IGNORED

Set Apart Girl

JesusFightClub

Now as you guys know I'm a communist. I live and work amongst people who actually believe a twelve-page denunciation couched in the most obscure Marxist language is a good response to someone looking at them funny in a meeting.

We're also all about the cheery uplift. A meeting with ten folk, of which five were incredibly mental, will be reported as having hundreds of attendees "convinced of the principle of workers' solidarity".

(None of this changes the fact we are correct. We're just a bit weird.)

But used as I am to all of that, as well as the most obscure and bizarre papers of the furthest reaches of the Left, NOTHING HAS EVER BEEN AS FUCKING INSANE AS SETAPARTGIRL.

setapartgirl.com/home.html

She's strange isn't she? A re-incarnated Stepford robot I think, with that carefully-coiffed hair and the wide eyed, glassy stare.

All that sugar sets your teeth on edge - wonder what's behind it if you bite. Poison?

And 'best-selling' author? What planet is she living on?

Also, for someone totally devoted to God she says 'I', 'me' and 'my' a lot . . .

Guest Anonymous
...only out of intimacy with our heavenly Lover can the beauty of a God-written human love story be experienced.

What the what?!

I love the ten page article about selflessness. Can you be selfless and creepily self-promoting at the same time? Is that a thing? "She seemed to glow with an inner sparkle..." Buy my book!

Also, can people please stop saying 'without further adieu'? It really pisses me off.

Edited: the original wording was weird

I have to log off to work, but I only have one comment. As the mother of four children, she should be calling herself a WOMAN, not a girl.

Grrrrrr.

I read her insipid magazine yesterday. I was thoroughly underwhelmed by the whole thing. The whole "Set Apart Girl Playlists" was also thoroughly absurd.

So help me, I am never, ever going to understand these fundie women who are always going on and on about being "passionately in love with Christ." They remind me of certain female Catholic saints, nuns who were canonized in the Middle Ages, who seemed to be obsessed with the same thing. But those nuns tended to live in cloisters, and getting all Jesusy was the only emotional outlet they had.

Now, I am a UU who self-identifies as Christian, in that Jesus's teachings in the New Testament are essential to my moral and ethical compass. But this fundie Jesus-lovin' makes me want to be mean enough to say, "How on earth can you be in love with an itinerant preacher who's been dead for nearly two millennia?" Hell, I loved my father, and he's been dead for only three years, but people would think I was nuts if I carried on this way about him.

It's all a bunch of marketing, carefully orchestrated to appeal to a more mainstream audience while steering them into a more fundamentalist brand of protestantism. Everything is for sale. She doesn't just give her love story away, she gives a teaser and tells you to buy her book. 'Whenever anyone says to us, “So tell us about your love story†we tell them to read When Dreams Come True. Our love story, in our humble opinion, was (and is) one of the most amazing in the history of the world. Not because of our own romantic ability – rather, because God Himself scripted the details. All of the struggles, doubts, hopes, fears, failures and triumphs of our relationship are captured in this book. During our single years and throughout our love story, Leslie and I both kept detailed journals, which we drew from when putting this book together. As a result, this story provides an intimate peak inside our hearts and minds during the process of building a God-written love story. It’s written like a novel, but the story is true. If you want a clear example of what a Heaven-built romance can look like, this is the book for you. If you have ever struggled with the idea of giving God full control of this area of your life, this book will offer you a refreshing vision of hope.'

Ok, I've only reached the story about the girl in the cafe with her friend in a wheelchair and I'm already incensed. It doesn't take a saintly Christian to befriend someone in a wheelchair- all it takes is someone who is not a complete jerk with an ounce of compassion and interest in others. I, too, had a good friend at my former workplace who was in a wheelchair with physical disabilities that weakened her limbs - I, too, helped her open drink cans, became cognizant of which lunch places were wheelchair-accessible, and felt terrible when waitresses treated her like she was stupid or like they were afraid of her. There was nothing of self-sacrifice involved in my friendship with her because it wasn't a big deal to accommodate her needs, and we had so much in common given our line of work and personal interests that it was truly a joy to hang out with her and talk about everything we both cared about. Not being friends with her because she was in a wheelchair would have been my loss. By the way, she had tons of friends and was very social, so it wasn't at all like I was unique or exceptional in my friendship with her.

The author of the story seems so focused on looking at the event through the lens of her own able-ism that I think she paints a demeaning picture of the nature of friendship with someone with physical disabilities. It's implied that the wheelchair-using friend was benefiting from the relationship while the "sandy-haired girl" was sacrificing herself for the relationship. I know this sentiment is not expressed in those words, but the fact that the author dwells on the nature of the relationship as exceptional, instead of seeing it as totally within the range of the "normal" college activities going on at the cafe, speaks volumes. It doesn't take a Christian worldview to enjoy friendships with others or to help out your friends.

