IGNORED

US Ambassador to Libya killed by Angry Mob

Swamptribe

This is such a sad thing. I'm glad that President Obama and Hilary Clinton were both firm in stating that this wasn't something the Libyan people support. I can only imagine what some people are going to spew about this, but I hope it continues to get pointed out that several LIbyan citizens tried to save our people. From what is being said, a group even carried the ambassador to the hospital to try and save him.

Also, Mitt Romney better receive a load of backlash for how he's responded to this whole thing.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who has been to Libya, I know that most people there are disgusted by what happened. While they may be offended by the movie and disagree with it vehemently, they aren't the type of people to go on a killing spree. I met some great people during my short stay and felt extremely welcomed while there. I'm not surprised there were people who risked their own lives to try and help the Americans.

I'm stuck at a relative's watching Fox News and they sure seem to be doing their utmost to paint this as some sort of act of war by Libya, and complaining why didn't the Libyan government stop it, etc etc etc. Other news sources are pointing out that in fact plenty of Libyan people, government employees and otherwise, helped the embassy personnel, took the ambassador to the hospital, other ally-expected actions.

I will not deny that I also found it amusing how in an opinion piece about how horrible and silly it is for people to be upset about unflattering depictions of the prophet Muhammad, they are doing their best to linger over images of the US flag on the ground, the flag burning, some guy holding up a piece of a torn up US flag...

May the victims rest in peace.

This story is incredibly sad. What a tragic loss for both the people of the US and those of Libya.

To make matters worse, I just read that the filmmaker who put out the movie that mocked the prophet Muhammed intentionally deceived the actors in the film. They never said the name Muhammed; it was dubbed in during post production. They thought the movie was about ancient Egypt. They had no idea it had anything to do with Islam. They released a statement about it.

NPR's reporting that the supposedly Israeli maker of the supposed movie doesn't exist, and they tracked the phone # he was using to a dude in California who's got links to a rightwing anti-muslim group. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... mmad-movie

WTH? We're not going to have any idea what went on with this until much, much later.

All I will say is, I am REALLY REALLY GLAD Obama's in office. I was convinced at bedtime last night that we'd be bombing the shit out of Libya this morning, and instead the administration is working WITH the Libyan government to figure out what happened and prosecute.

All I will say is, I am REALLY REALLY GLAD Obama's in office. I was convinced at bedtime last night that we'd be bombing the shit out of Libya this morning, and instead the administration is working WITH the Libyan government to figure out what happened and prosecute.

Take a look at what Sarah Palin said on the incident and Obama's response (on her FB page) - then think about how close she got to the White House. Scary, scary, scary... I get the feeling a good chunk of the GOP would have started a war already.

Take a look at what Sarah Palin said on the incident and Obama's response (on her FB page) - then think about how close she got to the White House. Scary, scary, scary... I get the feeling a good chunk of the GOP would have started a war already.

Is Obama's response saved anywhere other than Facebook? There are now almost 20,000 comments under her post, and I don't feel like digging through it to find Obama's.

Palin is pathetic and irrelevant, IMHO. No one has given her the time of day in quite a while, and the fact that she's trying to capitalize on this tragedy in order to score herself some publicity just shows her true colors. It's just as tasteless as it would be if she were dancing on the graves of uniformed servicemen.

Rosa, I hadn't seen that NPR article; it's both illuminating and disturbing. I'm not entirely surprised that there are people fundamentalist enough to be willing to completely hide their identities in an attempt to provoke U.S./Middle East conflict, but it's just the height of conflict. The people murdered in Libya and those under attack in Cairo and Yemen are my colleagues. They have families, friends and coworkers. The vast majority of the people in that line of work are there because they're idealists who believe that they're helping people, not out of some Machiavellian sense of U.S. dominionism. For anyone to try and leverage their deaths for political gain really disgusts me. It's hard, because I think the Department of State suffers for having missions and goals that are much more difficult to articulate than those of our colleagues in the military, for instance. Most people don't know what State does or how it helps the U.S., but there are a lot of diplomats taking out there facing very real hardships and taking very real risks in an effort to serve their country- and that goes for all diplomats, not just those from the United States.

Secretary Clinton's remarks last night were both very moving and very true, I think. An excerpt:

This is an attack that should shock the conscience of people of all faiths around the world. We condemn in the strongest terms this senseless act of violence, and we send our prayers to the families, friends, and colleagues of those we’ve lost.

All over the world, every day, America’s diplomats and development experts risk their lives in the service of our country and our values, because they believe that the United States must be a force for peace and progress in the world, that these aspirations are worth striving and sacrificing for. Alongside our men and women in uniform, they represent the best traditions of a bold and generous nation.

In the lobby of this building, the State Department, the names of those who have fallen in the line of duty are inscribed in marble. Our hearts break over each one. And now, because of this tragedy, we have new heroes to honor and more friends to mourn.

Sorry for the double post- this is a blog post from someone who served with Ambassador Stevens in Jerusalem. It's moving and, I think, worth reading.

There is the old line about six degrees of separation. That everyone in the world is separated (sometimes from Kevin Bacon) by only six people. But there are never six degrees of separation in the Foreign Service. The line about there being fewer diplomats than military musicians is true. And so I doubt there is ever more than two degrees of separation in the Service. If you don’t know a person, you certainly know someone who does.

But with Chris, there was only one. We served together for more than a year and he was my friend.

Stevens was raped before he was killed.

That's sad.

And yet not a single valid news source can confirm your assertion.

Besides being a troll you are apparently a liar as well.

Ignoring the troll....I don't think Clinton should have made such a strong statement (or any statement actually) against the film. Even though she clarified that nobody should have died for it, it lends legitimacy to this kind of whacked out response to insults to the religion.

yup, an American coptic who also apparently dubbed the "film" and leaked it as well.

He obviously wanted this violence. What an asshole (as are those who perpetrated the violence in protest against the film). The attack in Libya seems more timed against 9/11.

Archived