IGNORED

Lori Alexander: Medicine is Bad, Mmkay?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They just closed their eyes, pointed to a diagram of the human body, and whatever organ it landed on they chose a random problem that could happen with it that they could say vaccines caused.

And can anybody explain how "immunizations mess up the gut flora"? I'd really like to understand that one.

First time I heard about it and gut microbioma is one of my favorite reading topics.

You don't want to get any healthcare professional started about what some very ignorant people think they know about "gut flora" or "healthy guts". I have had patients INSIST that injections somehow actually end up being absorbed in their stomach. Don't you know that insulin is absorbed by the stomach which processes sugars and makes insulin? Note that I used patients, plural. ;)

I've had other patients state that the way yogurt might help prevent a yeast infection or C diff caused by antibiotics is to insert it vaginally/rectally.

The people who complain the most loudly about the overuse of antibiotics and the healthcare system are the same ones that take their child on their 2nd day of an ear infection to the ER to get meds. It's totally irrelevant to them that most of these infections are viral, because they don't want to put up with a child who is cranky or won't sleep.

Infuriating. :evil:

Lori needs to go and read some books written during her favorite era ( Victorian) to see what life was really like when people ate only natural unprocessed food, went to church obsessively and believed that infectious diseases were spread through bad air (miasmas). She would see that Queen Victoria's daughter, several of her grandchildren, and millions of others across the world died from diphtheria- a disease no longer seen in much of the world because of vaccination. She would see that Queen Victoria's son, grandsons and great grandsons die of hemophilia- a condition that it competely controllbale nowadays with replacement factor (I'd love to see Lori organically pray away a bleed). She'd see doctors who recommended that you not place your young daughter in the same bed as her uncle as she might catch gonorrhea "from the sheets". That gonorrhea, being incurable in the days before antibiotics, would likely have renedered her infertile. Tough to eat and exercise your way out of that one. Lori doesn't even need to go back in time to see all this of course. She can head to any number of poor nations where people eat a wonderfully organic diet, exercise (only way to get around is to walk) and she will see people walking for days to get to a clinic that can give them modern medicine. Lori is LUCKY she can spout this trash because she has never had to deal with having a serious illness and no access to healthcare, but instead of being grateful she points to her own wonderful example and chastizes those who are ill. She is vile.

YES. Thank you. I have been saying for ages that this anti-modern medicine crap comes from a place of incredible blind privilege. People like Lori, their happy shiny organic lives are built on years of incredible medical advancements, and they spit on the very thing that has given them health and lifespan and fertility and children who actually survive. (Not saying the medical profession is incapable of error or even outright evil. Obviously not. But medical advancements have changed all our lives in ways so profound we have, as a society, forgotten what things were like before. Seriously, check out this http://www.cracked.com/article_20059_10-old-timey-medical-treatments-inspired-by-your-nightmares.html and see how horrified you are (warning for deeply disturbing images). You guys. They used to cut away the entire fucking side of your chest and slice open your lung to drain off pus in a desperate attempt to treat pneumonia.)

The whole blaming-the-victim mentality seriously pisses me off. Yeah, it's a good idea to do whatever you can to stay healthy. But the entirety of human history should tell you that often isn't enough. I eat a healthy diet and I exercise and a couple months ago I got pneumonia right after a mild head cold. In a matter of hours I went from sniffling and mild sore throat to 104-degree fever, excruciating chest pain, and rattling when I breathed. Went to a poor-person clinic 'cause I can't afford anything else, and got told "You have the flu. You'll be fine. No need for antibiotics. Go home." Went home, kept getting worse, went to a different poor-person clinic and was rushed to x-ray and given three different kinds of powerful medications so I wouldn't die. But it's my fault. Because I haven't been drinking my kefir. And the antibiotics that saved my life when I tried to die of raging strep three different times, and again this winter with pneumonia, are bad and unnecessary. GOD I get tired of hearing that.

YES. Thank you. I have been saying for ages that this anti-modern medicine crap comes from a place of incredible blind privilege. People like Lori, their happy shiny organic lives are built on years of incredible medical advancements, and they spit on the very thing that has given them health and lifespan and fertility and children who actually survive. (Not saying the medical profession is incapable of error or even outright evil. Obviously not. But medical advancements have changed all our lives in ways so profound we have, as a society, forgotten what things were like before. Seriously, check out this http://www.cracked.com/article_20059_10-old-timey-medical-treatments-inspired-by-your-nightmares.html and see how horrified you are (warning for deeply disturbing images). You guys. They used to cut away the entire fucking side of your chest and slice open your lung to drain off pus in a desperate attempt to treat pneumonia.)

The whole blaming-the-victim mentality seriously pisses me off. Yeah, it's a good idea to do whatever you can to stay healthy. But the entirety of human history should tell you that often isn't enough. I eat a healthy diet and I exercise and a couple months ago I got pneumonia right after a mild head cold. In a matter of hours I went from sniffling and mild sore throat to 104-degree fever, excruciating chest pain, and rattling when I breathed. Went to a poor-person clinic 'cause I can't afford anything else, and got told "You have the flu. You'll be fine. No need for antibiotics. Go home." Went home, kept getting worse, went to a different poor-person clinic and was rushed to x-ray and given three different kinds of powerful medications so I wouldn't die. But it's my fault. Because I haven't been drinking my kefir. And the antibiotics that saved my life when I tried to die of raging strep three different times, and again this winter with pneumonia, are bad and unnecessary. GOD I get tired of hearing that.

The problem with this is that some people can't grasp that history really was REAL and see it as a bunch of stories. I remember running into this in high school, and I've run into it further since then.

Now I"m curious about peanut butter...

No, no, no!!!!11!!! Get out the cross and garlic! That which shall never be named has been named!!

Same here. :( :x

I feel your pain (no pun intended. [Okay, maybe a tiiiiny pun intended.]) Three words, guys: pain management clinic. If you have chronic pain, you need to find a doctor that specializes in long term pain management. They certainly aren't scared of prescribing drugs that actually work (after you've tried NSAIDs, rebranded anticonvulsants and antidepressants, physical therapy, etc.) The hard part is finding a pain management doctor that you actually like. *grumble*

Those images were way more disturbing than I was prepared for. :shock:

So, would Lori avail herself of chemo, radiation, biologics? Just curious because I freaking love my husband's oncology team at Sloan Kettering. I have issues with Big Pharma, but there are times when it's nice to have them in your corner.

Archived