IGNORED

CT School shooting

snarkykitty

I think now is the perfect time to talk about gun control. Actually, *before* these precious babies were killed would have been better, but that is not an option. I don't think banning private gun ownership is even on the table, but we need to look at who has which guns and whether we are collectively safe under the current laws.

But abortion, homeschooling, and other political issues being brought up are just ridiculous.

We probably won't talk about gun control. We'll keep taking off our shoes at airports over an infinitesimal risk of bombs, but gun control? Never. Tell the truth, I'm astonished we got guns off of planes, but I doubt it'll stretch anywhere else anytime soon.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying so hard to make sense of this tragedy. I'm not terribly religious but I've been praying to God (as best i know how to) to give comfort to those families and to greet those little people with open arms. Desperately hoping there IS a heaven and they're there.

I think that the problem is that it is harder to get mental health help than it is to get guns.

This. As much as I think there are valid reasons for wanting stricter gun control laws, the shooter took them from someone who had legally and rightfully obtained the guns. I hate that the only political action that comes out of mass shootings in America is a gun control debate. When it is our mental health care system that needs revision.

My 5-year old is sitting beside me, playing with her wooden animals under the christmastree. My stomic hurts when I think about how scared this little babies must have been. I am so very very sorry.

In our country everyone can walk into the schools of our children, the front door is always open. When something like this happens, it scares the hell out of me. We didn't have school-shootings yet, and we have strict rules about guns. Things do happen over here, though. A few stabbing-incidents at schools, with 1 vicitim each time, a man driving a car into a crowd. People with an intention to kill will find a way, but guns make it way to easy to make a lot of victims.

I am scared by news like this, and I do realise something like that could happen over here. But I prefer to keep our doors at home unlocked, to be able to walk into the schools of our children to see how they are doing, to let them play outside with warnings but without fear. I don't want to be pussed into believing I need a gun to protect my family, because to me it would mean living in fear all the time and I couldn't do that. I wouldn't ant that for my children.

I hope this makes sense....

I've had idiots on m facebook saying 'guns don't kill people, people do'. How can they say that after this tragedy? What do they think a gun is designed for? How many people have to die before people wake up to the fact that gun laws must be toughened? Fuck the second amendment. You don't have a right to a lethal weapon, five-year-olds have a right to go to school without being shot.

I've tried to avoid this story because I'm a stupid arsehole with a bit of an interest in weaponry. Your President cried on thinking about it. I first thought "Bloody hell...wonder what he was carrying? It's a high ratio." I was thinking back to Dunblane, you're not doing that with a BB gun, put it that way.

It is an absolute tragedy though and thinking about the mums and dads who don't see their wean come home is horrible image, not to begin on the partners and loved ones who don't see their family members come back. As emmiedahl said, this is a time to talk about guns. I might not take her side of the argument, but let us reason together.

I have many connections to this. My best friend's husband went to elementary school there and lived two houses down from the school. My best friend and I spent many a teenage night making out in cars in that parking lot. My heart is so destroyed by this horrible evil tragedy. Our close friend owned Yoganonda (sp) street and the property before it was developed. We also spent many a summer teenage night hanging out with friends in the fields surrounding this area watching the sun set and enjoying life. My daughter is 18 but I still hugged her and cried when I saw her last night. We know many people who still live in Newtown and one family whose children go there currently. Her 4 children are safe.

This is so unimaginable and devastating.

What I want to say is that though I personally do not have a gun and don't believe they are right for me to ever own, I feel there does need to be a change. I don't know the answer to this. I also think that treating people with mental health issues needs to be addressed on a bigger platform. Remove the stigma behind it and make it more affordable to treat. Everyone has some issues, some more than others but how many people do not seek treatment because they are afraid of peoples prejudices? How many can't afford it? Of course all of this is easy suggested than actually done. These are just my opinions and I really wanted a place to state them. I don't post much but I do read here every day and I value everyone's different opinions. I am sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes.

I've tried to avoid this story because I'm a stupid arsehole with a bit of an interest in weaponry. Your President cried on thinking about it. I first thought "Bloody hell...wonder what he was carrying? It's a high ratio." I was thinking back to Dunblane, you're not doing that with a BB gun, put it that way.

It is an absolute tragedy though and thinking about the mums and dads who don't see their wean come home is horrible image, not to begin on the partners and loved ones who don't see their family members come back. As emmiedahl said, this is a time to talk about guns. I might not take her side of the argument, but let us reason together.

I think for me the issue was not the guns themselves, from what I have read they consisted of two basic handguns and a hunting rifle, but the fact that he had extended clips that allowed him to continue firing, and the fact that they were allowed in a house with a young man who from many reports had dignosed developmental delays and a personality disorder. I think we as a society could start with who gets access to weapons, and the type of ammo, and start to put a dent in the violence that way.

I'm not surprised that a fundie would make a statement like that. It also makes me angry.

That's Uncalled for to compare abortion & what happened yesterday. Although I to am not Suprised that a Fundie say what they said.

This. As much as I think there are valid reasons for wanting stricter gun control laws, the shooter took them from someone who had legally and rightfully obtained the guns. I hate that the only political action that comes out of mass shootings in America is a gun control debate. When it is our mental health care system that needs revision.

Double this. Some people think it is wayyy more important they have their constitutional right to bear arms unimpeded than have 20 kindergarten aged children alive today.

Ive been seeing on my Facebook that "if only thr teachers were allowed to have guns.". You have to be fucking kidding me...have teachers armed to thr teeth? People who think that have seen way too many movies and assume that anyone who has a gun will automatically go into Navy Seal mode when confronted with trouble. Like having even more bullets flying will help the situation?