Now as you guys know I'm a communist. I live and work amongst people who actually believe a twelve-page denunciation couched in the most obscure Marxist language is a good response to someone looking at them funny in a meeting.

We're also all about the cheery uplift. A meeting with ten folk, of which five were incredibly mental, will be reported as having hundreds of attendees "convinced of the principle of workers' solidarity".

(None of this changes the fact we are correct. We're just a bit weird.)

But used as I am to all of that, as well as the most obscure and bizarre papers of the furthest reaches of the Left, NOTHING HAS EVER BEEN AS FUCKING INSANE AS SETAPARTGIRL.

setapartgirl.com/home.html

*I'm interrupting the snarking to give JFC a compliment*

JFC - your posts are always interesting but the way you phrased this post made me laugh out loud :clap:

*please return to your regularly scheduled snarking*

As a result, this story provides an intimate peak inside our hearts and minds during the process of building a God-written love story. '

I lol'd at "intimate peak" in the quote describing their love story you copied above. When God writes your love story, you too can make love on a mountaintop for your first intimate experience! Oh wait - that's not what they're implying?

"How to climb Sex Mountain" might have been an appropriate subtitle for the book, come to think of it.

I'll stop now...

Also, is there any more ridiculous term to describe a contemporary Godly man than "warrior-poet?" King David was a warrior-poet, in that he fought wars and wrote psalms. Some dude who goes to church on Sunday, owns his own landscaping business and wants to marry a virginal Christian girl is not a "warrior-poet."

Also, is there any more ridiculous term to describe a contemporary Godly man than "warrior-poet?" King David was a warrior-poet, in that he fought wars and wrote psalms. Some dude who goes to church on Sunday, owns his own landscaping business and wants to marry a virginal Christian girl is not a "warrior-poet."

Maybe he "debates" with "atheists"* and writes shitty poetry?

*If you tried to put a figure on the number of atheists these so-called Christian morons claim there are, you'd probably wind up with a staggeringly high number. You would definitely count more "atheists" than actual self-identifying atheists!

*I'm interrupting the snarking to give JFC a compliment*

JFC - your posts are always interesting but the way you phrased this post made me laugh out loud :clap:

*please return to your regularly scheduled snarking*

It made my laugh really hard also! Especially the bolded. :lol:

I googled one of the "set-apart" married couples featured in the magazine and found this truly barf-worthy "love story."

benandelsje.com

It's all pretty awful, but my favorite part has got to be:

In the lounge of their home, I knelt down on one knee and uttered words I’ve never before whispered (either in English or Afrikaans). The crescendo of Heaven’s symphony resonated with perfect beauty as tears streamed down both our faces like liquid diamonds. Only Jesus could compose so sweet a song, and it came through years of consecration to Him.

(We missed the live feed of the wedding this summer. I couldn't be more disappointed. :roll: )

She states that she is a best selling author? Really, by what standards?

I googled and the only references are to her and her husband both calling themselves bestsellers, isn't that a title that you earn and not just give yourself?

ETA: So she KNEW That the woman knew Jesus Christ because she didn't hate someone due to their disability? HUH? Being nice to others and being generous and kind means you know Jeebus? QFT at its finest. You see a good and decent person and assume that that person cannot be a heathen. I know a lot of very kind and generous and loving people of all faiths, some with no official faith. It is so hateful and racist to assume that good people cannot come from all walks of life and all beliefs.

Eh, I don't really find her interesting enough to read through the dreg and snark.

However: What is UP with all the crazy ladies and their 'Jesus/God as lover' mentalities recently? Is it considered to be cheating if you're passionately in love with Jesus AND God, and if so, how do you choose which one to fall in love with? Is it like choosing a patron saint? Not actually snarking, I'm genuinely curious about this phenomenon. I thought it was a Catholic thing, but this woman (I refuse to call a married mother of four a girl) isn't Catholic. Or a bestselling author, by that's beside the point.

Heh, check out the other ministry, Ellerslie, a leadership training program [sic]. Here's the staff page:

http://www.ellerslie.com/MeetEllerslieTeam.html

The Dean of Women is:

a wife and mother of five grown children and grandmother to thirteen grandchildren, a seasoned spiritual mentor, ministry administrator, Biblical counsellor, registered nurse, and surrogate mom to countless young adults. She has served as a volunteer at a Crisis Pregnancy Center as well as at the local hospital in attending to the spiritual needs of the patients. Sandi is tailor-made for the job of making students feel welcomed into the Ellerslie world and caring for both the spiritual and practical needs of our female students. Sandi also serves as executive assistant to Eric Ludy.

The Dean of Men is:

an accomplished musician and passionate teacher and preacher of the Gospel. He has spent the last several years involved in several different ministry roles: church planter, worship leader, youth minister, recording artist, and overseas missionary. Ben is deeply passionate about reaching the orphans and unreached people groups in Asia with the glorious Gospel of Christ. In addition to overseeing the spiritual and practical needs of Ellerslie male students, Ben also serves Ellerslie as a worship leader, instructor, and director of student life activities.

