IGNORED

ARKANSAS REP. ENDORSES DEATH PENALTY FOR REBELLIOUS CHILDREN

Lillybee

How is this man's name pronouced? Because if it is "Fuck, wha--?" then I might believe in God again. :lol:

I was saying it as "fuck you all" without the L sound- as in, his attitude towards innocent children evil heathens.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, does this mean I can argue that my fetus is being rebellious for being in my uterus when I don't want it there?

So, does this mean I can argue that my fetus is being rebellious for being in my uterus when I don't want it there?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

If children could be executed for rebellion i don't see how any would make it to adulthood. Rebellion is a normal part of child development and establishing a sense of self.

I think that means that YOU are being rebellious for not wanting it there.

Can someone answer a serious question for me? When did the Republican party get hijacked by Christian nut jobs? The Republican party of today is not the same Republican party that I was taught about in high school in the late 90's or in college in the early 00's. I realize why it happened (they realized that there was an untapped voter pool of the fundamentalist Christian variety), but has it really only been for the past 10 years or so? How did they get SO extreme SO fast?

Given than many fundies consider adult women (over the age of 18) to be "children," I wonder if this guy and any possible supportors are considering this as a means of preventing their SAHDs from escaping? No matter what sick and twisted rationale is being used here, :shock: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead: WTF?

Please god just let him be hit by a car. (well not rally but still)

this is what gets me about god he lets people like this loose on the world. he does nothing to stop such people? 4people can do anything in gods name and he sits back and lets it happen.

I really missed the boat when I dismissed Jerry Falwell as a crank that all rational people would dismiss and expected him to disappear from the public domain fairly quickly.

Mr Fucker -- that's how I read it -- is certainly a case for retrospective abortion.

Fuqua is from Springdale, aka Duggar country

He's running in the district that includes Batesville. That puts him in the same part of the world as the slavery is good candidate... :oops:

Love your rhetoric... ;)

Great comment in the reply section:

Ah the RW. The sacredness of life begins at procreatio­n and ends at birth.

He's running in the district that includes Batesville. That puts him in the same part of the world as the slavery is good candidate... :oops:

Kind of sort of, though I could argue there is a fairly substantial cultural difference between Batesville and Jonesboro, mostly because Jonesboro is much more "delta" and Batesville is much more Ozarks culture. I actually expect this more from Batesville, because there is some fairly heavy racism in that area, mostly a spillover from Harrison/Mountain Home and the prison in Calico Rock. It has a small, religious college, but in my experience, it's not large enough to affect much. Batesville is the town where the local, small Pagan Pride Day was completely overrun by a "prayer circle" and folks "witnessing to the Satanists."

Jonesboro has a large public university and lots of liberal folks, but there are also a lot of "small town kid come to town" folks who settle there after college. What wins the GOP elections in that area are the outlying towns and the megachurches.

Either way, according to the Arkansas Times today, both guys have had all their state level GOP funding taken away. So at least someone isn't completely off their rocker in Little Rock.

Okay so let me get this straight a group of rapidly dividing cells has a right to life, but a living breathing child with the ability to feel fear and real physical pain their life can be snuffed out at the whim of their parents if their parents feel that they've been rebellious. If they truly believe all life is precious then the life of a rebellious teen should be just as sacred to them as that of an unborn baby.

Of course this is just another failure in fundie logic, and I can't imagine parents ever lining up at the courthouse to have their kids sentenced to death. I at least hope that the majority of people will see this wackjob for the insane POS that he is and make sure that he couldn't even get elected village idiot.

This idiot is in public office? Aaaaah!

Stoning was the generally accepted method of execution among the ancient Israelites for at least two reasons:

1) All the community would be involved in the execution, so that all of them would share responsibility not only for ensuring that justice were done; but also the bloodguilt if they killed an innocent person.

2) The concept of prison – the dungeon, essentially – was just being imported from other cultures. There were no prisons, then, and so offenders were either forced to make restitution for their crime in some fashion or they faced death if the crime were deemed serious enough that restitution could not be made.

These were the brutal laws from a brutal time. They were terrible, of course, but a lot more explicable under those circumstances than they ever could be now.

Boys were considered “adults†for the purposes of being counted in the assembly at age 13, but they were still considered youths in the eyes of their elders. It's not likely the rebellion for which these youths were stoned would have much to do with normal teenage “sins†such as back-talk. (That's what the rod was for.)

These youths would have to be notorious. Two crimes were listed as examples of what such rebelliousness would look like: Ongoing drunkenness and gluttony, the latter of which could endanger the camp food stores for the entire community. The parents of these unmarried youths, unable to sway them with reason or with punishment, were to turn these youths over to the community for what amounts to an honor killing. It's not clear how often this sort of thing happened. It is certainly clear, however, that the Israelites preferred other forms of punishment than killing their kids.

There is nothing wrong with an individual who considers the Bible a sacred text. There is a great deal wrong with someone who thinks the Bible is not merely an infallible account of history but a fit guide in all things for how to deal with modern social problems. The law actually evolved even within the pages of the Bible, and especially between the Old and New Testaments. It continues to evolve, even as we do; growing and changing as our knowledge does.

Unfortunately, certain people lack knowledge and consequently do not grow – and an alarming number of those atavistic assholes hold public office for some reason.

This is it, ladies and gentlemen. I officially quit the planet. I'm going to Mars.

Pigfarts, Pigfarts, here I come...

On a more serious note, while I find it utterly reprehensible that anybody would find this acceptable in the modern age, and find his Islamophobia abhorrent, it does seem to me that he was trying to argue that this was not a punishment he would actually go through with using, but more of a threat. And he does argue that it would have to be a joint decision with the parents and the community, rather as a last resort. All the same, the very idea is despicable and using death as a threat to children to make them obedient is cowardly, damaging, lazy, and generally awful. I am ever so grateful to live in my merry little blue state. And to hold dual citizenship so I can flee if needed.

Archived