IGNORED

Nathan Lawrenson's Twitter

GeoBQn

Plus she is married to an asshat, and if she likes him I judge her for that.

Really? Precisely what is she supposed to do...pack up her terminally ill self and get an apartment & a job at Ihop?

This thread has gotten particularly obnoxious with people patting themselves all over the back for hating on a sick woman. Is Nate a jerk? Sure. How many women are married to jerks? (and vice versa) Lots. Maybe he was nicer when they were first married...who knows? Considering half the people on this blog wet themselves over a stupid flight movie being potentially "triggering" yadda yadda and are full of self- congratulations for all their sensitivity towards unknown speshul snowflakes getting their feelings hurt over a damn film, there's precious little compassion for a woman facing her final weeks or months with her family, however you might feel about them.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I don't judge her for being with Nate. I think that he's a nice person IRL, but comes off as hateful online because of his Twitter account.

I have a friend that is really nice IRL, but on Facebook, she's a little whiny and only talks about the designer stuff she's got, where she's traveling, and what shes bought with her daddy's American Express black card.

Oh, and keep in mind, what Nate advocates for would have impacted me and my family and our choices. Since he speculates about people like me, I am totally cool speculating about his wife based on information he shares.

I also agree with this. Nate speculated often on others. His anti-choice tweets became too much. I also think that Nate rarely thinks about the some of the situations which lead women to choose abortion. I doubt he spends time wondering about the trauma of rape victims who become pregnant from their rapists. I also doubt that he has spent time thinking about other reasons why couples in difficult medical situations choose abortion. In some cases, finances and a lack of other resources, are part of the reason why people terminate pregnancies. Nate probably fails to see that other couples don't have the resources he and Tricia have. This might be wild speculation on my part, but it seems obvious to me that Nate's parents and in-laws help him and Tricia out quite a bit. I'm not begrudging that and I give both sets of parents credit for stepping up to constantly helping. Some people don't have those kinds of resources or resources like a medical trust fund.

treemom said:Plus she is married to an asshat, and if she likes him I judge her for that.

now heck bound says

Really? Precisely what is she supposed to do...pack up her terminally ill self and get an apartment & a job at Ihop?

This thread has gotten particularly obnoxious with people patting themselves all over the back for hating on a sick woman. Is Nate a jerk? Sure. How many women are married to jerks? (and vice versa) Lots. Maybe he was nicer when they were first married...who knows? Considering half the people on this blog wet themselves over a stupid flight movie being potentially "triggering" yadda yadda and are full of self- congratulations for all their sensitivity towards unknown speshul snowflakes getting their feelings hurt over a damn film, there's precious little compassion for a woman facing her final weeks or months with her family, however you might feel about them.

Actually I said if she LIKES him I judge her for THAT

Those things are not mutually exclusive with having compassion for her situation.

editing becuase Heckbounds method of quoting effed up my quote.

Yeah, I don't judge her for being with Nate. I think that he's a nice person IRL, but comes off as hateful online because of his Twitter account.

I have a friend that is really nice IRL, but on Facebook, she's a little whiny and only talks about the designer stuff she's got, where she's traveling, and what shes bought with her daddy's American Express black card.

I judge her for liking him and allowing him to famewhore their story. Maybe he is a nice person, but if she agrees with him she is no different, terminally ill or not.

If she thinks she is SO MUCH BETTER than women who chose abortion she is no different terminally ill or not.

If she holds those same or similar political beliefs she is no different, terminally ill or not.

I am a nice person too. But I understand why people would judge me based on my participation here. Tricia's sister was complaining about speculation and saying "But that is Nate causing that, leave my sister alone" and it is a little ridiculous considering Nate is her husband. She has a problem with the speculation? Well tell Nate to shut the fuck up about his disgusting, abhorrent beliefs. We wouldn't have stuff to snark on then and probably wouldn't speculate on how he is a hypocrite (because really...isnt that what the speculation really came down to?)

I think Nate and some of the bloggers that are discussed on FJ might be nicer IRL. But I do wonder how Nate is whiny in IRL. He tweeted something about how doctor asked why they were in for an appointment. He also posted something about having problems with his insurance company and he filed some kind of complaint about them. Maybe his complaint was justified. Then there were his whine tweets about Duke and the staff.