So we have the uber-maternal figure, and the man who is 'passionate' twice in one paragraph but who doesn't have a family of his own, meeting the 'practical needs' of young men.

Hmmm.

The author of the story seems so focused on looking at the event through the lens of her own able-ism that I think she paints a demeaning picture of the nature of friendship with someone with physical disabilities. It's implied that the wheelchair-using friend was benefiting from the relationship while the "sandy-haired girl" was sacrificing herself for the relationship. I know this sentiment is not expressed in those words, but the fact that the author dwells on the nature of the relationship as exceptional, instead of seeing it as totally within the range of the "normal" college activities going on at the cafe, speaks volumes. It doesn't take a Christian worldview to enjoy friendships with others or to help out your friends.

I also read that story, and what the author kept pointing out was that all the other kids were flirting while the girl paid attention to the friend in the wheelchair-as this apparently also was self-sacrifice and 'going against the crowd.' Has this author never been out with another female friend to have some girl time? But it defeats the purpose of showing that the featured girl is Self Sacrificing And Godly instead of...y'know, what she was probably doing. Having fun with another female friend. Flirting is not required to go listen to a band in a coffeehouse.

But it is the only thing a repressed, sex-obsessed fundie can think about. So going against that to be friends with another girl (bonus points for the wheelchair, big pat on the back!) is a sacrifice.

Ugh.

I also read that story, and what the author kept pointing out was that all the other kids were flirting while the girl paid attention to the friend in the wheelchair-as this apparently also was self-sacrifice and 'going against the crowd.' Has this author never been out with another female friend to have some girl time? But it defeats the purpose of showing that the featured girl is Self Sacrificing And Godly instead of...y'know, what she was probably doing. Having fun with another female friend. Flirting is not required to go listen to a band in a coffeehouse.

And how did she even know the other people were all flirting with each other anyway? Her description sounded like they were swapping tables because they were interested in each others' conversations. I suppose if a man or a woman in her world was thinking "Oh! That person's making some really fascinating points on music/politics/the state of the seating in here/football" it would AKSHULLY translate to "I want to rip their clothing right off now and do them".

Seconding the point as well that she makes it seem a trial to speak with the poor disabled girl. Instead of what it actually sounds like, which were two mates out for a coffee and a bit of a laugh. Both girls probably thought they were just doing normal things friends do, as they were, and we can be thankful they didn't know a sanctimonious Christian was watching them and making judgements.

I just started to read the benandelsje.com blog that someone above found in the Set Above girl site. Here's a quote where the guy talks about how he's been praying for God to open up a way for him to court the girl.

"My inbox declared a new message had arrived, and sitting right there like a cherry topped ice-cream cone was an email from this young lady’s dad. For the next few weeks he and I secretly corresponded and I articulated to him my desire to pursue, woo and win His daughter’s heart."

What a freudian slip. Usually Christians only use the capital "H" His to refer to God, but it's so important that this fundie gets the dad's approval to court the girl that he apparently relates to the girl's dad as it he is God. Just another problem with the patriarchal system that makes gods out of men.

I'm also not sure about that 'warrior-poet' article. Nothing about it screamed 'warrior'...or 'poet', really. More of 'sanctimonious, shallow wannabe patriarch.'

Oh waiiiit. Fundie culture DOES call those warrior-poets!

I just started to read the benandelsje.com blog that someone above found in the Set Above girl site. Here's a quote where the guy talks about how he's been praying for God to open up a way for him to court the girl.

"My inbox declared a new message had arrived, and sitting right there like a cherry topped ice-cream cone was an email from this young lady’s dad. For the next few weeks he and I secretly corresponded and I articulated to him my desire to pursue, woo and win His daughter’s heart."

What a freudian slip. Usually Christians only use the capital "H" His to refer to God, but it's so important that this fundie gets the dad's approval to court the girl that he apparently relates to the girl's dad as it he is God. Just another problem with the patriarchal system that makes gods out of men.

The other Freudian slip seems to be (to my dirty mind anyways) the cherry topped ice cream cone. He was really wooing and winning the right to pop her cherry. Its sick how if this girl was the same in every other way but had kissed a guy beforehand that he would probably have not gone near her. They aren't worried about personality, they are all about subservience and the condition of a girl's hymen.

I'm also not sure about that 'warrior-poet' article. Nothing about it screamed 'warrior'...or 'poet', really. More of 'sanctimonious, shallow wannabe patriarch.'

Oh waiiiit. Fundie culture DOES call those warrior-poets!

Amazing! I think you nailed it.

So we have the uber-maternal figure, and the man who is 'passionate' twice in one paragraph but who doesn't have a family of his own, meeting the 'practical needs' of young men.

Hmmm.

Meeting the practical needs of young men? I know they don't mean it that way, but that doesn't sound like someone who should be allowed around minors.

Archived