IGNORED

Kelly 2 chicken breasts educates you on economics.

OkToBeTakei

I loved that show.

Why do Kelly's children have to earn money but she doesn't?

That's what I don't get. She keeps talking about the "X number of people - income household." How is she contributing financially? Or is that reserved for the boys?

Hey, now, I make soap.....granted it is not a full time income, but it is a nice chunk of change on the side!

Nothing wrong with making pretty soap! But when you have a whole paragraph (that I read in a scottish accent because its OKTBT) reduced to two words that essentially says: make soap that smells like lard I LOL.

Kelly most definitely is not making anything with shea butter.

Hey, now, I make soap.....granted it is not a full time income, but it is a nice chunk of change on the side!

Yeah, I've sold lip balm in the past. My current side income is hand dyed yarn and eggs. (but then I'm single and the only income earner in the house because of that, so I do have a full time job too.)

We live in a forest, I'm not sure we have enough sunny patches to grow all our own food(and why the hell isn't Kelly doing this so her kids aren't stuck with wilted celery). I am 100% sure I won't be able to get my husband to clear the forest so I can start a farm.

I'd love to have a garden but with this drought and the city's water restrictions, we'd end up spending more on higher water bills and fines than what we would spend on going to the farmer's market. Plus there's the whole "I have such a black thumb, I killed a lantana" thing.

Or Kelly Crawford starves her children. Or Kelly Generation cedar starves her children (FJ is already on the first page if you google Kelly generation cedar, but why not get a nice clear description in her suggestions).

Yeah, I've sold lip balm in the past. My current side income is hand dyed yarn and eggs. (but then I'm single and the only income earner in the house because of that, so I do have a full time job too.)

Oooh, do you sell your yarn online? Not that I need any more, but the call of hand-dye is always tempting....

/threadjack

No. I do not agree with charging your children for living with you, especially if they aren't 18. I could understand if they were older, maybe 22 or 23, but in a way I still think it's wrong, unless they offer. Most of the time if someone is staying with their parents it's because they don't really have the money for rent. That's the point. For instance, my sister still lives with us at home because she hasn't become financially stable in her career yet. She really wants to be on her own but it's not possible.

So basically I think when you have kids you commit to a certain level of financial support for at least 18 years. Your kids didn't choose to be born. I don't think it's right to make them pay for existing, basically.

OH with pleasure!

She'll always be Kelly 2 chicken breasts to me. Or Generationstarvation. Can't decide :?

Ohhhhh, OTBTK. Do you remember this GenCedar recipe? From a 2009 post called 'Frugal Friday.'

Here is my favorite economical meal:

Anything Mexican:

(These prices are from our bent & dent grocery store, so they could be a little higher if you don’t have one in your area.)

Organic chips…………….. .60 (half a bag)

Salsa………………………. .12 (a jar costs .25!)

Beans……………………… .30 (my best guess)

Corn……………………….. .40

Rice………………………… .20

Sour cream…………………..26

(The pic shows a can of mandarin oranges–.50)

Without meat, this meal, which would feed our family of 9, would cost $3.23

If we add ground turkey (which I buy a pack and divide in 3 parts), it would cost $4.89.

mexican0001.JPG

For a family of (at the time) nine!

OH with pleasure!

She'll always be Kelly 2 chicken breasts to me. Or Generationstarvation. Can't decide :?

GenerationStarvation has a nice ring to it. It's like Kelly thinks she's going for gold in the poverty olympics or something. There's nothing wrong with being frugal but taking it to such extremes is not good.

In light of that , fundy eager beaver Jill Duggar's statement that she's oh so gratful for her parents not charging the adult kids or kicking them out once they reach 18 like other parents do, gets a whole new taste to it.

Living the Duggar way suddenly seems like God's grande blessing... :-S

Your mom did a good thing for you. And I'm sure your mother, you know, had enough food in the house, not to mention that you were going to university. My parents also made me save half of my earnings for when I moved out. What your mom and my parents did not do is make us feel like a burden. Huge difference from what Chicken Tit Kelly is doing to her children.

