IGNORED

Anna T's tireless fight against exhausation

YPestis

Well, my issue is NOT with Anna T's possible medical condition, it's that she treats her (possible) low energy issue like it's normal for women to feel exhausted from attending college or working a fulltime job.

Yep. Me, too. I *definitely* don't fit this model; in fact, I have to make sure I get in enough cardio exercise in a week so my energy has an outlet and doesn't get pent up (pent-up energy is no fun and it makes you act strange). She may feel it's selfish to pursue those types of interests at the "expense" of your family, but, believe me, if I haven't had time to get my regular exercise, I'll feel like I'm jumping out of my skin and will be snappish and tense - and THAT is no good for your family, either. So we can live with a little clutter if it means I've had a nice work-out or walk. I know I have "extra" energy, but I'd never presume that this was because I'm a woman and to dictate that all other women be just like me. (though I have to confess to sometimes judging Anna T as lazy or overly focused on her family - can you say enmeshed? - and that's just not fair, any more than her judging me)

She never said why they wouldn't be having more babies and so I do wonder if her health is the reason.

Her relationship with her mother seems strained. :( I know what that feels like and it's harder when you're young than it is when you're in your late 30's and 40's. It's sad and I'm sorry her mother doesn't seem supportive (you can disagree and still be supportive).

I just read her actual post on her former and current schedules.

Hey, if it works for her and her low energy level, great, but the over-generalization makes me shake my head.

Let's see: She has a bus ride for an hour, during which she can do what she wants. She gets to campus 45 min. early, and can do what she wants. She has a long afternoon break. She does have a night class, but only a couple times a week, and she gets home by 9:30 p.m. I'm not seeing the cause for exhaustion here.

She also must be blessed with kids who are as low-energy as she is. They seem to sleep at night, and be content to sit and color during the day. I remember my shock, as a new mom, to discover that I could not sleep for more than 2 hours, ever. My baby needed to be fed the moment she got hungry or she'd scream, and after each feed she'd spit up half. She hated her crib. She hated the air in the apartment. Every night, in between feeds, I had to pace the halls near the elevator while bouncing up and down. I would do this between 1 and 5 a.m., while hating people who were allowed to sleep. My husband would wake up for work at 6, and I'd greet him by threatening death if he woke the baby. By 7 I was up again, doing laundry, changing crib sheets, and rarely getting a chance to actually sit down unless I was nursing. I'm not sure how Anna could have ever coped with a higher-needs baby.

Archived