My guesses are that in IRL, Nate is nice and ok to have certain conversations with, but if the topic of conservations drifts to abortion or gay rights he becomes nasty. He is entitled to his opinions, but some of them aren't strong. During the SCOTUS hearings on DOMA and Prop 8, he tweeted something about how his job and churches would face difficulties if gay marriage became legal. I really doubt gay couples would seek out to be married in his dad's church. Gay couples who do weddings or commitment ceremonies are sometimes very cautious about where they get married and the people they involve. Nate's dad Rick has publicized his views on gay marriage and they live in a small town where people know that he is against gay marriage. I don't see gay couples ever lining up to be married at Nags Head Church if gay marriage becomes legal in North Carolina. I posted that pic from FB about how marriage predates Christianity. I think Nate and his dad ignore that fact and have the attitude that Christianity should define marriage in America.

I think Nate and some of the bloggers that are discussed on FJ might be nicer IRL. But I do wonder how Nate is whiny in IRL. He tweeted something about how doctor asked why they were in for an appointment. He also posted something about having problems with his insurance company and he filed some kind of complaint about them. Maybe his complaint was justified. Then there were his whine tweets about Duke and the staff.

My guesses are that in IRL, Nate is nice and ok to have certain conversations with, but if the topic of conservations drifts to abortion or gay rights he becomes nasty. He is entitled to his opinions, but some of them aren't strong. During the SCOTUS hearings on DOMA and Prop 8, he tweeted something about how his job and churches would face difficulties if gay marriage became legal. I really doubt gay couples would seek out to be married in his dad's church. Gay couples who do weddings or commitment ceremonies are sometimes very cautious about where they get married and the people they involve. Nate's dad Rick has publicized his views on gay marriage and they live in a small town where people know that he is against gay marriage. I don't see gay couples ever lining up to be married at Nags Head Church if gay marriage becomes legal in North Carolina. I posted that pic from FB about how marriage predates Christianity. I think Nate and his dad ignore that fact and have the attitude that Christianity should define marriage in America.

I believe he also said he had never talked to anyone who had an abortion who did not regret it. Which made me think, you haven't talked to enough people who felt comfortable being honest with you about their abortion.

I realize I glom on to that for a personal reason. But apparently he can speculate all day long about me and people like me. But when we speculate about his wife based on information he puts out there we are being cruel to her family. (seriously why doesn't tinylegs make him responsible for some of this)

Believe it or not, but Nate is actually very quiet in real life. Very. Right or wrong, I think the internet is a big outlet for him.

And, as a moderately liberal libertarian who is also an evangelical Christian, I can tell you in 15 or however many years I've known Nate we've never once had an unkind or nasty exchange about politics. Ever. We have very differing views on just about everything outside of the foundation of our faith in God and our relationships with Christ, but have managed to never once even have a heated discussion about any of the issues that define him on twitter. Like a PP suggested, I think it is easy to let the internet remove social filters. For some this is good. For others it is bad. For most it is a little of both.

(seriously why doesn't tinylegs make him responsible for some of this)

I have said, several times, he puts out there what he does and can fight his own battles. Of course. I will also stand by my bafflement that there are 100s of posts obsessing about them.

I guess, for me, it comes down to, if people are so disgusted by him, if you can't believe him, if you find what he says is so wretched.. why not just unfollow and walk away?

I used to read Mckmama for a long time.

Then she started getting crazy.

Then there were weird questions about her ethics and the fitness/health stuff and the criminal stuff.

And I walked away. Because it wasn't something I wanted to be a part of, and as cute as her kids are I found it revolting. So I stopped reading her blog. I never followed her on social media outlets. I don't talk about her with my friends. I stopped reading MWOP.

And then she wasn't relevant in my life anymore.

The End.

If people hate him so, if he is so repugnant, why continue to constantly talk about him? Why read what he writes?

If Tricia lives or dies, it will matter little to most people here. If she gets lungs or doesn't, your lives won't change much.

So why continue to discuss for months? I just don't understand the appeal.

Believe it or not, but Nate is actually very quiet in real life. Very. Right or wrong, I think the internet is a big outlet for him.

And, as a moderately liberal libertarian who is also an evangelical Christian, I can tell you in 15 or however many years I've known Nate we've never once had an unkind or nasty exchange about politics. Ever. We have very differing views on just about everything outside of the foundation of our faith in God and our relationships with Christ, but have managed to never once even have a heated discussion about any of the issues that define him on twitter. Like a PP suggested, I think it is easy to let the internet remove social filters. For some this is good. For others it is bad. For most it is a little of both.

