IGNORED

Nouthetic Counseling Blog For Women

Want More Babies

I know we have discussed nouthetic counseling in the past, but there is a blog I have been following for awhile now that is very nouthetic in nature and for women. No wonder fundie women are so messed up. bc4women.blogspot.com/ I can't imagine being depressed and hearing this nonsense spewed at me.

Bullshit. I don't buy anything said about psychotherapy when it comes from a "ministry" unless it says "get your rear to a real trained and certified psychologist" Which said link above most certainly does not. Even "Christian" psych isn't "Christian" enough for those nutcases. I looked through the rest of their site. Real psychologists my ass.

To talk about spiritual issues, I go to my priest. For anything else, I have an outside counselor I've seen a time or two. Few things scare me more than nouthetic "counseling."

http://www.psychoheresy-aware.org/nanc72.html

Psych Heresy, eh? I like it -- the above is a criticism of Nouthetic counseling and it's not snark-quality, it's the real deal, psychologists commenting on other psychologists. Worth a read, which I'm planning to do right now!

Thanks for the source! I've never heard of Nouthetic counseling, and I try to stay up-to-date on the latest quackery.

Nice takedown on your website, Burris! This quote from Jay Adams got my attention:

Your conscience will smite you and you will not be able to sleep. Your body will waste away through your groaning all day long. Day and night God’s hand will be heavy upon you and your vitality will drain away as with the fever heat of summer.

Interesting. He's putting a curse on people who would copy his materials. It's no different from a curse or a hex placed by a practitioner of magic--except it's totes not magic because he's a Christian. Also, he seems to have overlooked the rule generally recognized by practitioners of magic, which says that whatever you wish on others will come back to you.

I notice Adams calls himself "Reformed," which means he's a Calvinist. IMHO, Calvinism, with its doctrine that a psychotic God can send you to Hell no matter what you do, is one of the most neurosis-inducing religions ever. EWTN-style Catholics use a similar type of "counseling," and it is also utter crap. A counselor is supposed to be on your side, without an axe of his own to grind. These guys have nothing but an axe to grind, and they will destroy their "clients" if necessary to prove themselves correct. Run away.

From Burris' site, quoting Adams' site:

May I copy any of the lectures so I can refer to them later?

No. The lectures are copyright material and are being loaned to you to study. You will keep the notes that are included with each course for future reference. This is the same, of course, if you attended Dr. Adams’ (or anyone else’s) lectures in person. Much expense in both time and money have gone into this project and we must be able to recover those costs the same way a book publisher must copyright material in order to cover his expenses and pay his employees. The only difference with recorded material is that it is easier to duplicate electronically. It is just as wrong.

From MJB's head: Pfft! That Stevus Maxwell never had an original thought in his life!

Second horrified though from MJB: Do you suppose Stevus treated Teri's sinful depression with nouthetic counseling? :shock:

I know we have discussed nouthetic counseling in the past, but there is a blog I have been following for awhile now that is very nouthetic in nature and for women. No wonder fundie women are so messed up. bc4women.blogspot.com/ I can't imagine being depressed and hearing this nonsense spewed at me.

I had never heard of this, but Dr. Google and I found a lot of stuff.

formerfundy.blogspot.com/2010/06/biblical-or-nouthetic-counseling.html

gives some horror stories, including having a raped teen write a letter to the wife of the rapist apologizing for breaking her trust........ AND I learned that Gothard was big in the 70s, when I was much more involved in relgion, as a teen. I escaped ever hearing of him, and happily enough, I was in a comparatively liberal church.

Second horrified though from MJB: Do you suppose Stevus treated Teri's sinful depression with nouthetic counseling? :shock:

Unfortunately...(from Teri's "Depression" article);

"When Steve had run out of ideas for how to help me on his own, he found a pastor's wife who agreed to counsel with me. Janice and I only met in person one time for an afternoon. She started by making sure that I knew I was saved (see Note 4 at the end of the Corner). With that assurance, she then gave me a couple of tangible projects to put my focus on the Lord rather than on myself. I called her a few times on the phone - at Steve's insistence - but the path she set me on was exactly what I needed even though we didn't have multiple “counseling†sessions."

Archived