IGNORED

Malala Yousafzai (one of the bravest kids out there) shot...

Effie

If the injury is that catastrophic, the 30% might be a more humane option. I'd hate to think that this brave young woman would survive only to have the barest existence. It seems like a lose-lose all around. I hope she beats ALL of the odds and lives life to the fullest, including seeing her dreams come to fruition and the Taliban destroyed.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know she's only 14, but this "girl" is a Woman, as far as I'm concerned. She's done more than I have at 23! I hope she lives, and that that life is a...how do I put this... like, I hope she doesn't have too much brain damage and that, like someone else said, the 30% is not the humane option... but I can't think of a way to say that that would come out right.

I just saw this last night on The Last Word and found it heartbreaking. I hope she is able to fuly recover. Unfortunately, the sick bastards behind this have vowed to kill her no matter what. I can't imagine how she could be safe in Pakistan under any conditions.

If the injury is that catastrophic, the 30% might be a more humane option. I'd hate to think that this brave young woman would survive only to have the barest existence. It seems like a lose-lose all around. I hope she beats ALL of the odds and lives life to the fullest, including seeing her dreams come to fruition and the Taliban destroyed.

I'm really worried that instead of the high-level education she deserves, she'll spend months or maybe even years re-learning basic things. Things can change so fast, it's scary. I want her to be able to study a law degree and go into politics :(

She talked in an interview about what would happen if the Taliban killed her. I can't imagine living life like that. It's completely incomprehensible.

So, this is Pakistan. The country that hid bin Laden, that we give foreign aid to...... This is how religious zealots operate - by killing children.

I'm really worried that instead of the high-level education she deserves, she'll spend months or maybe even years re-learning basic things. Things can change so fast, it's scary. I want her to be able to study a law degree and go into politics :(

She talked in an interview about what would happen if the Taliban killed her. I can't imagine living life like that. It's completely incomprehensible.

From what I can tell, it sounds like she was shot in the back of the neck (though I have no idea how accurate that it). The critical brain areas are probably the brainstem/cerebellum and the spinal cord, all of which are involved in very basic functioning. She'd probably have died pretty instantly if her cerebellum was damaged, and certain parts of the brainstem are the same. Long term effects would more likely be physical (unfortunately that could include total paralysis) or sensory, rather than direct intellectual impairment (though that could still result), but that would still take quite a long time to learn to cope with and could make her life very difficult, especially in a country where she didn't have the best opportunities in the first place.

From what I can tell, it sounds like she was shot in the back of the neck (though I have no idea how accurate that it). The critical brain areas are probably the brainstem/cerebellum and the spinal cord, all of which are involved in very basic functioning. She'd probably have died pretty instantly if her cerebellum was damaged, and certain parts of the brainstem are the same. Long term effects would more likely be physical (unfortunately that could include total paralysis) or sensory, rather than direct intellectual impairment (though that could still result), but that would still take quite a long time to learn to cope with and could make her life very difficult, especially in a country where she didn't have the best opportunities in the first place.

Either way it's horrible so I guess it doesn't really matter, there will probably be bad results. I read she was shot in the frontal lobes though. And saw the picture of her on the stretcher where her forehead was bandaged, so I assumed that. Maybe the information hasn't been released due to sensitivity.

Either way it's horrible so I guess it doesn't really matter, there will probably be bad results. I read she was shot in the frontal lobes though. And saw the picture of her on the stretcher where her forehead was bandaged, so I assumed that. Maybe the information hasn't been released due to sensitivity.

Yeah, that is what I assumed would have happened (being shot in the frontal lobes) but the only article I saw said otherwise so I went with it. I'm guessing you're right about information not being released, or at least not widely publicized.

Taliban (Pakistani or Pakistan trained) are generally good shots. Not always (what army is always made up of good shots?) but they would have picked someone specifically to shoot her, I think.

Headshots are difficult, even on kids. In fact, I would guess kids would make it worse. They are a bit squirmy and adolescent girls move about a fair bit.

I feel very sad indeed for this girl and am crossing all my fingers she's OK.

Sickening. My daughter is 6 and loves school. I can't imagine what that poor girl and her family have endured.

The Taliban thugs thought that they would silence Malala, and were apparently surprised that her attempted murder drew so much attention.

Let's spread the word about her to everyone we know. Her courage is unbelievable.

Apparently she's been moved to the UK, which is good. I'll assume her family is with her but details are understandably sketchy.

Done.

More than anything in recent memory, this senseless attack really hit a nerve.

So, this is Pakistan. The country that hid bin Laden, that we give foreign aid to...... This is how religious zealots operate - by killing children.

And it's not any different than what Charlie Fuqua says we should do to "rebellious children". A fundie is a fundie is a fundie. Makes no difference what they call their god.

I wonder if there is some way for her and her family to leave Pakistan? I'm sure the U.S., Canada, or Europe would be safer for her.

Apparently it's been offered (pre-shooting) due to her media attention. Her family declined saying Pakistan was their home and they could only change it from the inside. Brave, but I wish they'd just flown out and put her in a nice school somewhere. :-( (Then again, they are still Islamic, it would have to be a single-sex school I bet so mine is out.) She is in the UK now though for treatment.

It's definitely hitting the news. Did they really think it wouldn't? Not that we need any more proof the Taliban are spineless and awful.

What an amazingly brave person she is! She recognized the danger in speaking out about the tyranny that girls were facing, and their hopelessness without education...and she just kept going. Incredible.

So now we have yet another reason to detest the taliban (small t) Cowards. Such big brave boys they are, pulling children off a schoolbus and shooting them at point-blank range. The world certainly seems to be watching this, though. Would it be too much to hope that the end result would be greater polarization of the anti-taliban forces? I hope Malala survives to see that the taliban's attempt to kill her not only didn't succeed...but that her tragedy and pain galvinized others to action, to denounce and defeat these dirty bastards.

Meanwhile, I'm sending all the good karma I can muster to her surgeons....

We need to talk about Malala. We need to think about how even in the United States, there are people who want to limit the minds and the bodies of girls. Even here, there are extremists who cherry pick lines from ancient sacred texts to silence, to hide and to stifle half of the human population.

Go Malala! I hope you're being told how many people all overthe world are pulling for you. You are truly an inspiration.

Archived