IGNORED

CT School shooting

snarkykitty

The initial stages after a tragedy like this are so confusing. The latest report I heard is that the brother was taken into custody. I wish the media would, you know, CONFIRM things before they report them.

ABC is reporting that the shooter's mother was the kindergarten teacher.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously you're not an American.

No, we don't all have guns. Stop spreading that shit.

She is a troll. This thread is not the place for trolling, though.

Anyway, I really just wish we could set the clock back in time and have this not be what happened.

This whole thing is just sickening and tragic.

And it starts. From Vision Forum's FB page:

Vision Forum

16 minutes ago

From Doug: "May the God of all mercies care for the poor broken parents who lost their children today. Death and murder are because of men's sin against the God of LIFE who has warned us that it is better that we place a millstone around our necks then that we harm one of these little one. And yet God who is just and good and merciful reminds us also that even the wickedness of those who have turned from the living God will be used for good for those who are called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28) As a parent I beg God for mercy for the poor suffering survivors who lost a gift (children) which is second only to our eternal souls. And I beg the Lord to draw many to Him unto eternal salvation as they consider the brevity of our life and the urgency that we flee to the only source of hope and life--Jesus Christ the Messiah."

Commenters are asking if there are any "good churches" in the area where they can "minister" to the families of victims.

ABC is reporting that the shooter's mother was the kindergarten teacher.

A LOT of things were reported before being confirmed, but I'm pretty sure that yes, the teacher was the shooter's mother. And most, if not all of the children, were her kindergarten class.

We have really, really tough gun laws in Australia & still have a massacre every 10 years or so. If you consider that our population is 22million its probably about the same average as the USA.

Psychopaths who want guns, will get guns.

We don't have to make it so fucking easy for them though.

Now there's all sorts of talk about how, with the advent of 3-D printing, you'll be able to download plans and print your very own gun right in the comfort of your living room. Of course, gun rights advocates are already squawking about how any controls would abridge their rights. Just wait til Junior gets pissed off at Mom and Dad for something minor, goes into his room, prints up a Glock and blows the 'rents away. It's terrifying, actually.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/futur ... es-6213570

The only way to get a pistol licence here is through a sport shooting club. IMO if somebody is planning something & thats the only way they can get the weapon they 'need', they will get it that way.

The police have confirmed that Adam Lanza is the suspect .Ryan is in custody, but FOX is saying he's not a suspect. Their father and brother were found dead and Adam's girlfriend and her friend are missing.

I was so overwhelmed by it that I couldn't feel anything - it was almost a "here we go again" reaction before the horror really kicked in and now I don't want to face the Internet at all. Tragedy of this magnitude is almost impossible to process. Cannot even imagine. Those poor kids, those poor parents, everyone in this situation had to suffer so needlessly. Most of us have special kids in our lives even if we don't have children, and that just drives it home so much more. Thinking of all those torn families tonight. God, I just want to scream.

So tragic. Those poor babies and their families. That town will never be the same or the school. A missing class, for all the years ahead. So, so wrong. :cry:

We have really, really tough gun laws in Australia & still have a massacre every 10 years or so. If you consider that our population is 22million its probably about the same average as the USA.

You have way lower rates of gun violence than the US, though. Tough gun laws might not stop really determined murderers-to-be, but they certainly seem to prevent your average run-of-the-mill murders.

The only way to get a pistol licence here is through a sport shooting club. IMO if somebody is planning something & thats the only way they can get the weapon they 'need', they will get it that way.

The thing is, most murders aren't planned in advance.

We don't have to make it so fucking easy for them though.

