MyNameIsJonas

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is what I'm wearing right now on my nails, China Glaze Sexy in the City

tumblr_l6lylnZK061qb0i4ro1_500.jpg

I really want to try For Audrey

audrey03.jpg

Purrty. I'm jelly of long nails, 'cause when I try to grow out my nails, they either chip or hurt. :(

The meaning of words change over time. How old is the dictionary?

These are from online dictionaries so I doubt they are "old" or "out of date" since they are updated all the time.

Cambridge (British English)

the belief that people's qualities are influenced by their race and that the members of other races are not as good as the members of your own, or the resulting unfair treatment of members of other races

Cambridge (American English)

the belief that some races are better than others, or the unfair treatment of someone because of his or her race

Oxford Dictionary

• the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

• prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior: a program to combat racism

Merriam Webster

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2: racial prejudice or discrimination

Collins

the belief that races have distinctive cultural characteristics determined by hereditary factors and that this endows some races with an intrinsic superiority over others

abusive or aggressive behaviour towards members of another race on the basis of such a belief

Gee, there's nothing in ANY of those definitions that limits it to white people or stating it has to do with oppression or power. But hey, I guess you bitches are just all so much smarter and better informed than any dictionary in the world.

These are from online dictionaries so I doubt they are "old" or "out of date" since they are updated all the time.

the belief that people's qualities are influenced by their race and that the members of other races are not as good as the members of your own, or the resulting unfair treatment of members of other races

the belief that some races are better than others, or the unfair treatment of someone because of his or her race

Oxford Dictionary

• the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

• prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior: a program to combat racism

Merriam Webster

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Collins

the belief that races have distinctive cultural characteristics determined by hereditary factors and that this endows some races with an intrinsic superiority over others

abusive or aggressive behaviour towards members of another race on the basis of such a belief

Gee, there's nothing in ANY of those definitions that limits it to white people or stating it has to do with oppression or power. But hey, I guess you bitches are just all so much smarter and better informed than any dictionary in the world.

Like I said, take a soc101 course, you old-fashioned bitch.

Oh, no. They'll probably try to upsell you to a gel Shellac. Goes on your real nails and lasts a long time, but can be a bugger to get off on your own. You need pure acetone to strip it off.

Actually, you can peel off gel polish, once it's grown out a bit and there's the little gap at the bottom. But be warned that doing so leaves your nails looking fairly rough. I peeled the stuff off my toes the one time I had it done.

Purrty. I'm jelly of long nails, 'cause when I try to grow out my nails, they either chip or hurt. :(

For Audrey is so pretty! It might be a little too light for my skin though.

For Audrey is so pretty! It might be a little too light for my skin though.

My skin is Anne Hathaway pale, so it's hard to find any colors for it, and I always choose the almost lightest pink. Does anybody here have any suggestions? ;) Btw, MyNameisJonas, what's your favorite color to paint your nails? :D

Guess I don't see what is funny. Prior to my marriage I dated several black men and if I were single now I wouldn't have a problem dating men of any race.

You don't prove you are anti-racism by dating a black man anymore than a man proves he's anti-sexism simply by dating women.

(snip)

Oxford Dictionary

Merriam Webster

Collins

Uhm, all these definitions come with an inherent power-imbalance. Establishing superiority/inferiority? The concept of "race" is used to establish or deprive power. White people are in power. They're at the top of the racial hierarchy. No single Hawaiian schoolgirl beating another up, and calling her names, is going to unsettle the distribution of power.

Or in other words: What MynameisJonas already pointed out much more eloquently.

My skin is Anne Hatheway pale, so it's hard to find any colors for it, and I always choose the almost lightest pink. Does anybody here have any suggestions? ;) Btw, MyNameisJonas, what's you favorite color to paint your nails? :D

Right now I'm wearing Zoya nail polish in "America. It's a really vibrant, classic red. I think I'm going to switch to "I'm Wired" by OPI next.

[attachment=0]america.jpg[/attachment]

samurai_sarah, I think she's purposly ignoring MyNameisJonas, you, emmiedahl, and I.

I think so too. Oh well, at least her dictionary citations, and smug assertion that they say nothing about power whatsoever, amused me. :lol:

It happens the other way around too with the New Black Panthers intimidating voters in Nov 2008 and calling for the killing of white babies. Racism goes both ways although most people prefer to always see the white people as the only ones who are racist.

What exactly is the point of bringing this up in this thread?

Don't you see, formergothardite? She wants to she everybody how oppressed she is as a white Christian. :cry: :auto-ambulance: :auto-ambulance: :auto-ambulance: :lol: ;)

If you get your hubby to go, let me know what trick you used. I would love for mine to get a pedi, but so far, he's a no-go, too. He's afraid they'll make fun of his feet, which are pretty ugly, but I tell him, "Honey, they've seen it all!"

Mr. StarrieEyedKat LOVES getting pedis, and his feet are huge and ticklish and rough around the edges. When we do dinner I'll have him talk it up to Mr. Austin.

They'll probably try to upsell you to a gel Shellac. Goes on your real nails and lasts a long time, but can be a bugger to get off on your own. You need pure acetone to strip it off.

My nail salon taught me this great tip for stripping off gel shellac (do this one hand at a time): Saturate a cotton pad in acetone nail polish remover. Wrap it around the gel-shellacked nail, then wrap the fingertip firmly with a bit of aluminum foil. Hang out for awhile (read or watch TV or go online), and the acetone will soften the gel and make it easier to scrape off. Once all the gel is off, paint the ratty-looking nail with a strengthening base coat.

I have thin nails, so I just usually slap coats of regular polish over my nails when a gel starts to grow out, and avoid the acetone maneuver until I absolutely have to do it.

Mr. StarrieEyedKat LOVES getting pedis, and his feet are huge and ticklish and rough around the edges. When we do dinner I'll have him talk it up to Mr. Austin.

Sounds like a good plan! :D

What exactly is the point of bringing this up in this thread?

I asked her that earlier and basically she said it had something to do with the hive not being worked up enough over the Black Panthers.

Or something. . .

Attention

Must be because bringing up what three people did in 2008 doesn't relate at all to this thread.

It happens the other way around too with the New Black Panthers intimidating voters in Nov 2008 and calling for the killing of white babies. Racism goes both ways although most people prefer to always see the white people as the only ones who are racist.

While I agree with your last sentence, in that it is true that all races can be racists, your first sentence is based on innuendoes and urban legends, aka not true. :liar:

Do you believe that President Obama was born in Kenya? He was not; he's born in Hawaii, btw. That NBP hassling whites at voting polls and shouts for white babies' murders are crazy false memes that are sadly believed by a big part of the population.

Same here, I've never been able to grow out my nails as they chip or split to the point where it's painful. Right now, I have Essie's Turquoise and Caicos on my fingernails. I have Sally Hansen's Xtreme Wear in Pacific Blue on my toenails. I'm really looking forward to the Ulta that is opening soon near me.

samurai_sarah, I think she's purposly ignoring MyNameisJonas, you, emmiedahl, and I.

That's pretty much her MO, regardless of the topic. Once she gets too deep into an argument, she'll start responding only to the questions/comments that ask for a basic piece of information, preferably something she can quote or link. Once they begin using too many big words or complex concepts she starts ignoring them. Perhaps she was also educated at the SOTDRT; she'd make a really good fundie :?

Archived