I think for me the issue was not the guns themselves, from what I have read they consisted of two basic handguns and a hunting rifle, but the fact that he had extended clips that allowed him to continue firing, and the fact that they were allowed in a house with a young man who from many reports had dignosed developmental delays and a personality disorder. I think we as a society could start with who gets access to weapons, and the type of ammo, and start to put a dent in the violence that way.

The rifle is one I've shot myself. The extended clip would be hellishly dodgy because it's a temperamental mechanism. I have never tried that and wouldn't (!)

Extended clips cause your gun to jam unless you're a skilled weapons type (I ain't) AFAIK. What is the need to put that on a gun? You should not be allowed to do such things.

I'm in favour of gun ownership which makes me a bit weird on the Left. But I am not in favour of modifications or any kind of bad thing. A gun is a thing you have to approach with great care.

While I do very much agree that this country needs to begin aggressively working to provide better mental health care to its citizens, I find this article interesting. http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/07 ... s-say?lite.

And regardless of the state of mind of the people who commit these kinds of crimes, I do think gun laws need to change. I couldn't think about anything else yesterday, and I could barely sleep last night. It's why I got up at 6 am on Saturday. I'm sure I wasn't alone in that. It's so very sickening and heartbreaking, and I can only keep thinking about what those poor children and teachers went through and their terror, and now the horrible pain everyone involved will live with forever. I have little hope that this will break the knee-jerk reaction of those gung ho for their (imo antiquated) 2nd amendment rights, but maybe it will for some. And I hope the rest of the country will manage to outnumber them, influence their representatives in the government, and get it changed.

I do hope those hurting families find some comfort, however they can. This will never make any kind of sense, no matter what 'answers' come.

I don't get it, I keep seeing this argument of "We need to talk about gun control" vs "NO, we need to talk about mental health care!!"

...why can't we talk about both?

I don't get it, I keep seeing this argument of "We need to talk about gun control" vs "NO, we need to talk about mental health care!!"

...why can't we talk about both?

QFT.

An hour ago Shirley Phelps Roper tweeted that WBC would picket Sandy Hook school to 'sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing justice.'

An hour ago Shirley Phelps Roper tweeted that WBC would picket Sandy Hook school to 'sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing justice.'

Maybe this is the time they'll finally go too far for the surrounding people and be torn to shreds? Not literally - but I do hope they get their comeuppance.

Double this. Some people think it is wayyy more important they have their constitutional right to bear arms unimpeded than have 20 kindergarten aged children alive today.

Ive been seeing on my Facebook that "if only thr teachers were allowed to have guns.". You have to be fucking kidding me...have teachers armed to thr teeth? People who think that have seen way too many movies and assume that anyone who has a gun will automatically go into Navy Seal mode when confronted with trouble. Like having even more bullets flying will help the situation?

Yes my boyfriend actually told me that at dinner last night! I'm about a year out from graduating and becoming a teacher and would not want to have to have a gun in my classroom...for one thing I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO! I would also never send my child into a classroom knowing there was a gun in there regardless of whose it was to use.

I really think ALL children and teens should be screened for mental illness.

I am praying for everyone affected by this shooting. My heart breaks for those parents who were not reunited with their children.

I am a classroom teacher and there is no way I would/could have a gun in my classroom. First of all, I don't know how to handle a gun, and second, the kids get into everything. Having a weapon accessible to thirty 10 year olds sounds like a recipe for a horror story. Are people actually saying that we should be armed? What is wrong with them?

Yes my boyfriend actually told me that at dinner last night! I'm about a year out from graduating and becoming a teacher and would not want to have to have a gun in my classroom...for one thing I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO! I would also never send my child into a classroom knowing there was a gun in there regardless of whose it was to use.

Exactly. And even if that teacher had a gun, it would have to be secured away from the kids. The chances of the teacher being able to get the gun out in enough time to defend him/herself when the shooter entered the classroom are miniscule, even if s/he had been standing *right next* to where the gun was stored. It would not have changed anything so people need to stop worrying about the defense and focus on offense. Remove the opportunity for threat, you remove the need to protect from the threat.

Teachers with guns? What a bad idea. How many teachers could pull out a gun and shoot someone in front of a class of 5 year olds? Also to get to it in an emergency, it must have to be available, and the most likely outcome of that would be a child thinking it is a toy and playing with it, then accidentally shooting someone.

Also shooting the right person amongst chaos is very hard, and theyre more likely to shoot an innocent person who is running away from the person with the gun.

My teacher husband wants no part of guns. We don't like them, we don't touch them, we recognize that they are for one purpose: killing. Those are our personal sensibilities, not saying that everyone has to feel that way. And I have been assaulted at gunpoint, and I still don't want anything to do with guns.

But the idea that this tragedy would have been prevented if teachers were forced to be armed is ridiculous. Do these people want to mandate that teachers are also police officers, with all of the same training? Because armed people with less than pretty sophisticated firearms training are dangerous people, not because they are bad, but because they are not prepared. The average gun class that teaches basic gun safety and how to operate a gun would be woefully inadequate to prepare an educator to make the sorts of tactical decisions that would need to be made in the event of school intrusion. Anything that went wrong would be immediately blamed on the teachers, as they are our favorite whipping posts in this country already.

The answer to gun violence is NOT more guns.

I believe that some of these people get their ideas about guns from the movies and TV. They honestly believe that life is like a television show where the good guys pull out a gun, make the perfect shot and save the day. Their view of life is dangerously uncomplicated by reality.

Archived