IGNORED

Nathan Lawrenson's Twitter

GeoBQn

I didn't say he relentlessly asked for funds but he most certainly let everyone know that if they wanted to contribute there was a way to do so and he would facilitate that. Absolutely. And he has talked about those who help "support" them indicating this is financial support they receive. I have no doubt in my mind that anyone who asked him where to donate was told exactly where to do so, including people who are not friends and family but people who have seen their story on TV, through his blog and through Twitter. One does not necessarily have to beg to pull on the heartstrings and get people to open their purses. IMO Nate is has been very good at advertising things just enough that they have donations made by strangers. Since it's all private he will never have to disclose how much or from whom money comes from. I'm sure there's been plenty of help from those who were touched by the lord and all that.

Do you regularly look at the bank statements that show where money is coming from? I'm guessing not.

I'm sorry, but what is your point?

One does not have to do anything to make CF seem terrible. One does not have to embellish stories to "pull on people's heartstrings". This is making me sick to my stomach. I pray to God that you never have to deal with the hell that is CF.

Second, it was Tricia's father started the trust fund to help pay for his daughter's medical bills. Even the most basic medications and treatments for CF cost thousands of dollars of month, even at one's healthiest, even with health insurance. Now add on a double-lung transplant which could total in more than $1,000,000 in medical costs. What if your child was dying a slow, painful death, and the only way for him or her to live longer than a year was to raise money for medical treatment? Would you do anything you could??

Why does it bother you that people have asked how they could help, and that Tricia's family gave them the opportunity to help??

Third, a medical trust has some very specific rules about what the money can and cannot be used for. Do your research. If you haven't donated, you have no business asking how the money is used. If you don't like how it all looks, don't donate. It's that simple. There is no crime being committed here.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't say he relentlessly asked for funds but he most certainly let everyone know that if they wanted to contribute there was a way to do so and he would facilitate that. Absolutely. And he has talked about those who help "support" them indicating this is financial support they receive. I have no doubt in my mind that anyone who asked him where to donate was told exactly where to do so, including people who are not friends and family but people who have seen their story on TV, through his blog and through Twitter. One does not necessarily have to beg to pull on the heartstrings and get people to open their purses. IMO Nate is has been very good at advertising things just enough that they have donations made by strangers. Since it's all private he will never have to disclose how much or from whom money comes from. I'm sure there's been plenty of help from those who were touched by the lord and all that.

Do you regularly look at the bank statements that show where money is coming from? I'm guessing not.

This could go round and round all day. Why does it matter who gives to a private medical trustfund? If someone wants to, great. If not, great.

However, it was always made clear it is a legal medical trust.

It is administered by an accountant and 4 managers who adhere to the law, under the direction of a lawyer. I wouldn't have any kind of access to the bank statements because I'm neither their accountant, their lawyer or a fund manager. Nor are Nate and Tricia serving in any of those roles.

Every dime is accounted for and is only permitted to go to medical bills, drugs, and costs associated with her care, as dictated by law and the trust the managers established.

I assure no one is living fat on the donations nor is anyone profiting or benefiting. When one partner works for a church and the other can't work, even with great insurance, the costs of a terminal illness is expensive. I do know that trustfund has helped to put a dent in the costs and Duke strongly urges potential transplant families to be prepared for about 25K of out of pocket expenses. Despite some speculation earlier in this thread, I assure you my parents are typical middle-working-class, certainly not "of means". Heh.

Beyond that, people are free to give or not give to any cause they chose. People are also free to inquire if they want to understand what needs might be or what it is spent on. If someone thinks they are shady or the trust fund is an unethical idea.. um..ok, save charity money for a better cause. But they aren't unique and generally people have to have an idea they exist in order to be part of giving, if one chooses.

I didn't say I had a problem with people donating. Just saying that you are wrong that he hasn't made it obvious he will take money from strangers. He has used his internet "fame" if you will to collect money. Is it ethical or not? Well that's not really my problem since I'm not the one telling my story, letting people know there's a place to donate and then complaining when people want to know more.

It's really nice you choose to fight Nate's battles for him. Not sure why you are making it personal. Nate is a total douche canoe and you've said he can fight his own battles yet here you are doing it. I really think your problem is with him and the fact that he's created an audience but it's easier to be frustrated at us.

This could go round and round all day. Why does it matter who gives to a private medical trustfund? If someone wants to, great. If not, great.

However, it was always made clear it is a legal medical trust.

It is administered by an accountant and 4 managers who adhere to the law, under the direction of a lawyer. I wouldn't have any kind of access to the bank statements because I'm neither their accountant, their lawyer or a fund manager. Nor are Nate and Tricia serving in any of those roles.

Every dime is accounted for and is only permitted to go to medical bills, drugs, and costs associated with her care, as dictated by law and the trust the managers established.

I assure no one is living fat on the donations nor is anyone profiting or benefiting. When one partner works for a church and the other can't work, even with great insurance, the costs of a terminal illness is expensive. I do know that trustfund has helped to put a dent in the costs and Duke strongly urges potential transplant families to be prepared for about 25K of out of pocket expenses. Despite some speculation earlier in this thread, I assure you my parents are typical middle-working-class, certainly not "of means". Heh.

