IGNORED

Predictions for a daughter- Renewing Houswives

samurai_sarah

I've seen this so many times: Proud outlines of "Biblical womanhood" that boil down to very basic things that anyone can learn in a few months. Yay, you turned out a minimally competent adult, go you.

Even if you ignore the fact that the poem in Proverbs 31 is addressed to men and is not a curriculum for women, you can't ignore that he proudly turns management of the entire household over to her. She makes the financial decisions. She makes the major purchases. She does the planning. She. She. She. Not he.

Women actually have a higher tolerance for pain on average, though they're physically weaker. I've also read that the X chromosome is more resilient than the Y chromosome. I have no idea how true that is, however.

X chromosomes are more stable than Y, and carry on average 20% more genetic info. An X chromosome is frequently described as having 4 legs (that join at the center). Structurally, a Y chromosome is like an X that's missing one leg. Their geometry alone makes Y chromosomes less stable. The lesser number of genes on Ys also matters: with fewer genes present to do the work, every gene becomes extremely important. An aberration in a Y chromosome is always major because there is zero room for error. But X chromosomes can tolerate some problems without the outcome being severe. So biochemically as well as geometrically, X chromosomes are stronger than Y.

So much for the "weaker vessel" bullshit.

I've been thinking about this all day, that's how much it depressed me. Obviously the fact that this poor little girl has no choice in life is tragic, but I think what makes it really, really awful is the focus on what she WON'T do. If we were living in the kind of era in which women couldn't be leaders etc (don't get any ideas, GOP), and I had a daughter, I certainly wouldn't focus on all the things she *wouldn't* be. I would be saying, I hope she'll be kind and gracious and successful in anything she tries, etc (without assuming too much, mind). Focusing on the fact that she won't be a leader and won't be in charge of her life makes the whole thing sound very politicized, like it isn't about her daughter at all but rather advertising her loopy beliefs to the world.

Women actually have a higher tolerance for pain on average, though they're physically weaker. I've also read that the X chromosome is more resilient than the Y chromosome. I have no idea how true that is, however.

IIRC it's that women have something like twice as many sensory neurons as men do (this might be generally or specifically pain-sensing neurons). When we do cold-tolerance tests women are usually less tolerant than men (they remove their hands from cold water sooner), but not to the extent you'd expect from the neuronal differences. I'm not sure how well cold tolerance translates to general pain in this case, though, because women have a good reason to keep their bodies warm (babies).

X chromosomes are more stable than Y, and carry on average 20% more genetic info. An X chromosome is frequently described as having 4 legs (that join at the center). Structurally, a Y chromosome is like an X that's missing one leg. Their geometry alone makes Y chromosomes less stable. The lesser number of genes on Ys also matters: with fewer genes present to do the work, every gene becomes extremely important. An aberration in a Y chromosome is always major because there is zero room for error. But X chromosomes can tolerate some problems without the outcome being severe. So biochemically as well as geometrically, X chromosomes are stronger than Y.

So much for the "weaker vessel" bullshit.

Yes, this is along the lines of what I read. Thank you, Elisanne. I only pointed it out to show that women as 'weaker' is not always the case.

Oh this one is full of handy "tips". Here is her list of things you need to teach to prepare you daughter for marriage (her words are bolded).

Sew up a ripped hem, and replace buttons

Budget money well

Cook several healthy, tasty meals

Know how to adapt meals to accommodate a few surprise guests

Comparison shop to save her family money

Correctly wash and care for laundry

Clean a home from top to bottom

Know how to care for an infant

Be familiar with different types of medications

Have the basics in making a home comfortable and inviting.

Well look at me - I'm a regular Suzy Homemaker because I can do all those things - but so can most of my female friends and my husband can do all those things too - so I guess we are all ready to be homemakers.

My marriage prep list is different from hers. Here are some things I have suggested to my young female relatives and friends as my "prepare for marriage" list.

1. Get comfortable in your own skin - if something is blocking you from being satisfied with yourself - seek guidance - be it counselling or exercise or what ever - you can't really love someone if you don't even like yourself

2. Take care of yourself (and all your expenses) entirely by yourself for a minimum of one year - you need to know you can look after yourself - knowing you can stand on your own two feet will give you what I call the "fuck off" factor

3. Do at least one long term project(something that will take >1 year) that requires planning, sacrifice, hard work and delay of gratification - this might mean a degree or starting your own business or something like that - This is to learn(or confirm) you have the discipline and self control you will surely need at times in your marriage

4. Travel - or something that will expose you to different cultures and ideas - this is to help you figure out what is right for you and what you want.

What ideas would you suggest?

We know the Duggars can't make healthy meals. Could that be the reason why none of the daughters are married?

Oh this one is full of handy "tips". Here is her list of things you need to teach to prepare you daughter for marriage (her words are bolded).

Budget money well

I know 10 and 12 year olds that can do most of this stuff. That is not any reason for them to get married!

I think these things are something every parent should teach their children, regardless of gender, before they are old enough to move out.

Even boys should know how to cook, clean, do laundry and budget money, theyre basic life skills that any adult should know.

Budget money well

Well look at me - I'm a regular Suzy Homemaker because I can do all those things - but so can most of my female friends and my husband can do all those things too - so I guess we are all ready to be homemakers.

My marriage prep list is different from hers. Here are some things I have suggested to my young female relatives and friends as my "prepare for marriage" list.

1. Get comfortable in your own skin - if something is blocking you from being satisfied with yourself - seek guidance - be it counselling or exercise or what ever - you can't really love someone if you don't even like yourself

2. Take care of yourself (and all your expenses) entirely by yourself for a minimum of one year - you need to know you can look after yourself - knowing you can stand on your own two feet will give you what I call the "fuck off" factor

3. Do at least one long term project(something that will take >1 year) that requires planning, sacrifice, hard work and delay of gratification - this might mean a degree or starting your own business or something like that - This is to learn(or confirm) you have the discipline and self control you will surely need at times in your marriage

4. Travel - or something that will expose you to different cultures and ideas - this is to help you figure out what is right for you and what you want.

What ideas would you suggest?

I learned how to do all of her list for marriage while i was in ebil college. And they sau wives have nothing to learn in college.

I learned how to do all of her list for marriage while i was in ebil college. And they sau wives have nothing to learn in college.

Except for caring for an infant, I've done all of those things this WEEK. And I've studied all kinds of evil sciency university things. I mean, don't get me wrong, I have lots of respect for women who CHOOSE to be housewives and I realize it is a bit of a game-changer in terms of what you have to do and how you do them. It just gets on my nerves when people talk about stuff like learning to do laundry or prettying up the home as if that is somehow unique to SAHDs. All of us have to clean our clothes, guys.

Archived