IGNORED

... Does This Sound Familiar?

Anxious Girl

<>

It's like that stupid Kentucky/Tennessee law where teens can't hold each other's hands... Seriously, what is this country coming too? :evil: My friend and I hugged each other all the time in high school whenever we felt like it. Ftw, it's not like hugging will lead to sex, fundies.

Wow. Okay. So let's suspend 70% of the 8th grade for hugging. Let me know how that works out for you, North Carolina.

According to that article, wtfrenchtoast, 1 of my blue state's schools have outlawed hugging. Yeah. In a FUCKIN' BLUE state! *smoothes hair* I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm cool, I'm fine. * :twisted:

My high school, in 9th grade (which is also in North Carolina) did try to ban hugging as well. The only form of PDA allowed was hand-holding. Later on I was risking detention hugging my lesbian friend :?

One classmate said it was because the principal couldn't get any action himself. That's probably the case, or it's a bunch of school admins pearl-clutching over the fact that middle school students are beginning to be attracted to each other.

Either way, it's ridiculous and going that far shows how stupid you think kids are. "Kids need to know that there are boundaries" yeah, I think hugging would be an acceptable boundary.

Dear lord, how would my girls manage? They and their friends hug all the time, sit on each others' laps, play with hair, snuggle up like a basket of kittens when they have sleepovers ... That's ridiculous!

Ah, a good ol' Fox Carolina report, which explains why the pic has nothing to do with the story. (I used to watch the Fox Carolina News at 10 and laugh at the ignorance. Oh boy.)

I don't think this will fly very long. Honestly it's not even in that fundie of an area... I'm guessing administration has taken it a bit too far and a few angry parent phonecalls after kids are in detention/after school detention is going to clear this right up.

My school had a hugging rule, but it was only enforced when people were full-on making out in the hallways. Which actually happened a lot. :? Normal friend-hugs were ignored.

Our school technically had that rule, but.... the faculty knew that certain students were just huggy people, and that they hugged everyone. So, while in every other way they were strict (it was a religious private school... you couldn't even hold hands... my grandma, when she went to the same school, remembers students getting punished for holding opposite ends of a stick.) they would let it slide if they knew that hugs were just a way of greeting/saying "I love you" in a friendship way. Heh. Otherwise my friend Megan, whose love language was hugs, would've been put on social (Social holiday: not being allowed to speak to or communicate with each other in any way.) with every single boy in the entire school!

My school had a hugging rule, but it was only enforced when people were full-on making out in the hallways. Which actually happened a lot. :? Normal friend-hugs were ignored.

Mine had a no eating, no touching anyone else while out of school in uniform rule. Apparently it was targeting the girls who'd meet up with their boyfriends after school and get, well, very physical waiting for the buses, as well as the girls who'd go to McDonalds and throw chips at each other.

This is a normal school policy. I occasionally catch a couple of kids trying to make out near my classroom (in a part of the school that isn't hidden,but feels like it is) and break it up.

I don't see a "don't make out" policy as being a big problem, and I strongly suspect that this article is blowing things up- both as a teacher and knowing how that can happen, and seeing that its Faux news.

Even the most righteous of hugs, the side-hug?

According to that article, wtfrenchtoast, 1 of my blue state's schools have outlawed hugging. Yeah. In a FUCKIN' BLUE state! *smoothes hair* I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm cool, I'm fine. * :twisted:

Ok...it's against the law to hold hands, but a TSA agent can just feel up my hair any time she feels like it. Hell, I'm confused.

Ok...it's against the law to hold hands, but a TSA agent can just feel up my hair any time she feels like it. Hell, I'm confused.

You know, that's happened to me too, getting my hair checked at TSA. Were you wearing earrings? I always wear mine through security, and I think they light up on the screen in my general head area, so that's why they check.

The only hugging rule we had was about teacher-student liability, teachers weren't allowed to hug students unless the student initiated it. I'm not actually sure how much it was enforced but at least at the high school level it was part of the culture as in teachers were very wary of having any physical contact with students, unless it was a big day like the last day of school. I think it is important to set boundaries to prevent sexual harassment but I don't think a hug is always sexual or a sign of someone in power abusing their power. When I was a support group leader we were warned that anything up to hugs was ok but it was probably best to let the other person lead so that they wouldn't feel overwhelmed or uncomfortable.

eta: Our PDA rule was separate. You were allowed to kiss another student as long as you weren't being obnoxious about it.

You know, that's happened to me too, getting my hair checked at TSA. Were you wearing earrings? I always wear mine through security, and I think they light up on the screen in my general head area, so that's why they check.

They've felt up my hair, too - I was wearing a big clip in it, so that's probably why. Plus, I just have a lot of hair.

They've felt up my hair, too - I was wearing a big clip in it, so that's probably why. Plus, I just have a lot of hair.

A friend was checking guinea pigs as baggage, and they patted them down. They were long haired guinea pigs, but really, what are you going to hide in a guinea pig?

A friend was checking guinea pigs as baggage, and they patted them down. They were long haired guinea pigs, but really, what are you going to hide in a guinea pig?

I am way too amused at the image of somebody stuffing contraband in a guinea pig. :lol:

I am way too amused at the image of somebody stuffing contraband in a guinea pig. :lol:

I just like the thought of a security guard being so taken with the guinea pigs that s/he looks for any excuse to give them a pat. They knew there was no contraband and just wanted a guinea pig snuggle! A patdown was the next best thing.

Ah, a good ol' Fox Carolina report, which explains why the pic has nothing to do with the story. (I used to watch the Fox Carolina News at 10 and laugh at the ignorance. Oh boy.)

:lol: I used to do the same thing (I even remember when they changed the name from Fox... 21?, I think... to Fox Carolina)! Despite being a kid/teenager, I was still mind fucked by the crap they called "news" and the conservative/vaguely religious spin they managed to put on everything. Makes the NYC Fox affiliate seem downright sane and normal.

ETA: We couldn't hold hands or hug at my schools. It wasn't really a big deal, because people learned to hold hands under tables--but maybe I just wasn't bothered by it because I'm not the PDA sort?

Archived