Again people can be two things at the same time. So he might be like that, but he has had lots of unkind and nasty exchanges with other actual human beings. And I am sure if I took him up on some of his abortion posts the same would be said of me.

He can both be nice and suck at the same time. We all manage to do that at different points in our life. But my sister isn't married to him, I don't have a reason to love or defend him. All I have is his repugnant ideas about me and people like me.

Again people can be two things at the same time. So he might be like that, but he has had lots of unkind and nasty exchanges with other actual human beings. And I am sure if I took him up on some of his abortion posts the same would be said of me.

He can both be nice and suck at the same time. We all manage to do that at different points in our life. But my sister isn't married to him, I don't have a reason to love or defend him. All I have is his repugnant ideas about me and people like me.

To be clear, I'm not arguing with you on any of these points. I understand your point of view and get it.

I have said, several times, he puts out there what he does and can fight his own battles. Of course. I will also stand by my bafflement that there are 100s of posts obsessing about them.

I guess, for me, it comes down to, if people are so disgusted by him, if you can't believe him, if you find what he says is so wretched.. why not just unfollow and walk away?

I used to read Mckmama for a long time.

Then she started getting crazy.

Then there were weird questions about her ethics and the fitness/health stuff and the criminal stuff.

And I walked away. Because it wasn't something I wanted to be a part of, and as cute as her kids are I found it revolting. So I stopped reading her blog. I never followed her on social media outlets. I don't talk about her with my friends. I stopped reading MWOP.

And then she wasn't relevant in my life anymore.

The End.

If people hate him so, if he is so repugnant, why continue to constantly talk about him? Why read what he writes?

If Tricia lives or dies, it will matter little to most people here. If she gets lungs or doesn't, your lives won't change much.

So why continue to discuss for months? I just don't understand the appeal.

Well, first I went to Liberty as i said so we have lots of mutual friends. I see some of the stories simply by existing. Furthermore, what I was advocating is holding him responsible for why the speculation is happening.

I don't follow him on twitter. I check in every once in a while and catch up. I actually have a real job that is fullfilling, a husband, a 12 year old and lots of things in life. I don't read most of FJ these days, but I check in on things I participated in.

And he has a voice now and he is using that voice to attempt to remove the rights of other people. That is why I won't ignore him.

I think it's unfair to say that we'll get on with our lives if Trish dies. Sure, we don't know her personally, but how do you know we won't be sad? When Eva died, I was sad. Watching her doc. made me become an organ donor. The internet has a way of bringing people together.

If/when Trish dies, I'll be very sad for the family.

I believe he also said he had never talked to anyone who had an abortion who did not regret it. Which made me think, you haven't talked to enough people who felt comfortable being honest with you about their abortion.

I realize I glom on to that for a personal reason. But apparently he can speculate all day long about me and people like me. But when we speculate about his wife based on information he puts out there we are being cruel to her family. (seriously why doesn't tinylegs make him responsible for some of this)

I remember when he said that on twitter. I think the people he talked to were members of the same Christian circles that he is apart of. I doubt he has ever gone to a pro-choice conference and talked to women from different backgrounds and situations who terminated pregnancies. I bet he knows women who have had abortions, but those women have kept quiet and never reveal it to many people. Like I said before, I doubt that he spends time thinking about rape victims who terminated pregnancies that resulted from rape or people who abort because their situations are very difficult and they lack certain resources. I think Nate simply doesn't think about or even care about the situations of other people involving abortion. He just wants no one to have the option of abortion. Treemom, I understand why you glom on it for a personal reason because of what you went through. I also wonder why tinylegs isn't making Nate responsible for putting out information about Tricia.

Tinylegs,

I understand your feelings and emotional reaction to this and want to correct people about a situation with your sister. I also appreciate you did it while not revealing anything more sensitive.

But Nate obsesses about gay people and abortions he has never had. So I guess I don't see the difference? Yeah FJ is a little weird, but not really. It is no different than lots of sights dedicated to exploring human behavior and making judgements or commentary on it. We don't in general comment on those who don't actively put themselves out there as some sort "thing" to emulate. And Tricia and Nate very much did.

I wish nothing ill upon either of them, but I also don't really like the "OMG stop obsessing and get on with your life" handslapping. This thread got busy when you and libbyliv joined the fray. Other than that there was posts mostly commenting on his asshat like behavior on twitter and some speculation about Tricia and a WHOLE BUNCH of goodwill directed and Tricia and Gwyneth. So yeah...

