IGNORED

Rebeccaeleventy's Dad's post

0 kids n not countin

Check it out, her father has posted about how he came to Christ, he is responding, in particular, to us FJers, so he mentions...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check it out, her father has posted about how he came to Christ, he is, in particular, to us FJers, so he mentions...

Where?

Goddamnit!!!

These people who extoll the magic of Jebus getting them to "overcome" their addictions are dangerous, pure and simple. Praying will not help you recover from your addictions. So, if some poor person buys into that and it fails, where does it leave them? Deciding that they're a failure and the big dude in the sky doesn't really love them enough?

This shit REALLY pisses me off. I had a friend who's an addict buy into this bullshit, and it ended up with him almost committing suicide because he relapsed and decided that he was unworthy of "the love of the Lord", so, therefore, unworthy to live at all.

Goddamnit!!!

These people who extoll the magic of Jebus getting them to "overcome" their addictions are dangerous, pure and simple. Praying will not help you recover from your addictions. So, if some poor person buys into that and it fails, where does it leave them? Deciding that they're a failure and the big dude in the sky doesn't really love them enough?

This shit REALLY pisses me off. I had a friend who's an addict buy into this bullshit, and it ended up with him almost committing suicide because he relapsed and decided that he was unworthy of "the love of the Lord", so, therefore, unworthy to live at all.

Yeah, I have a cousin who just got out of rehab for a meth additiction, and this was "rehab" in the sense it was basically 12 hour a day bible study and they lived there. So yeah, he kicked his habit for now, but he is all about praising Jesus for it and how he likes to soak in God's word and that is what is saving him. I am very worried that he has not learned the tools of how to be a recovering addict in the real word, but I guess we will see. (And before this he was not religious at all, so this is all weird like woah)

Yeah, I have a cousin who just got out of rehab for a meth additiction, and this was "rehab" in the sense it was basically 12 hour a day bible study and they lived there. So yeah, he kicked his habit for now, but he is all about praising Jesus for it and how he likes to soak in God's word and that is what is saving him. I am very worried that he has not learned the tools of how to be a recovering addict in the real word, but I guess we will see. (And before this he was not religious at all, so this is all weird like woah)

If it all falls apart you can try Rational Recovery. It might work better for him if he reverts to his non-religious state.

Goddamnit!!!

The same goes for folks dealing with other types of problems. My ex-fiance, from years ago, was abused as a child; this compounded lingering issues over his mother's death when he was nine. He bought into the praying the problems away and dealing with it all "bibilically" rather than getting the serious psychological help that he needed and this just perpetuated his issues further. He's still very screwed up, years later.

Dear Rebecca's father,

If you have something to say to us, be brave enough to say it here.

You need to realize that most of us aren't sceptical of fundie beliefs because it sounds too easy or we are too old or too young. If that is what you think, then you have absolutely no hope in ever converting any of us. I don't think you have any hope of converting us to your faith anyway, but the fact that you don't seem to even grasp why people don't believe in your god isn't going to help you reach our lost souls.

Bible verses mean nothing to me. The Bible is a very old book that is a reflection of the time it is written. Quoting Harry Potter at me might be more effective.

I've already asked god to show him or herself to me. I used to really, really want to believe in god. Nothing happened. I tried your way, it didn't work. I did the whole confess my sins, ask Jesus into my heart, go forward in church, get baptized Christian way. I tried so very hard to have a relationship with god, but it ends up that having a relationship with something that doesn't exist is pretty hard.

By the way, your daughter is way too good for the Maxwells.

Also, organized paragraphs are your friend. Your whole post was very hard to read.

Dear Rebecca's father,

If you have something to say to us, be brave enough to say it here.

You need to realize that most of us aren't sceptical of fundie beliefs because it sounds too easy or we are too old or too young. If that is what you think, then you have absolutely no hope in ever converting any of us. I don't think you have any hope of converting us to your faith anyway, but the fact that you don't seem to even grasp why people don't believe in your god isn't going to help you reach our lost souls.

Bible verses mean nothing to me. The Bible is a very old book that is a reflection of the time it is written. Quoting Harry Potter at me might be more effective.

