IGNORED

Abigail is pre-engaged to Jesus

singsingsing

I hope she gets the help she needs. She sounds depressed, slightly out of touch with reality, and desperate.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, she has most definitely not taken a vow of chastity. She obviously wants more children, and she and her husband are not using birth control or (at least as of a couple months ago) NFP.

Out of my way, Abigail, I SAW HIM FIRST!!!!! And, as a high school student, I spent a lot of time with the novice nuns, because, yes, dear Jingers, I thought I was going to be one, so I, too, was pre-engaged to Jesus.

You're so sexy. I <3 pre-nuns.

Oh fuck, one of the people who commented positively on that post is affiliated with The Family International.

Holy balls, that's a whole new level of terrifying.

I think she is saying that she is claining to be a Ukrainian (her heritage) orphan b/c her parents put her in daycare in the 70s. In America. She lived in Madison and then West Virginia. Her parents are educators. She is an expert at making herself the victim in every situation.

Pre-engaged to Jesus??! She is a lay carmelite who can never take holy orders unless she is widowed. She is delusional. She sounds like she really needs to be medicated. She is out of touch with reality.

I am Catholic and she frightens me. I converted after we had already taken permanent measures to avoid further children. We have three and our "quiver" is FULL.

I wanted to clarify, chastity =/= abstinence. You can be chaste and still be having sex with your spouse. Not that that makes her any less wacko...

From one of her latest posts in which 9/11 is all about her and her righteous anger that the rest of the world isn't holy enough:

I'm hoping to bring the gang back to Mass at noon to pray today--but you never can tell what God has in store for you. We could be in the ER by then.

I did a double take, went back and read the post again and the other posts around it, wondering what had happened, if one of her kids was really sick, or if she knew someone who had been in an accident - nope. "We could be in the ER by then" just came completely out of nowhere, apparently much like her comment about "throwing up from chemo". I'm starting to actually wonder about her mental stability. :?

She wants to be a martyr, so she needs to make her life sound as dramatic as possible. Look how she is SUFFERING for Jeebus! And so meek, quiet and modest in bearing her trials.

Does anyone know what her husband does for a living? I am wondering why, as she describes in a recent post, they have to choose between shoes for the children or groceries.

I don't think she has a vow of chastity per se.

Before she join the order she'd have to pay off all those pesky debts also.

She's a lay Carmelite. So she's part of the Carmelite order, but not a sister (vowed religious with an active ministry such as teaching or nursing), or a nun (a vowed religious who prays for the needs of the church and the world and has no active ministry outside the monastery).

Lay members (used to be called "Third Order") of communities do not take the religious vows of poverty, chastity and obedience, can marry and have children, will have secular jobs (although they may also have some sort of voluntary ministry in the church as well, such as catechism classes).

As a lay Carmelite, her debts are her own affair - the church has no call on her income beyond the usual donations which charity demands, and there is no requirement that you be debt-free before you enter. With vowed religious, there is a risk that the community can be pursued for your debts, particularly if you are an active sister who is paid a salary, and there's those pesky words of Jesus about paying to Caesar that which is Caesar's, which is generally taken as an instruction to make sure that your secular commitments are fulfilled before you enter a religious community.

As a Lay Carmelite, she is called, like all Catholics, to chastity outside of marriage and continence within it. If she were unmarried, she would be able to date, but no sex. As she is married, she is not called to chastity, but she must remain faithful to her husband and follow the teachings of the church with regard to marital relations.

Thanks for that explanation. So can anyone call herself a lay Carmelite or do you have to get some kind of official blessing? This woman is such a fucknut I can't imagine that any group would want her associating with them.

Does anyone know what her husband does for a living? I am wondering why, as she describes in a recent post, they have to choose between shoes for the children or groceries.

I've been looking through the blog to find out what he does. In one of her her recent postings, she mentioned that he went to grad school in 2001.

Thanks for that explanation. So can anyone call herself a lay Carmelite or do you have to get some kind of official blessing? This woman is such a fucknut I can't imagine that any group would want her associating with them.

I'm a lay Dominican (but I hope I'm not a fucknut). Our formation process is a year's novitiate, 3 years temporarily professed, then final promises. You are required to be a member of a particular group of Lay Carmelites, attend their monthly meetings, and your promises are made in Church and received by someone (usually either a priest or a nun), on behalf of the head of the order. Those details then go off to (a) the provincial archives and (b) the head office of the order. If I were to waltz into my local parish church going "oooh look at me I'm a Lay Dominican," and signing up for everything in sight, I would expect the parish priest to check I was who I said I was, as a minimum.

