IGNORED

Evangelical Clergy Plan to Break the Law on 10/7

Austin

1,000 Evangelical Preachers Will Break the Law and Support Republicans from the Pulpit

Next Sunday, October 7, about a thousand preachers will violate the requirement they agreed to honor with the Internal Revenue Service by actively providing specific guidance about how to vote on issues and candidates. The yearly ritual started in 2008 to challenge the I.R.S. rules prohibiting campaigning from the pulpit, and it informs the callous disregard the preachers have for the law and financial gifts from American taxpayers. It is important to remember that these members of the clergy are leaders of their respective congregations, and in openly flaunting their contempt for the law, are using god to frighten their adherents to vote for, or against, specific candidates for political office, violate an agreement, and model dishonesty Jesus Christ forbade. According to the agreement churches make with the IRS to receive their taxpayer subsidies, IRC 501©(3) “prohibits an organization from directly or indirectly participating in or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. Contributions to political campaign funds or public statements (verbal or non-verbal) made by or on behalf of the organization in favor of, or opposition to, any candidate for public office violates the prohibition against political campaign intervention.â€

http://www.politicususa.com/1000-evange ... ulpit.html

Methinks Jesus would not approve. After all, he said, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's". -Mark 12:17

Moral high ground, my ass.

We have an agreement in the USA that if you want a tax exemption, you need to stay out of partisan politics. These asshats think they're exempt from that.

I wish the IRS would sue one or two of these fucktoads, just to put the fear of Jehovah into them, but if the IRS won't shut down a cult that dropped over $10 million on two PIs spying on one guy over 25 years, then they're not likely to go after the First Baptist Church of Head Up My Ass, Arkansas for publicly endorsing Romney.

And, for the record, I'm against political endorsements no matter what side of the aisle you're on. If I hear of a church endorsing a Democrat, I will be dropping a dime to Americans United. Because church and state should be separate.

We have an agreement in the USA that if you want a tax exemption, you need to stay out of partisan politics. These asshats think they're exempt from that.

I wish the IRS would sue one or two of these fucktoads, just to put the fear of Jehovah into them, but if the IRS won't shut down a cult that dropped over $10 million on two PIs spying on one guy over 25 years, then they're not likely to go after the First Baptist Church of Head Up My Ass, Arkansas for publicly endorsing Romney.

And, for the record, I'm against political endorsements no matter what side of the aisle you're on. If I hear of a church endorsing a Democrat, I will be dropping a dime to Americans United. Because church and state should be separate.

I hope the IRS does do something like persecute and revoke the 503© status of those churches.

I hope the IRS does do something like persecute and revoke the 503© status of those churches.

Oh, I'm positive they would indeed consider it persecution. :D

Oh, I'm positive they would indeed consider it persecution. :D

:lol: And they'd totally get off on it, too.

Seriously, though, I do hope the IRS knows about this. I can't be the only one who forwarded the link to them. Maybe if enough people do that, they'll pay attention and do something about this BS.

:lol: And they'd totally get off on it, too.

Seriously, though, I do hope the IRS knows about this. I can't be the only one who forwarded the link to them. Maybe if enough people do that, they'll pay attention and do something about this BS.

Being persecuted! Just like Jesus! Like the early church martyrs! Because of ... the tax code. Yep. In the arena, with the lions, Perpetua and Felicity, etc, so forth.

They're speshul, what do you want?

they want to the IRS to do something. it is pretty much breaking the law so it makes them sinners. but hey they should be able to force their political beliefs on everyone that looks up to them. The IRS can't really do anything without causing more problems. If they take their tax exempt status away then they can do what they want freely. I think just a huge fine would be the best thing.

Take that c3 status and kiss it good-bye, kiddos.

Exactly. These clergy should be penalized, the tax exempt status of their churches revoked. They need to realize that they're not "speshul snowflakes" above the law.

Exactly. These clergy should be penalized, the tax exempt status of their churches revoked. They need to realize that they're not "speshul snowflakes" above the law.

The only way thats going to happen is if some video hits youtube... who wants to go to church?

no you don't want that then they can do it all the time. a fine is good but don't make it so they can do it all of the time. You don't want them paying money to politicians do you?

This angers me. If churches want to get into politics all that they have to do is give up their tax exempt status. However, I have a feeling that if the IRS goes after them, both Fox News and conservative Christians will play up the persecution angle. It seems like not just fundamentalists but many conservative Christians don't believe that rules should apply to them

no you don't want that then they can do it all the time. a fine is good but don't make it so they can do it all of the time. You don't want them paying money to politicians do you?

That's true. I wasn't thinking about that when I posted, but you're right. Given the political climate of the US, I'd be afraid to have the clergy unrestrained.

This angers me. If churches want to get into politics all that they have to do is give up their tax exempt status. However, I have a feeling that if the IRS goes after them, both Fox News and conservative Christians will play up the persecution angle. It seems like not just fundamentalists but many conservative Christians don't believe that rules should apply to them

There was an investigation a few years ago into the mega scammers (eddie long, creflo dollar etc) and their tax status. That went nowhere...

They just want to play the persecution card, as usual... What is with these fundies and persecution complexes? It's not healthy, seriously. Fundies who come on here berate us for snarking; but they're totally up for being "martyrs" on the internet for their religion. Psychology geeks: is there a word for when people think they're persecuted but they're not? :?

This has all the makings of a Supreme Court challenge. The fungelicals are betting on a long shot, that Mitten wins. They could then overcome and prevail with the three appointees from the next president.

That's true. I wasn't thinking about that when I posted, but you're right. Given the political climate of the US, I'd be afraid to have the clergy unrestrained.

I'm off the mind that, hey, they can preach whatever they please, they just don't get a tax break for it. Wanna tell people how to vote? Endorse candidates? There are tax codes for the that. C3 ain't it though. Revoke it, fine 'em, whatever, they just don't get a privileged status anymore.

I know it is scary. that's why a huge fine would be the easiest thing. of course they want persecuted only true Christians are persecuted.

At our Yom Kippur service this year our (very reform) rabbi told everyone how she wanted then to vote on the same sex marriage issue (which is on our ballot in WA). I was pretty shocked and a lot of people were upset by it. So, yeah, apparently it happens at both ends of the spectrum.

It is one of my biggest annoyances when churches talk politics. Thankfully, the church I attend does no such thing. Back in my Evangelical Baptist days it was a totally different story. I hope they all lose their tax exempt status.

No need to surreptitiousy record and upload to youtube or report these churches to the IRS. Many of the churches will tape their services and send the video to the IRS themselves. It's a big FUCK YOU to the IRS and all other Americans. That's kind of the point.

They just want to play the persecution card, as usual... What is with these fundies and persecution complexes? It's not healthy, seriously. Fundies who come on here berate us for snarking; but they're totally up for being "martyrs" on the internet for their religion. Psychology geeks: is there a word for when people think they're persecuted but they're not? :?

Persecution complex?

For anyone who's interested, Jim Garlow, who is one of the ringleaders of this crap, is going to be on the Colbert Report tonight.

Persecution privilege? It's like white privilege, only with the feeling of being persecuted while you're oppressing others)=.

What else can these poor, put-upon clergymen preach about? October 7th is only the anniversary of the US invasion of Afghanistan, and the bible doesn't really talk about wars or anything. :roll:

Archived