IGNORED

THIS is why fundies scare me

Koala

But, but, _lillith, that is ebil government intervention into what YOUR children are eating. If you were really godfearing,you'd make up a tatertot casserole and give them 1/100th of a portion for lunch. Government mandated healthy food is a sin. Not to mention, giving your kids food they might enjoy? Feed them gruel and tell them they will like it!

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But, but, _lillith, that is ebil government intervention into what YOUR children are eating. If you were really godfearing,you'd make up a tatertot casserole and give them 1/100th of a portion for lunch. Government mandated healthy food is a sin. Not to mention, giving your kids food they might enjoy? Feed them gruel and tell them they will like it!

I know, how dare they care about the health of all kids, including those that eat badly at home!

I have actually made Tator Tot Casserole, to the Duggar's recipe. Partner and one kid LOVED it. Other kids and I literally couldn't swallow more than a few mouthfuls - it was so intensely salty.

Was it sort of like beige goo? This seems to be a popular consistency for fundie food. Between the pickle obsession and the ttc and all of the rest of it, I'm amazed the duggars don't have serious health problems from all of the sodium.

Growing up, there were a few recipes my parents made that had cream of crap soup, but not that many. We always had at least two vegetables at dinner and fruit, cheese and other healthy snacks were always available between meals. Shockingly, I'm now a healthy way and love to cook and eat food. I sometimes wonder if the weird rules about food in fundie families contributes to the loathsome recipes they cook. I mean, I can't really imagine Kelly's strange attitudes towards foods fostering healthy attitudes and a love of cooking in her children.

Was it sort of like beige goo? This seems to be a popular consistency for fundie food. Between the pickle obsession and the ttc and all of the rest of it, I'm amazed the duggars don't have serious health problems from all of the sodium.

That pickle obsession grosses me the fuck out.

:scared-yipes:

Maybe, because of how these fundie mom-blogger glorify being a full time mom, cooking super home cooked meals and being as thrifty as possible, they find it hard to accept that normal people are doing the same thing, all the time, and ALSO working? Like, they seem to seriously overestimate the time it takes to clean a home and cook a meal, possibly because they're so in love with the idea of slaving away at it day after day so they can gloat about how awesome they are (when in reality, they are not really any more or less awesome then any other mother out there).

Totes this ^^. I work full time, I have a husband that works out in the patch 3 weeks out of every month and I have a kid with severe celiac disease. That means everything he puts in his mouth has to be homemade, including the gluten free bread. Yes, women who stay at home are great, and I admire them for doing it, but it doesn't mean that every working mother is shoving junk food down their children's gullets every moment of every day.

If Kelly lived in my house, I'd like like to know how she would have reacted this morning. My daughter (very politely I must say) announced at breakfast that she no longer likes cereal and preferred a hot breakfast.

My response was to assume that she is going through a phase or a growth spurt. I made her and my son boiled eggs, biscuits, and hashbrowns (traditional southern breakfast food). They will have a healthy lunch and dinner, but she really wanted a hearty breakfast and I wasn't about to deprive her of it when it was totally in my power to provide it.

Here's what I hate. We ALL have preferences. We all have days when we are really craving a particular thing. I know it can't always be accommodated, but I wonder if Kelly ever thinks of what her children would like? I wonder if they ever feel full or if they go to bed sometimes feeling hungry. I wonder if she feels the urge that most mothers feel. You know, the one that makes your child's comfort and well being your top priority. The one that makes a mom take a great deal of pride in providing her children with clean clothes, warm beds, and full tummies. If her actions are any gauge, I don't think she does. How does she block that out?

How exactly would she know if her kids weren't getting enough food?

Does anyone have a link to the post where she talks about locking up food? Again, locking up food is NOT NORMAL.

I mean, if you lock up food, and if you make it clear to the kids that they will eat exactly what is served, no more and no less, and if they know that defiance = spanking, how are they supposed to indicate that it's not enough?

Also, is it possible that a child may be hungry, but just not feel like wolfing down beige blender chicken? Is the rest of her cooking that dreadful?

How exactly would she know if her kids weren't getting enough food?

Does anyone have a link to the post where she talks about locking up food? Again, locking up food is NOT NORMAL.

I mean, if you lock up food, and if you make it clear to the kids that they will eat exactly what is served, no more and no less, and if they know that defiance = spanking, how are they supposed to indicate that it's not enough?

Also, is it possible that a child may be hungry, but just not feel like wolfing down beige blender chicken? Is the rest of her cooking that dreadful?

The locking up the food business absolutely horrifies me. If money is that tight then she needs to shut down the baby factory.