I would imagine that her formation process would be similar. There are requirements like daily Mass, the rosary, reciting certain parts of the Divine Office (daily prayer said at certain times of day). I obviously can't speak for her community, but we do not live with our members 24 hours a day and so if she keeps her tics under control during the monthly meeting, they may not have picked up her issues.

Guest Anonymous

I will never understand why some people brag about not taking care of their children. It's not cute, it's not funny.

She could get a freaking job, she could ask for some help. Those poor kids deserve decent shoes to wear AND enough nutritious food to eat. Poor babies. :(

I will never understand why some people brag about not taking care of their children. It's not cute, it's not funny.

She could get a freaking job, she could ask for some help. Those poor kids deserve decent shoes to wear AND enough nutritious food to eat. Poor babies. :(

Our formation officer was really strict on not making your family suffer for your religious calling. So you couldn't blow the kids off with "no shoes for you, I gave all my money to the nuns." You buy the kids food and shoes and pay the rent, and then, if there's anything left over, you donate to charity. But your family comes first, always.

Whoa. I always hesitate to comment on bloggers because even if they seem freaky, most seem to have really good intentions and not be harming their kids. But this woman worries me. SERIOUSLY. She needs intervention help. Yes she seems sincere and is following what she feels is a genuine path - but her kids are not the better for it. I assume they get enough to eat, and of course I don't know her, I don't want to make rash judgements, but something just seems disturbingly wrong here. And of course what I am saying has nothing to do with her loving Jesus because we see zillions of bloggers who are and whatever concerns some may have, the kids at least seem good.

But...yikes, I mean...it's like she sees poverty as a GOOD thing. She even says so. The one about buying shoes:

Finally, we found a pair of moccassins at Bon Ton. Hannah said "I love these." I said "it's funny you picked those because the first Native American, Kateri Tekatwithe, is about to become a Saint this Fall. You can wore those shoes and think about her!"

So shoes. I'm a Discalsced Carmelite. I wear flip flops, and old black Tevas most days. These are my "rope sandals." My four girls are never going to have many pairs of shoes in their closet. since every pair directly comes out of the family's grocery money. In addition, I hate shopping in general and shoe shopping is the worse. But sometimes, after much pain and agony, a new Saint will unexpectedly bring a truce to the Mother/Daughter shoe wars. For that I'm profoundly grateful to be poor and extra beloved as a Child of God.

And just on a side note, what is this about, in her main 9/11 post - she mentions that she worked with poor people in some kind of legal way:

It's hard to even remember how mired my vocation was in sin, but I was totally blocked about having children.

wth? It sounds like her work was helping poor people? I guess it's just that - no matter what the reasons were that Catholic nuns were suppose to be celibate, maybe a BIG reason was that they woudn't have children who would come AFTER Jesus.

Just worried about this family. And I'm not just casually knocking on her, I really don't like to do that. Am catching up in this thread now so maybe some have said similar things - am reading this while doing evening chores.

I think by 'vocation' she's talking about her marriage. I think. I'd guess she thought it was mired in sin because she wasn't yet open to having a zillion children and being a submissive stay-at-home wife. This was the first thread about her:

http://freejinger.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12201

She's actually written several times about screwing up the grocery budget, and once posted a bunch of pictures of an empty fridge and empty cupboards. So yeah, there are some issues there.

I think by 'vocation' she's talking about her marriage. I think. I'd guess she thought it was mired in sin because she wasn't yet open to having a zillion children and being a submissive stay-at-home wife. This was the first thread about her:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12201

She's actually written several times about screwing up the grocery budget, and once posted a bunch of pictures of an empty fridge and empty cupboards. So yeah, there are some issues there.

:( Thanks.

http://freejinger.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12201

She did have an actual job, though. In her "How I Became Prolife" post, she talks about going to law school and helping her friend get an abortion.

Was she actually living in a Ukrainian orphanage, or is she calling herself an orphan for being in daycare? Also, what's this "not throwing up yet from chemo?"

I was wondering this one myself... I assume she's just being over the top again?

Archived