

Was it a swim burka? Talk about heavy!

This reminds me of when I went to Bondi Beach in Sydney. There were two women walking down the beach parallel to each other. One was in a burka and one was in nothing but a thong and a cowboy hat. I thought, God damn I love Australia!

IDK know if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't think it warranted its own thread.

I guess FJ's Google/AdSense thinks I am a fundy quiverfull mama! I am currently seeing a banner ad on the Snark homepage. The ad is for the Nissan NV passenger van. It seats 12. It is pretty snazzy looking for a "church" van.

It's a sign from the LORD, telling you that you need to buy it and donate it to XGayGreg and Dede for their scam ministry.

I keep getting ads for Regent University and the Heritage Foundation. Praise the Lord. : )

I get ads that assume that I'm single and pregnant and longing to give my baby away to a good Christian family.

I live on the US/Mexico border and there is a large community of Mennonites living just south of Ciudad Juarez in Mexico. I see them quite often while out doing my shopping. They tend to frequent Walmart, Kmart, and the fabric store (sometimes Joann, sometimes Hobby Lobby). They dress traditionally, so they stand out like sore thumbs. Of course, they're usually blonde and very light skinned too, which definitely sticks out in this city. They only speak Dutch and Spanish...which is an odd combo. My interactions with them have varied...some will smile back at me, some ignore me, etc. Apparently, though, they're all moving to Russia in 2014 due to increased violence and drought. If anything I've noticed an increase in how many I see in town, but BF pointed out that it could be they're moving north from the interior of Mexico in preparation for the move. Years ago there were rumors of some of them getting involved with the narcos and earning the name "Narcomennonites." This has been widely refuted, and there is evidence to suggest that some of them may have been paying protection money just to keep their land. Interesting stuff. I've never stopped to talk to any of them, though.

My daughter in law's aunt posted this on Facebook:

An atheist was seated next to a little girl on an airplane and he turned

to her and said, "Do you want to talk? Flights go quicker if you strike

up a conversation with your fellow passenger."

The little girl, who had just started to read her book, replied to the total

stranger, "What would you want to talk about?"

"Oh, I don't know," said the atheist. "How about why there is no God,

or...................you don't know shit?"

And then she went back to reading her book.

I couldn't help myself. I posted "Would I be allowed to discuss if I know the answer to the question? LOL"

Now I'm getting in trouble.

But I particularly disliked the "smiled smugly" description of the Atheist. If positions were reversed and I refered to a smugly smiling Christian, there would be hell to pay!

-and this has happened how many times?

I have yet to encounter an atheist-missionary (if you don't count the "Bright Movement"-bullies, whom I've thanfully never met), but counting US-airports only I've been missioned to by mormons, seventh day adventists, catholics, evangelicals and buddhists.

Yesterday while waiting in my car for an older (she hates being thought of as elderly!) friend to come out of the supermarket I was approached by a young girl (in a tee shirt proudly declaring her a missionary). She attempted to sell me some "books" on nutrition. I asked her who she was and where was she from. She said she was from Ghana (WTF?) and a missionary for 7th Day Adventists. I asked her whether she was here (inner city northeast area) to convert people to Christianity or Christians to 7th Day Adventists. Really confused her. Finally she said convert people to Christianity. Okay......., so you come FROM Ghana to the northeast US inner city to convert people to Christianity? Yep, yet she didn't bother the Muslim brother parked next to me selling incense and bean pies out the back of his truck (good stuff). Who thought coming from a third world country to the US to bother people in a parking lot of a supermarket was a good idea?

I'm not sure if Scientologists count as close encounters of the Fundie kind, but I don't think I've told this story here before and I consider Scientologists a kind of fundamentalist group.

I was walking by a Scientology centre in the city (unfortunately it's practically next door to my bank). There were people on the footpath offering free personality tests and stress tests. One of them accosted me and asked if I wanted a free personality test that could help me on the path to becoming a better person. Normally I'd say 'No, thanks' and keep walking, but I was feeling kind of jaunty and decided to be an asshole.

I said to them "Oh, really? Can Scientology help me with my homosexual urges?"

She hesitated and then told me yes, it can definitely help me get over those negative thoughts (no doubt she was thinking of that 1.1 on the tone scale all homos are assigned - covert hostility).

I looked her right in the eye and said 'Great, 'cause I'm REALLY feeling them right now." The look on her face was priceless. She didn't actually get that I was screwing with her, though. She still tried to get me in the door and I had to tell her I was fucking with her and I'm not going anywhere near their personality tests.

I felt pretty fucking clever after that, until I realised it was a dick move to pick on the plebs out the front doing the grunt work., not to mention it just reinforces the idea that gay people ARE covertly hostile. So I regret doing that.

Today's sightings included two Catholic religious sisters, eight women in hijab including one chador, three Mennonites (I'm guessing they're Mennonite), two Orthodox Jewish women, and one evangelical/fundie family with at least a dozen children. All I have to do is go to one of our large medical centers and then to the nearby mall. The stockings on the one Jewish woman got my attention. I'm used to the opaque black ones, but these were not tights but some kind of opaque nude tone ones that I'd never seen before.

I ran into young couple at American Eagle recently. The wife was wearing an abaya and veil, while her husband was wearing mall brands from head to toe and buying more. She was following him around the store pushing a bulky stroller and minding a cranky toddler while he ran around buying all kinds of clothes. He only talked to the toddler, never to his wife. It made my blood boil. He gets to spend money and enjoy fashion while she has to act and look like his shadow.

I feel stabby every time I see a woman in full hijab accompanying her menfolk who are in short-sleeved Western clothes. Especially in hot weather. If you want to make your wimmen dress up in middle-ages garb, please at least do the same.

Not an encounter, but a funny I just saw on Pinterest that I thought folks would get a kick out of, especially if you're a Star Wars fan. I can't figure out how to get the image in the message, but here's the URL:

media-cache-ak2.pinimg.com/originals/15/8e/bc/158ebcbe9cdde85ac23044c6b89e2900.jpg

Archived