I wonder what her children do when they are going through growth spurts. Many a time I've had to get up in the middle of the night to make a pb&j sandwich and a glass of milk for a little on that (for a couple of weeks) seemed like a bottomless pit. And you know what? It never bothered me. I knew that my babies were full and healthy, and that's all I cared about. We had some nice talks sitting at the table in the middle of the night too.

Here you go: http://generationdinosaur.blogspot.com

I couldn't come up with anything clever in the title description. I wanted something that sounded similar to: "Renewing vision, embracing home and sowing seeds of the next generation".

Smelly the prophet is the blog author's name because a) Kelly has stated that she is a prophet b) Smelly because it rhymes with Kelly c) Smelly also refers to Kelly's holier than thou-attitude. Wherever she is, she must be better than other people. When her family didn't have a home, she mentioned that at least she isn't smelly like a homeless person.

She mentioned "the Swedes"-thing in her comments about character.

Edit to add. Don't expect too much. :oops: I have never written a parody-anything before.

I love that you quoted yourself to sum up your point. Such a Kelly-ism.

Pop Tarts? Ewwww. My kids have never had Pop Tarts in their lives. They aren't filling enough for breakfast and they aren't special enough for dessert.

I make my own pop tarts actually :oops:

And the irony! Most children eat pop tarts for breakfast, off to school to eat some kind of fake food for lunch, chips, candy bars and cokes for snacks, then on game days stop for a burger or hotdog for supper. If their moms works, they likely eat out several more times during the week and/or eat boxed, preservative-laden, unnutritious food most of the rest of the week. Add to that they sit under fluorescent lighting all day, without the proper amounts of Vitamin D or exercise. Mine is not the blog you need to be sharing health concerns for my children.

Oh, Kelly. Just in case you're reading here, my kid had two scrambled eggs, half a bagel with cream cheese, fresh, homemade yogurt with strawberries, and a cup of green tea for breakfast. His lunch will be a pb&j sandwich, carrots with ranch dip (he needs to gain weight, so I'm pouring on the calories) and probably a banana or more yogurt. Dinner will be a bowl of tomato basil soup, whole-grain crackers, apple slices and some yogurt/cream cheese dip I made. Snacks will be healthy things like cheese and fruit. My son actually hates boxed/preprepared foods, so I cook three meals a day for him. Game day? Swim meet day he will have fruit, yogurt, and hardboiled eggs at the pool, all the water he can drink, and then afterwards, we might go get a Happy Meal for his lunch, but usually not. He doesn't like candy or cookies very much, and he gets a glass of coke per day to help increase his concentration with the caffeine.

Judgemental much, Kelly? At least my refrigerator is full of fresh veggies, milk, cheese, eggs, and fruit for my family. Yours looks like a famine victim's.

I think that's really cool, actually.

I will occasionally buy myself chocolate pop tarts as a treat... they were definitely not the norm in my house growing up, though. Shoot, I was the only kid I knew who not only did not hate broccoli, but preferred it to candy.

We make our own Poptarts too! I always can too much jam over the summer and homemade poptarts is a great way to use it up. We do eat them for dessert though.

Holy crap, someone over there got back to me. I have an actual phone number now.

I'll update when things calm down around here and I actually get to call them,

I'll be that 'typical' American parent...

I bought pop-tarts (actually, I"m cheap, I bought 'toaster pastries'), last week. Some times, some weeks, my family eats crap. (and I actually have a tater-tot-casserole recipe I've made)

But you know what? my child never goes hungry.

My child's needs/desires with food are met.

And she's being raised by parents who ENJOY her--who wanted her, who chose to have her...and parents who are self-fulfilled enough (yes, I personally need work to be that person) to be able to provide more stability to her.

So kelly can suck it.

And my kid and I will have our instant oatmeal with chocolate chips for breakfast :)

I just went and looked at tater tot casserole. It's the trailer trash bastard child of cottage pie. But why open a tin of undiluted cream of muck soup when gravy would be so much tastier?

Don't get me wrong, i like a nice pickle every now and then but they take it TOO FAR!

I agree. I also think that they *know* of the vulgar things people say about the photos of the kids sucking on giant pickles. When *normal* people eat pickles - even kids - they don't suck on them and pose for a photo doings so. Playing with your food is just gross to me.

Now, I love pickles. They have to be Kosher Dill Gherkins. I sometimes eat a jar a week. But it must be because I'm rich and materialistic, buying myself an entire 16oz jar of pickles a week, and don't have to wait until CHRISTMAS to get my "own jar" and "favorite flavor." If they like pickles so dang much and can't afford to have them all the time, why not pickle the cucumbers themselves? They can make any flavor they want. It's actually not that difficult to grow cucumbers. My mom did when we lived in a very crowded city in the northeast and we had a very small garden behind the garage - she also grew corn, strawberries, herbs, tomatoes and peppers.