I guess I don't understand the need for the secrecy. When I started working, my mother would take my checks, cash them, give me a portion, and put the other half in a savings account. I knew what she was doing - what's the big deal?

I also have to confess that despite growing up poor, being a very hard worker, getting a job very young, my mom doing the above, etc...I am utter SHIT with money. Sometimes you can't fight stupid. :lol:

Ohhhhh, OTBTK. Do you remember this GenCedar recipe? From a 2009 post called 'Frugal Friday.'

Here is my favorite economical meal:

Anything Mexican:

(These prices are from our bent & dent grocery store, so they could be a little higher if you don’t have one in your area.)

Organic chips…………….. .60 (half a bag)

Salsa………………………. .12 (a jar costs .25!)

Beans……………………… .30 (my best guess)

Corn……………………….. .40

Rice………………………… .20

Sour cream…………………..26

(The pic shows a can of mandarin oranges–.50)

Without meat, this meal, which would feed our family of 9, would cost $3.23

If we add ground turkey (which I buy a pack and divide in 3 parts), it would cost $4.89.

mexican0001.JPG

For a family of (at the time) nine!

She SO did not grow that shit on her godly bloody farm!

I guess I don't understand the need for the secrecy. When I started working, my mother would take my checks, cash them, give me a portion, and put the other half in a savings account. I knew what she was doing - what's the big deal?

I also have to confess that despite growing up poor, being a very hard worker, getting a job very young, my mom doing the above, etc...I am utter SHIT with money. Sometimes you can't fight stupid.

I suppose to make a point. She could easily have done what your Mother did but I would not have learned anything. Dunno. I suppose I should really ask her.

I suppose to make a point. She could easily have done what your Mother did but I would not have learned anything. Dunno. I suppose I should really ask her.

I like the secrecy. Mommy and daddy making you save your money seems like a kid thing. However, making you pay rent/upkeep/whatever they call it makes it more like a regular bill that needs to be paid, just like an adult. The latter just seems to be a better educational lesson as applied to real life finances than the former.

No. I do not agree with charging your children for living with you, especially if they aren't 18. I could understand if they were older, maybe 22 or 23, but in a way I still think it's wrong, unless they offer. Most of the time if someone is staying with their parents it's because they don't really have the money for rent. That's the point. For instance, my sister still lives with us at home because she hasn't become financially stable in her career yet. She really wants to be on her own but it's not possible.

So basically I think when you have kids you commit to a certain level of financial support for at least 18 years. Your kids didn't choose to be born. I don't think it's right to make them pay for existing, basically.

I know people who have lived with their parents after having a job because it was easier, not because they couldn't afford to live on their own. Under 18, though, I agree with you.

I like the secrecy. Mommy and daddy making you save your money seems like a kid thing. However, making you pay rent/upkeep/whatever they call it makes it more like a regular bill that needs to be paid, just like an adult. The latter just seems to be a better educational lesson as applied to real life finances than the former.

Sometimes it just changes the appreciation.

I know someone who was given a blank check that covered the full amount of his college loans at the end of his 4 years.

He and I BOTH know that, had he been told it was a 'free ride' on day 1, he'd have behaved like a dolt for at least 1 of the 4 years--this way he had the actual independence...but without the crushing debt afterwards.

It was awesome and I told my parents they could do it for me anytime :lol:

Man, I can't even begin to describe how much her attitude would have terrified me as a child. I tended to be a neurotic kid, and so whenever I caught my parents discussing money I would have a breakdown imagining us living on the streets or running out of food. I can't imagine being a kid and having my parents ask me to pay for my own food. I would have been dumbstruck and confused, considering my babysitting money wouldn't have really been enough to cover all my needs. Jesus. I understand if you have your adult kids living in your house, sure- ask 'em to pay their own way if you want. But don't do that to your BABIES you fucking asshole.

I'm remembering a series of old (OLD) Doonesbury comic strips, in which the dad has just learned how much it costs to raise a child from birth to adulthood, feels majorly resentful about it, and decides to start taking it out of the kid's hide. It was a week's worth of strips, and many of the details escape me, but I've never forgotten the end-of-week punch line, this jist of which was "OK. I've decided your kindergarten and grade school expenses are on the house."

Archived