I've already asked god to show him or herself to me. I used to really, really want to believe in god. Nothing happened. I tried your way, it didn't work. I did the whole confess my sins, ask Jesus into my heart, go forward in church, get baptized Christian way. I tried so very hard to have a relationship with god, but it ends up that having a relationship with something that doesn't exist is pretty hard.

By the way, your daughter is way too good for the Maxwells.

Also, organized paragraphs are your friend. Your whole post was very hard to read.

Ditto all of this.

I thought that whole entry was horribly written. The formatting was difficult to read. I agree with formergothardite, Bible verses mean nothing.

Jesus may have saved him from his addictions but he didn't give him a brain in the process. Poorly written, poorly structured, clear public temper tantrum. And, as others said, dangerous as hell.

Adults having passive aggressive online tantrums in Jesus' name. There must be a recovery group for that, right?

Wow that was atrociously written. And very simplistic. What, I wonder is the perfect age to read it & understand? Not too young, not too old...

Well hopefully he is a kind Dad to his girls but I wonder at the quality of home schooling the girls got.

We do know they were homeschooled or do I have that wrong?

Now I know where his daughter got her eleventy habit.

No matter how wonderful and transforming you have found your spiritual experience to be, that many explanation points are not appropriate in the writing of a grown man.

I had to peep out of my lurking hole on this one. I am one of those drug addicts and this is the shit that kills people! I have seen it happen too many times to count. God provided treatment centers with people that are trained to deal with the DISEASE of addiction as it encompasses more than just the substance. The drugs are just the most glaring symptom of the disease and is it a disease, not a moral deficiency needing help from on high.

Why the call out to FJ? Did we do something in particular?

I wondered about the call out too. I think he got mad because some of the posts about Rebecca. He has also seen the posts about some FJers discuss being anti-religion or atheists. I think he might jumped on the assumption that everyone on FJ is anti-religious or atheist. His posting about God turned him away from addiction didn't do anything. I think he expected FJers to have instant sympathy or empthaty for him. I do have sympathy for him, but his testimonial isn't going to make me believe in God or religion again.

Guest Anonymous

I don't think he personally home schooled his daughters. While I think there is much that is snarkable about the fundie lifestyle that he promotes, and his self-published book doesn't do him any favours, I can't really snark on his writing style per se. He has a janitorial job and his writing is what it is.

A year or so ago, someone here started a thread suggesting that he looked creepy and that his daughters were abused... on the basis of the family photos they saw on his blog. Around that time, a similar comment was also left on the "His way serves" blog. To be honest, while I don't admire Jerry for his lifestyle, I'm not surprised that he has shared the gospel with us on this occasion. If it were me, I'd probably have reacted much more strongly.

Wow that was atrociously written. And very simplistic. What, I wonder is the perfect age to read it & understand? Not too young, not too old...

Well hopefully he is a kind Dad to his girls but I wonder at the quality of home schooling the girls got.

We do know they were homeschooled or do I have that wrong?

I think the girls were homeschooled and that is part of the reason they are Maxwell fans. I recall that they have promoted chore packs and homeschooling related products on their blog in the past.

I'm not sure what he expected from that very hard to read post. Registration is open here, if he wanted he could come here and post that and respond to any questions about what he believes. I don't think he really wants to converse with us, but now he can ease his conscience by claiming that he witnessed to us.

I've many cousins whose writing is as bad as Jerry's. I've had many students with dsylexia whose writing is as bad or worse.

Get a grip, folks. His lack of formal writing skills doesn't mean he's stupid or that he doesn't care for his daughters or that his faith isn't real to him. He isn't easing his conscience; he's blogging for god's sake.

Jeez, what is it with fundies posting their address/phone/etc on the internet? As if nothing bad could ever come of that ...

He might be very smart, I'm sure he cares for his daughters and I'm sure his faith is real to him, but if you are going to try to present yourself to people and have them be able to read what you are saying, use paragraphs and organize your writing.

He might be very smart, I'm sure he cares for his daughters and I'm sure his faith is real to him, but if you are going to try to present yourself to people and have them be able to read what you are saying, use paragraphs and organize your writing.

It's hisblog; he can do whatever he wants.

It's hisblog; he can do whatever he wants.

Yeah, but... it was an attempt at communication, and it was difficult to understand. He failed at the thing he was trying to do and people are commenting on that. It's a normal response.

Archived