IGNORED

Can you recommend your favorite music?

OnceModestTwiceShy

My music collection is starting to bore me to tears. Can you recommend some groups/albums/etc. for me to check out?

I have pretty eclectic tastes; I generally don't enjoy hip-hop, r&b, punk rock, or new country (though I like Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, and some stuff like that).

My top ten, in no particular order, are: The Black Keys, Madrugada, Amy Winehouse, Bob Dylan, Fiona Apple, The Grateful Dead, Marina and the Diamonds, Old Crow Medicine Show, Rumspringa, and The National.

Thank you in advance for your recs!

Hmmm....I've been listening to a ton of ska, and punk lately....We listen to Black Keys here...how about the Yardbirds? Cream? You could make a Pandora station with all those artists in it and see what comes up! I love alt country so the Flatlanders, Jimmy Dale Gilmore, The Blasters, The Knitters...

Randomly picking three fave albums that come up frequently on my Pandora stations: Doves "Kingdom of Rust," Elbow's "Seldom Seen Kid, and Massive Attack's "Heligoland."

Harder edge: Anything by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (except "The Effects of 333" because...just no) and Arctic Monkeys (who opened last year for Black Keys)

Spacey stuff: Spiritualized and/or Spaceman 3

Celtic/World: Loreena McKennett, Capercaillie (sp?)

Desert Island Artist: World Party

My taste is all over the map (although I tend mostly towards somewhat obscure rock). No fan of rap, hip-hop or country either. I'll give almost anything a try at least once though.

Railroad Earth, moe., Further (though I'm sure you've heard them if you like the Dead), ALO, and Phish!!!! I'm also a fan of Ravi and Anoushka Shankar when I want something different, and Krishna Das when I want something weird.

Psychobilly speaks to my twisted, creepy soul.There are some delightfully messed up, but if you're not really into punk then you might not like it. If you like old skool country you might like Nick 13's solo album. He's the lead singer of my favorite band Tiger Army. I've also really been into a Swedish band called Fatboy. I adore Bret Detar, and his album is free to download on his web site.

I'm stuck in the 1990's, musically speaking. I adore groups like Reel Big Fish, Goldfinger, Sublime, Better Than Ezra, Cake, Seven Mary Three, Alice in Chains, and Soundgarden. There's also some lesser well known artists like Kay Hanley (and Letters to Cleo), Ani DiFranco, Babes in Toyland and PJ Harvey who are also awesome.

Keen23, sounds like we're from the same era. We like a lot of the same shit.

I'm also big on the indie and punk. From those genres I'd recommend Rasputina (a lot of distorted cellos and fun/creepy subject matter), the Shins, Arcade Fire, Belle & Sebastian, Stiff Little Fingers, Flogging Molly, Social Distortion, Bad Religion, and the Pogues. Let me know what you think! I love sharing musical tastes.

Archived