I agree. I also think that they *know* of the vulgar things people say about the photos of the kids sucking on giant pickles. When *normal* people eat pickles - even kids - they don't suck on them and pose for a photo doings so. Playing with your food is just gross to me.

Now, I love pickles. They have to be Kosher Dill Gherkins. I sometimes eat a jar a week. But it must be because I'm rich and materialistic, buying myself an entire 16oz jar of pickles a week, and don't have to wait until CHRISTMAS to get my "own jar" and "favorite flavor." If they like pickles so dang much and can't afford to have them all the time, why not pickle the cucumbers themselves? They can make any flavor they want. It's actually not that difficult to grow cucumbers. My mom did when we lived in a very crowded city in the northeast and we had a very small garden behind the garage - she also grew corn, strawberries, herbs, tomatoes and peppers.

Exactly! The pickle recipe in the Blue Ball canning book makes good pickles! It is my "mom's" recipe ;)

I used to have a boss who would bring in Pop Tarts for food day treats. I hadn't had them in years, but everybody in my department ate a couple here and there It was kind of a nostalgia thing, obviously. My Mom used to feed them to us occasionally too, but our diet as kidlets was certainly not all processed foods as Kelly might assume.

I used to have a boss who would bring in Pop Tarts for food day treats. I hadn't had them in years, but everybody in my department ate a couple here and there It was kind of a nostalgia thing, obviously. My Mom used to feed them to us occasionally too, but our diet as kidlets was certainly not all processed foods as Kelly might assume.

We never really got them as kids. Maybe 4-5 boxes total were bought throughout my entire childhood. However, when I went to college I may or may not have spent almost an entire month eating nothing but those frozen toaster pastries with the DIY frosting and hasbrowns. Both cooked in the toaster. The fascination was pretty short lived and I'm a pretty good healthy cook now so I don't think it did me much harm Except for the part where I'm an evil atheist sinner. :lol:

My son has been the child of working parents since the day he was born. We still manage to have healthy meals just about every night of the week. If I'm busy or rushed, it's a sandwich and some fruit for dinner. Otherwise, it's something in the crockpot, plus a veg or two, some salad and maybe a carb.

She's just ignorant and throwing around the same excuse all the "Better than those lousy WOHM" bloggers do, that we feed our kids crap and they're just bleary-eyed sheep, unlike their precious children who are fed wonderful wholesome blender chicken and taught how much better they are for believing in the Jesus.

Totes this ^^. I work full time, I have a husband that works out in the patch 3 weeks out of every month and I have a kid with severe celiac disease. That means everything he puts in his mouth has to be homemade, including the gluten free bread. Yes, women who stay at home are great, and I admire them for doing it, but it doesn't mean that every working mother is shoving junk food down their children's gullets every moment of every day.

Yep. This irritates me more than anything about these bloggers. I have worked full time my whole adult life, sometimes more than one job at a time. My husband also works more than full time and is often away from home. Guess what? I always make dinner from scratch. Every single day of the week. We go out to eat MAYBE once every couple of months. So Kelly can suck it.

• 2 months later...

I read this whole thread. And now I want to figure out how to make stock/soup. Even though MrBlue hates soup, it would be a good way to use up the rare leftovers.

I also now feel bad about telling my kids they wouldn't be hungry if they were sleeping when they've spent 4 hours upstairs goofing around quietly in bed instead of going to sleep and complain they're hungry. I sometimes let them have a piece of fruit or yogurt when they do this, but if it happens to be 2 in the morning, I usually tell them to just go back to bed and eat in the morning.

The only other time I tell them they can't eat when they claim hunger is when they have literally just finished eating something; they can wait a little bit, have a drink and check in if they're really still hungry and when supper is either already cooking or just about (unless it's going to take awhile). And I now feel guilty about those times, too.

I know my family eats a lot more than "normal" for supper, but the kids tend to be grazers during the day and MrBlue & I usually just have 2 meals a day and a snack. That "meal" wouldn't have even fed MrBlue, much less me and the 4 kids. Not unless there was A LOT of rice. I usually make 3cups of uncooked rice for a meal, and that's in addition to eg a couple of packages of stir fry meat and a big bag of veggies or 4-5 chicken (frozen= cheaper)breasts and a salad. And that's for 6 people. We also often have something for dessert to go with that. And my kids still complain about being hungry some nights.

We usually spend as much, or more, on food as we do on rent and my kids haven't even hit puberty yet (eldest is definitely close, though.). In my ideal universe, I'd like to get us down to $800/mth for food and essentials, but that's for SIX people, one of whom is barely a year old, not for 11 people.

Archived