IGNORED

Littlest Pecan Thief: Priscilla & David Waller's Baby

happy atheist

I've been amused by the discussion about how masculine Pris's ring is as it is exactly the same as my mother's ring. I've never thought of it as masculine. She always said it was plain so it wouldn't take away from her beautiful engagement ring. I've never thought to ask about the thickness of the band - it's just how it is.

I'm more interested in Davy's ring. I grew up in a world where only women wear rings. Real men do not because they have jobs as engineers, mechanics, farmers, etc where wearing a ring is likely to lead to your finger being caught in and possibly ripped off by machinery. Rings were for inner city, stuck up, lawyer-types. Fundy men spend a lot of time trying to be super masculine so it seems really contradictory to me that they would then wear a ring. Hubby, who has many fundies in his family, says it is because they want to brag that they are married and are having sex.

(My husband, who is a very gentle, sweet man, would not be seen dead in a ring. We do match though as I don't have one either.)

As for the photos, I was also thinking really bad take off of Anne Geddes. The difference is that Anne Geddes was an artist who used babies as part of her art. Is Davy lending his baby out to people to be a model or is he trying to get a collection of photos for the family album? If it is the former, he should be charging a fee and if the later, he needs to get himself a different photographer. I showed the photos to hubby who said "they do know it's a baby, don't they?".

Yes, wearing a ring can be extremely dangerous when you do manual work, my hubby wears his 2 rings (wedding band and the Celtic ring I bought us in Ireland last year) on a gold chain each time he has to do a work where he could injured his hand with a ring... That's the safe think to do !

Regarding the matching/non matching band discussion, to each his own. I have seen a lot of different trends, it depends of the couple taste, well-off people usually get a diamond ring for the wife but plain gold for the husband...

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting how traditions different isn't it ... all my friends have diamond rings as engagement rings rather than wedding rings. I remember reading in a book on engagement & wedding etiquette that the man should by his potential bride a diamond engagement ring that cost 4 weeks salary.

Interesting how traditions different isn't it ... all my friends have diamond rings as engagement rings rather than wedding rings. I remember reading in a book on engagement & wedding etiquette that the man should by his potential bride a diamond engagement ring that cost 4 weeks salary.

I was told that it was a year's salary :shock: and was then told to get married to a rich man.

that just reminds me of the Archer quote "I spent two months' salary on that ring!" "yes, but you make jack shit!"

I've always found it weird when wedding rings *don't* match. They're meant to show you belong together!

My female, married friends in North America mostly all have something with diamonds, and my female, married friends in Germany mostly all have plain gold wedding bands. I think it mostly comes down to what's normal where you come from.

In France, it's common in "bourgeoisie" (upper class), to give a family ring to your son for his bride... When the ring is old-fashioned, it's perfectly correct to use the stones and make a new up-to-date ring with them.

The solitaire is still a favorite choice for engagement ring and a big stone is always a pride !

I think it's weird that the hands shaped in a heart picture are not very heart shaped. They just kind of look like claws. These look like candid pictures I could take.

My BIL and sister got engaged three times. She broke it off three times. He bought her a new ring for each engagement (nuts, I know.) When she eventually decided to marry him they had the three rings made into one fuckoff huge engagement ring and 2 wedding bands. They have been married 26 years after the rather strange start :lol:

I was told that it was a year's salary :shock: and was then told to get married to a rich man.

Wow. I don't think I would be willing to marry a dude who spent a YEAR'S salary on a damn ring no matter how wealthy he was.

Wow. I don't think I would be willing to marry a dude who spent a YEAR'S salary on a damn ring no matter how wealthy he was.

I don't think I would want to WEAR a ring that costs a year's salary... too much pressure not to lose it or wreck it!

Ok, guilty of having newborn pics taken of my little. None like D&P though. Ours were all about the baby, not the props. The photography here is just so amature...

Anyway, my 2 faves are

1) 3rd from the top on the left where Thing is holding the "It's a Boy" sign

2) The one about 1/2 way down on the right with the random toy doing massage, praying, about to commit homicide...or something over Paul's, well, ass. What a totally random picture. The symbolism completely escapes me. And the toy frightens me.

"All about the baby, not the props" sounds good to me!

I hadn't looked at the large version of the staring toy pic until I read your post. It is pointed so it appears completely mesmerized by Paul's butt.

