IGNORED

Answers for QF/ATI upbringing

razingruth

A rerun of Breaking Amish is on, so...

What do the ATI/Gothard crowd think of the Amish and Mennonite communities? I could see them being admired for their conservatism, modest dress, and traditional gender roles, or hated simply because fundies are good at hating everyone that isn't them.

Hi Ruth, I am so glad you're posting here now. I'm also a long time lurker of your blog and I am very glad to see that you're doing well. :)

My question for you is regarding clothing. Do you feel self-conscious in the clothing you pick? Do you feel like there are things you might like to wear, but feel like you would be uncomfortable in them? I watched Paradise Recovered last night and thought of you. I imagine you used to wear plainly colored skirts/dresses and am just wondering how far away from that you have gone. I imagine that would be a very big adjustment.

A rerun of Breaking Amish is on, so...

What do the ATI/Gothard crowd think of the Amish and Mennonite communities? I could see them being admired for their conservatism, modest dress, and traditional gender roles, or hated simply because fundies are good at hating everyone that isn't them.

I know the Bontragers (an ATI family with strong VF links) are from a Mennonite background on both parents sides and are still very close to and seemingly very accepting of their Mennonite family members.

They attend family reunions that appear to be about 50% head covering Mennonites, 35% "modern modest" fundies and about 15% secular or fundie lite appearing (pants and short skirts on women, shorts on men).

Ruth, another thread got me wondering...is there a book you have read since leaving ATI, one that would have been forbidden to you while living in your parents home, that you now absolutely love?

Ruth,

I just wanted to tell you good luck. I think it is good you are in a place where your identity is much bigger than just "the girl who left". No matter what doubts I ever had, your story was compelling and I am glad you told it. I hope you continue to find your niche in life and wish nothing but the best for you.

I echo these thoughts. Best wishes and good luck in your future.

Ruth,

I read through your blog last week. It's a compelling story and I am glad that you got a chance to tell it. If your blog/story has not already been a comfort to people who have left and/or want to leave ATI/Gothardism (or an ATI like life), it will be.

All Best,

CW

Archived