IGNORED

Soldier tackles Westboro Baptist Church member crowd cheer

doggie

I was really surprised that was what ultimately caused the attack. I accept desecrating a flag as an appropriate act of rebellion, disagreement, contempt, whatever, but I can also see how it'd be more of a hot-button issue for a soldier, on top of the other things that WBC is known to do. Before I read the article I thought one of the members had actually said or done something in regards to the soldier who died, in which case the reaction would make more sense to me.

Totally agree. If someone had been insensitive towards her directly I could see it much more than "someone was horrible about Old Glory".

I know Americans feel differently about their flag than we do. I actually do not like the Union flag in the slightest and I'm not even fond of the Saltire (Scottish flag, for anyone who doesn't know). I was at the Scottish Independence rally and I found the Saltires everywhere as creepy as heck. I accept one flag, the workers' flag, and that's it. But even if I saw someone burn that flag I'd think "Hmm, making a point, wonder what" not "I hate them and should beat the shit out of them". And I wouldn't go to rescue the flag either. At a funeral or anywhere. What the flag's symbol is, is much more important than the physical existence of the flag.

Archived