And it appears to be rubbing its little fingerless hands together -- in glee? In preparation to do something? What will it do with that big toy plane? Has Paul paid it for its services out of the truck bank? What is happening here?! :shock: ;)

I showed the photos to hubby who said "they do know it's a baby, don't they?".

:lol:

It does make one wonder, doesn't it? I guess we should just be grateful that Tom didn't toss the baby in the prop basket at the end of the shoot.

[movie geek] Besides just thinking of the famous historical figure, every time I see the name of this photographer, my brain shrieks, in the voice of wonderful Judy Holliday, " Tom Paine! Not Sam Paine! Tom Paine practically started this whole country." [/movie geek]

I keep wanting to call the baby Pauler Waller.

I'm in a few photography groups, and I see a lot of newborn photography. Some of it is done really well, so then everyone tries to imitate the trend, with awkward and weird results like this. I'm not really a fan of any of it, I prefer the simple lifestyle shots to capture the beauty of a new baby and the love of the family. I think those are the pictures with lasting importance too....you have to wonder if the wee pecan will look back as a teenager and wonder why his parents had him photographed in a violin case or with a hurricane lamp.

I think those are the pictures with lasting importance too....you have to wonder if the wee pecan will look back as a teenager and wonder why his parents had him photographed in a violin case or with a hurricane lamp.

If he's questioning anything at that point it'll probably be a good sign.

If he's questioning anything at that point it'll probably be a good sign.

Indeed. And what will he think of the almost closed suitcase one? :?

I don't think I would want to WEAR a ring that costs a year's salary... too much pressure not to lose it or wreck it!

You and me both, Gertie.

Indeed. And what will he think of the almost closed suitcase one? :?

Or the one of his soon-to-be playmate Saltina or Santana, or whatever her name is. That child actually slept in a suitcase. I'd be afraid great aunt Edna would close the cover when she came in to clean the room.

post-957-14451997504767_thumb.jpg

This was Sauntina's sleeping space during our visit. It was just perfect. :)

Just perfect as a ...coffin? It doesn't help that the baby's surrounded with electrical wire and the suitcase's well... black! I'm sorry my mind just went there. But I would never think of putting a child in an easy to shut suitcase! Why don't you try the old pull out cabinet bassinet? It makes much more sense than this.

Well that picture shows plenty of accidents waiting to happen. Not just the suitcase and the electrical wire, but isn't that a pillow propped up on the suitcase cover? Even if that fell over......

Sure hope when Davy and Pris travel with lil' pecan that they don't get any ideas of that as a traveling bed.

Well that picture shows plenty of accidents waiting to happen. Not just the suitcase and the electrical wire, but isn't that a pillow propped up on the suitcase cover? Even if that fell over......

I think the baby is lying on half of the pillow and the other half of the pillow extends up along the suitcase cover. VERY unsafe. Common sense totally lacking.

ETA: Is "Sauntina" really supposed to be Sonatina, and not just some kree-ate-eev originality? (shakes head - poor kid)

Just because it's bothering me...not that it makes any difference because I agree its probably not the best idea, but you all do realize that isn't a suitcase the baby is laying in, but a violin case. Just saying...

It's almost like the props are the subject and the baby is the prop.

"Please welcome our precious God-Given Blessing, Globe Waller!"

Just perfect as a ...coffin? It doesn't help that the baby's surrounded with electrical wire and the suitcase's well... black! I'm sorry my mind just went there. But I would never think of putting a child in an easy to shut suitcase! Why don't you try the old pull out cabinet bassinet? It makes much more sense than this.

And what are those electrical cords serving on top of the dresser and how easy would it be for someone to knock over a lamp or electronic device onto the baby's head?

I suppose it makes sense that these fundies lack very basic common sense. If they had any, they wouldn't be fundies.

Just last night Himself showed me a picture of a returning soldier weeping as he held his baby for the first time. I was trying to find it, came across dozens of similar photos. Including an adorable one of daddy's combat boots with the little baby shoes between them. I would much rather look those.

Just because it's bothering me...not that it makes any difference because I agree its probably not the best idea, but you all do realize that isn't a suitcase the baby is laying in, but a violin case. Just saying...

You're right, and it does make a difference.

I thought the first pic was a lightweight, all-vinyl suitcase. But I looked at it in full size, and it is the violin case used in the other pictures.

That means that the lid is hard, and considerably heavier than a floppy soft suitcase lid would be (trust me, I've handled many, many violins and their cases).

Grand. :roll:

I hope someone was holding the weight of the lid off of the baby, in a way we can't see in the picture.

Archived