IGNORED

Jane Roe airs catholic commercial against Roe V. Wade

BlackHawk

So watching TV this morning and saw this add. Apparently Norma McCorvey (Jan Roe from ROE v. Wade court case) has become a Catholic and has put out a commercial for the Diocese against the court case she was a part of. This aired originally in 2009/2010 and still airs regionally in a few places (here being one of them, which shocks me).

http://www.youtube.com/virtuemediaads?v ... xnb4I&lr=1

(I attempted to embed the youtube link, but apparently I have forgotten. I thought it was whatever happens after the v= but I'm thinking I'm wrong. Anyway, I have to run off and do stuff so instead of investigating the proper way further, I'm just putting the whole youtube address up :) )

Thoughts? Obviously this hasn't had a big effect nation wide, but do you think it will have any effect in the long run?

She has been an anti abortion advocate for years now. Her story is routinely trotted out by that crowd to make the point that all women regret their abortions. She's an odd duck, she had a lot of issues during Roe v Wade, I believe she had addiction issues, then she found Jesus. I think she is a rather fragile person who has been pulled in a lot of directions by people on all sides of the issue.

I don't think this will have much of an impact either way. If she hadn't been Jane Roe, someone else would have and we would still have abortion in this country.

For her sake, I hope she finds peace about her past. If she really does think that abortion is murder and that she is somehow personally responsible for it being legalized, she must be really fucked up inside.

I'm torn between pitying Norma McCorvey and reviling her. On one hand, she's an adult with a brain. On the other hand, she had a rough upbringing and made a lot of bad, life-impacting decisions at an early age. And I think many, many people (Flip Benham, for one) have used her to further their own causes. In addition to her anti-choice activities, she's also an "ex"-lesbian.

I'm torn between pitying Norma McCorvey and reviling her. On one hand, she's an adult with a brain. On the other hand, she had a rough upbringing and made a lot of bad, life-impacting decisions at an early age. And I think many, many people (Flip Benham, for one) have used her to further their own causes. In addition to her anti-choice activities, she's also an "ex"-lesbian.

Yep. It seems to me that she has never learned who she is and just follows whoever is leading. In that sense she is much like the fundie kids who have not learned a sense of self.

Archived