I think it's unfair to say that we'll get on with our lives if Trish dies. Sure, we don't know her personally, but how do you know we won't be sad? When Eva died, I was sad. Watching her doc. made me become an organ donor. The internet has a way of bringing people together.

If/when Trish dies, I'll be very sad for the family.

I think many of us here will be sad. I get sad at times thinking about Gwyneth growing up without a mother.

I am not Nate. My name is Liv, and I'll be happy to give you my last name if the mods will allow it. You're welcome to search for me all over the internet and see what you can discover about my personal life and post it here as well. I know I cannot prove that to you, but I can tell you that all of the information I have about anybody here (other than Nate) was taken from public places like Facebook and a cystic fibrosis website that CL and her husband and I were a part of several years ago. CL must have forgotten how much information was shared about her on that website, and how she and her husband have photos of themselves and their kids on PUBLIC display on their Facebook. Take a quick look at what she has posted about her personal life on this site, and it was pretty easy to figure out who she is. I haven't posted anything about CL here that couldn't be very easily discovered by anybody else within a few minutes. I hate to see that my participation here has been twisted against Nate. I take full responsibility for posting what I posted, and although I'm sorry that it was hurtful, I personally don't see how it was any different than anything else you all have posted about on this entire website.

I'm hoping the mods will post this for me.

I think many of us here will be sad. I get sad at times thinking about Gwyneth growing up without a mother.

I think what she meant is that none of us will feel the depth of the grief they will. We will all go to work or get on about our day with maybe a sad thought or some tears. But it won't matter like it matters to those close to her.

I respect that. I don't want any of them to lose Tricia or Tricia to lose her life. No matter what...no one deserves that.

God. No one is obsessing over them. Nate has done tons to promote himself and his story all over the internet for YEARS!! He documented Gwyneth's birth and updated her condition with a lot of detail. He pushed their story on the blog with his whole "If you are new read here first" stuff over and over so that everyone would be clear on their beginnings.

Then he suddenly shut down his blog. Now he's even more suddenly shut down his twitter. Of course people are wondering what the heck is going on. BECAUSE HE CREATED AN AUDIENCE!!!

Geesh. Stop with the poor us, why are you obsessed, you have all our details wrong shit. Talk to Nate about it if you don't like it, he created the monster. Oh, I know, we are only suppose to care when you guys tell us too and we are suppose to be thankful for the crumbs of information that are tossed when they are tossed, right? Oh, and send money.

Yeah.

1 Question Sheeple eater:

when were you or the "collective you", on a blog or twitter, invited to send money to anything other than CF Great Strides or March Of Dimes, nationally recognized charities?

Because the trustfund invitation has only been extended to friends and family via more private outlets.

The TF question was raised and addressed publicly because it was asked about, but no one used a blog to relentlessly promote or beg for money for anything related to private trustfunds or profit.

I remember reading about the trust fund on the blog about the same time as the transplant.

It was addressed because people specifically asked about the origin of it.

It was never connected to the blog.

There were never posts asking to give to the trust fund.

There were never links on his blog to it.

There were never posts on his blog about bills or money needs asking for funds.

It was in place long before the blog or the "fame".

eta:

This is rabbit trailing for me and become quite a distraction.

I thank the collective board for good thoughts for my sister and for those who want updates, I trust you'll find them when they're posted and relevant.

I gotta say I don't remember Nate ever asking for money that would go to the trust or their family. (I wouldn't have begrudged him FTR) All I ever remember is that Tricia's dad set it up when she was young to help cover these costs.

The money bit rarely bugs me. Personally I think there should not be a cost to healthcare like this.

I didn't say he relentlessly asked for funds but he most certainly let everyone know that if they wanted to contribute there was a way to do so and he would facilitate that. Absolutely. And he has talked about those who help "support" them indicating this is financial support they receive. I have no doubt in my mind that anyone who asked him where to donate was told exactly where to do so, including people who are not friends and family but people who have seen their story on TV, through his blog and through Twitter. One does not necessarily have to beg to pull on the heartstrings and get people to open their purses. IMO Nate is has been very good at advertising things just enough that they have donations made by strangers. Since it's all private he will never have to disclose how much or from whom money comes from. I'm sure there's been plenty of help from those who were touched by the lord and all that.

Do you regularly look at the bank statements that show where money is coming from? I'm guessing not.

Archived