IGNORED

Family Mikvah?

fundiefun

http://www.ourwholeheartedfamilydotcom/blog/?p=3404

Our family participated in a private mikvah (immersion) together at the lake where we camped for Shavuot. It was very beautiful, intimate and special time for each of us.

This is your standard faux jew blog and I was wondering if any of FJ's Jewish members would know this answer to this is family immersion a common thing for whole families since I was under the impression that it was done alone and not in the presence of others. I can't imagine being naked with everyone in my family to go take a dip in a lake together holy or not.

http://www.ourwholeheartedfamilydotcom/blog/?p=3404

Our family participated in a private mikvah (immersion) together at the lake where we camped for Shavuot. It was very beautiful, intimate and special time for each of us.

This is your standard faux jew blog and I was wondering if any of FJ's Jewish members would know this answer to this is family immersion a common thing for whole families since I was under the impression that it was done alone and not in the presence of others. I can't imagine being naked with everyone in my family to go take a dip in a lake together holy or not.

In standard Judaism, you are naked during immersion and it is NEVER done with men and women together.

There is a custom that some follow of men and boys immersing, and the men's mikvah allows more than one person at a time.

For women, though, unmarried females don't immerse (with the exception of someone who is doing it as part of the conversion process). The women's mikvah takes privacy quite seriously - it's strictly one woman at a time. There is an attendant, but they make some efforts to be discreet. They'll check hands and feet for dirt while you are wearing a robe. They then stand behind you as you take off the robe and hold it up in front of them as you go into the water, and they don't lower it until you tell them that you are all the way in. When you come out, they again hold the robe up in front of them.

Reading that blog, I'm wondering if they bothered with the getting naked part. I've seen Christians do full-body baptisms in the Jordan river, and maybe they think they are doing something similar.

Archived