Now there's all sorts of talk about how, with the advent of 3-D printing, you'll be able to download plans and print your very own gun right in the comfort of your living room. Of course, gun rights advocates are already squawking about how any controls would abridge their rights. Just wait til Junior gets pissed off at Mom and Dad for something minor, goes into his room, prints up a Glock and blows the 'rents away. It's terrifying, actually.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/futur ... es-6213570

I agree. Australia has a gun homicide rate of 0.14 per 100,000 people, the USA has a gun homicide rate of 2.97 per 100,000 people. Not really comparable.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog ... world-list

All the fundies spewing about God can fuck off. I don't want to worship a fucking God that allows something like this to happen to kindergarteners. Don't give me that bullshit about man's fallen nature. If this God cared one whit about his fucking precious creation, he would NOT allow 20 5-year-olds to walk into school one day and never walk back out. No amount of spin can justify this, ever.

The news has hit here in Australia on Saturday morning. As a former teacher I can't imagine how that school community will recover, they will of course, but life will never be the same for anyone associated with the school. And those poor babies. It's bad enough when it's high school kids but little kids .....

Miffy is right, we still have gun violence here in Australia but our very tough gun laws prevent some of the crackpots getting their hands on guns. I hope the gun laws do toughen up for the US, Mr Obama sounded incredibly shaken, maybe he will bring the change.

All the fundies spewing about God can fuck off. I don't want to worship a fucking God that allows something like this to happen to kindergarteners. Don't give me that bullshit about man's fallen nature. If this God cared one whit about his fucking precious creation, he would NOT allow 20 5-year-olds to walk into school one day and never walk back out. No amount of spin can justify this, ever.

This.

God Bless America? Whatever. We need to take care of our babies, even if it means a few people have a harder time getting their assault rifle.

We had a school shooting in the UK in 1996. Tougher gun laws were introduced almost instantly and we have never had a school shooting since.

I can't stand it when people say 'guns don't kill people, people kill people'. A gun is designed to kill someone, for fuck's sake, and makes it horribly easy to kill several at once. Tougher access to weapons stops hundreds of tragedies like these.

Yes Thomas Hamilton had his handguns via a shooting club. In Scotland that was the only way to own a gun. After Dunblane and the Cullen report, they made sure that also would not happen again.

Yes somebody determined enough, somebody cold blooded enough to plan such an atrocity maybe/could circumvent every measure in place to prevent it. Even here an outright ban on handguns took some doing. But it beggars belief (for me) that you can buy just about any gun legally in the USA and other countries.

I can't imagine what the parents of those kids are going through right now. I woke up to the news this morning and I just can't believe it. And for all of the people saying "its not the right time to talk about gun control..." - Fuck you, when is the right time? The right time was yesterday, before this happened, or Monday, before the shooting in Portland happened, or the day before the Aurora shootings, etc, etc. Maybe this will finally be the thing that shakes this country of its love of guns.

My thoughts are with all of the victims, families and just everyone today.

We had a school shooting in the UK in 1996. Tougher gun laws were introduced almost instantly and we have never had a school shooting since.

I can't stand it when people say 'guns don't kill people, people kill people'. A gun is designed to kill someone, for fuck's sake, and makes it horribly easy to kill several at once. Tougher access to weapons stops hundreds of tragedies like these.

QFT. Today in China, 22 children and 1 adult were wounded during a stabbing incident. Wounded, but not killed. Because it's a lot harder to kill one person with a knife than it is to kill several with a gun.

Did he gain access to the school because he was a known face?

None of the things I've read have addressed that yet. But, speaking from experience, at my son's school, you can walk in the front door and then walk down any hall you want. You're supposed to go to the office first, but it would be easy to veer off and go somewhere else and bypass the office altogether.

I can't imagine what the parents of those kids are going through right now. I woke up to the news this morning and I just can't believe it. And for all of the people saying "its not the right time to talk about gun control..." - Fuck you, when is the right time? The right time was yesterday, before this happened, or Monday, before the shooting in Portland happened, or the day before the Aurora shootings, etc, etc. Maybe this will finally be the thing that shakes this country of its love of guns.

My thoughts are with all of the victims, families and just everyone today.

No, it won't. Conservatives are never going to give up clutching onto the second amendment. Never. It's not like this hasn't happened before. Children have been shot in elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, movie theaters before. All that happens is that people cling to their beliefs even more. This isn't going to change anything.

Archived