Beyond that, people are free to give or not give to any cause they chose. People are also free to inquire if they want to understand what needs might be or what it is spent on. If someone thinks they are shady or the trust fund is an unethical idea.. um..ok, save charity money for a better cause. But they aren't unique and generally people have to have an idea they exist in order to be part of giving, if one chooses.

I don't understand why it matters either for the record and I have clearly been a bitcher about a lot of other things.

I work for a health care charity and one of the things that is important to us is the impact that the cost has on these families. I am glad the trust fund exists personally. (Given that I can complain about anything depending on the day of the week there is a chance I moaned about it on here...although I suspect what I moaned about is more that Nate doesn't seem to understand that the community and family support he has lots of people don't have but anyhow...i might have complained in the past) I don't think anyone should be bankrupted to get healthcare.

I've never gotten the sense that Nate appreciates the incredible support system they have. Support is wonderful and its what close communities do, but there is no way he is working remotely enough to support a family, and he should be on his knees every day publicly thanking the people who work harder so he can be with Tricia. Most of us would not have a job after many years of exceeding our FMLA allotment.

Instead, he pontificates about subjects he knows nothing about outside of the fundie perspective.

I've never gotten the sense that Nate appreciates the incredible support system they have. Support is wonderful and its what close communities do, but there is no way he is working remotely enough to support a family, and he should be on his knees every day publicly thanking the people who work harder so he can be with Tricia. Most of us would not have a job after many years of exceeding our FMLA allotment.

Instead, he pontificates about subjects he knows nothing about outside of the fundie perspective.

I'm thinking the same thing too. I'm glad Nate and Tricia have received the support they have received, but their situation is atypical like another FJer has said. I think it is safe to say and not wild speculation, that working for daddy's church has allowed Nate to be very flexible with his job. Telecommuting, working from home, or other locations happens quite a bit these days, but there are restrictions in those kinds of jobs. I think Nate seems to have more flexibility than many people do in their jobs. Like you said, many of us would exceeded FMLA allotment or in other cases would have to answer to bosses or managers. Nate is only really answering to his dad.

I'm thinking the same thing too. I'm glad Nate and Tricia have received the support they have received, but their situation is atypical like another FJer has said. I think it is safe to say and not wild speculation, that working for daddy's church has allowed Nate to be very flexible with his job. Telecommuting, working from home, or other locations happens quite a bit these days, but there are restrictions in those kinds of jobs. I think Nate seems to have more flexibility than many people do in their jobs. Like you said, many of us would exceeded FMLA allotment or in other cases would have to answer to bosses or managers. Nate is only really answering to his dad.

Again, fwiw, it isn't "nate's dad's" church. It is run by a plurality of leadership and neither nate or his dad's brother are on that board of leadership. They are employees that report to the leadership, the majority of whom are not related to Nathan. Anything that has been approved by the church leadership was approved also by the congregation. Nate's dad doesn't "own" or "run" the church. Historically, it was part of a larger-nationally recognized organization and his dad is the only one "in the family" that is part of the leadership team. (I'm not sure if they still directly identify with the origninal denomination, they generally broken away to a more "community church" idea.)

The leadership team is made up of 5 men, iirc. Rick, as the head pastor, is ONE member of the 5. Nate and Andy (the youth pastor/rick's brother) are not on that team. All 5 must agree on any major decisions related to the church and major issues are voted on by the membership, like most organized churches. When Rick retires, the church will remain and a new head pastor will be hired. It is a large church, for that area. It is also the church where Nate grew up, so it isn't a huge leap that he'd be hired to do worship there.

When my own church's head pastor lost a young child very suddenly, our church voted unanimously to allow him 12 months of paid sabbatical without having to do any kind of "church work". He and his family left the area for that time. My own church also has a large staff comprised of younger men who grew up in the church and are related to other staff members. It isn't really scandalous or nepotism as much as the church body tends to favor people they've known for a long time or those who've been part of initially building the church.

It is definitely a unique support system that a majority of people wouldn't have, but it isn't a nepotism thing, it is more a "ministry" thing. Beyond that, I suppose members of the church would have to decide it if it was something he appreciated or not. I know many of them and generally he and Tricia are loved and appreciated and supported with open arms, in every way.

This is definitely not a duggar "home" type church if that is what people are picturing when they suggest he only reports to his dad. That is just not accurate.

Thank you tinylegs, for clarifying on the church situation. But I do think Nate has been aided quite a bit by nepotism.

Nates family is listed as 3 of the 6 staff members at his church. To say there is no nepotism is to be in serious denial of how churches are run. Favors are granted because he's the pastors kid. It is how it goes. Unless their church is different than any other church that has multiple family members on staff, which is doubtful.

It is very common to refer to churches as belonging to the head pastor, like Joel Osteen's church or Billy Graham's church, etc.... people often refer to the person associated instead of the actual name of the church. Was anyone under the impression this is a home church situation? It's extremely easy to google and where they are and who does what.

I would like to say a few things.

I am Nate. I’ve been observing this thread for a few weeks now. I made a few comments previously to gauge reaction.

I’m not going to respond to anything that has been discussed on this forum about me or my family. In fact once I’ve seen that this post has been published I won’t be spending any more time here on this forum. Because honestly you wouldn’t really listen a word I said anyway since you already believe I’m a lying douche out for money and fame.

I’m very sorry that my SIL came across this cesspool of negativity but I appreciate what she has said in defense of my wife and the positive attitude she has maintained toward those who have challenged her.

I don’t feel any need to prove to you that I am Nate except that I don’t want anybody to believe that LibbyLiv is me. If I ever find out who she/he is I will be sure they never have another opportunity to “defend†me again. I’m sure the Mods could verify that the email address I used to create my account is the same email address my wife and I have been using together for the past ten years. But I know they can’t publish that kind of personal information.

CL, I’m sorry for the loss of your son and for what LibbyLiv has done against you here. I know exactly who you are because Tricia remembers you from the CF chatrooms and because we share mutual friends on Facebook.

I would ask the Mods to please ban LibbyLiv from this forum. She has shared quite a bit of private information about me and my family and I know that is against your policies since I am a member of this forum.

Mom23Girls, I also know exactly who you are. I haven’t deleted you yet from my Facebook yet and if you ever want to talk with me instead of sharing what I privately post on my Facebook I’ll be more than happy to listen. Mods, I hope you’ll act accordingly based on this information.

I will be posting the message below to my Instagram/Twitter (which is not private BTW) in about an hour. You’re the first to read it and hopefully it will be proof enough that I am Nate and that anybody else here who you think is me is certainly not.

post-7224-14451997818771_thumb.jpg

Nates family is listed as 3 of the 6 staff members at his church. To say there is no nepotism is to be in serious denial of how churches are run. Favors are granted because he's the pastors kid. It is how it goes. Unless their church is different than any other church that has multiple family members on staff, which is doubtful.

It is very common to refer to churches as belonging to the head pastor, like Joel Osteen's church or Billy Graham's church, etc.... people often refer to the person associated instead of the actual name of the church. Was anyone under the impression this is a home church situation? It's extremely easy to google and where they are and who does what.

I agree with you, favors are granted to Nate because he is the pastor's son. It doesn't matter if Nate has to answer to the leadership team/board. He has some pull because of his dad. I think tinylegs meant in her post than some communities, this stuff isn't viewed as scandalous. I still say that nepotism is still happening at that church and maybe many of the members are ok with it.

Assuming Libbyliv is Nate, why the hell does he care what we have to say, when he doesn't care what he says to anyone else? He has managed to insult almost everyone out there. He's a grown man, and never acts like one.

He's a poor, pathetic excuse for a Christian. I myself an Christian, but I don't make it a point to insult everyone's beliefs. Nor do I have a smug attitude.

I think if Libby is Nate, he was probably pissed that people were discussing him on a forum that he has no control over. He was probably used to the spats on twitter and he was able to block people.

New member here! I have known some people who are really close to the Lawrenson family, and I get details about them from those people. I am not friends with Nathan or Tricia on FB, and I do not follow them on Twitter, but I have read the blog in the past. I heard today that Tricia was put back on the list at Duke. What bothers me more than any other thing you guys have mentioned is that he number 1 bashed the doctor or doctors who recommended she get an abortion. They were doing their job! I applaud them for telling her what was best for her health. SHE was their patient, not the baby in her belly. The second thing that really gets me is that Nathan has bashed Duke, the very place that took Tricia and gave her new lungs, treated her lymphoma, saved her baby, got her in shape for a second transplant, and so on. Not many other centers would have touched her. My friend who knows her had a transplant at Cleveland and said they would never have taken Tricia in the shape she was in and definitely wouldn't give her a second. Anyway I'm glad she is back on the list (if what my friend is telling me is true). I just hope that Nathan can show a little humility and realize who is saving her. The very center he has put down way too many times.

Very few centers do transplants at the level of Duke. As matter of fact, none do. There is a reason they are the #1 transplant center and a reason my parents chose to live within close proximity when they left our original home. It is rare a center can handle a vent-transplant and very few do seconds, which is why the majority of second-transplant patients are at Duke.

I'm glad there's good news! If you don't mind me asking, tinylegs, what happens now? Is she listed for a certain amount of time?

I'm glad there's good news! If you don't mind me asking, tinylegs, what happens now? Is she listed for a certain amount of time?

As long as she remains healthy enough she waits until lungs are available within a few hours of Duke at all times. She'll continue PT as normal.

If she has setbacks or slips off the standards she'll be deactivated.

What's the average wait time at Duke?

I don't know off hand, but among the fastest in the country. Thankfully she is an easier match this time around.

Apparently, it's only 12 days. And I would think Trish would be at the top of the list.

I don't care at all for Nate's often hateful tweets, but I wish Tricia all the best and hope that she can get another transplant. Gwyneth is a beautiful little girl and I pray for her health and happiness.

Archived