IGNORED

Gabby Douglas & Jesus

0 kids n not countin

Is the training something most single moms can afford? In a word, no. Much less a single mom on disability with other children. An elite program is hundreds a month, plus privates, plus apparel, plus event registration, plus travel, etc.

Yup. If Gabby's mother is on disability and is single, they almost certainly had a scholarship for all of that training.

One of my daughters is on a gymnastics competition team. She's not at the elite level, even, and it's still expensive. Competition leotards *start* at about $50. A warm up suit is $100. My daughter also needs trampoline shoes, which are $20 a pair (or more) and she needs an average of 4 pairs per year. Wrist guards for vaulting or tumbling and practice leotards are also extra cash.

The competition fees are just the start on those, too. There are also coaching fees and entry fees for any non-gymnasts that just go to watch. I can't very well send my 10-year-old on her own to an event 4 hours away, but there's a fee for the privilege of supervising my minor child at the competitions. Oy.

When she was invited to join the competition team, the first thing the coach told me is that it is expensive, and only gets more expensive as she progresses. Even with the heads-up, there are still times when I go "daaaaamn" at the expense of it all.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how much of the "me, me, me" stems from being at an elite level very young and constantly being told you're the best mixed with the fact that yes there is a team gold but gymnastics in nature is not a team sport. If you can't do the routine there is no one there to carry you. By nature its very individualized and super competitive.

I wonder how much of the "me, me, me" stems from being at an elite level very young and constantly being told you're the best mixed with the fact that yes there is a team gold but gymnastics in nature is not a team sport. If you can't do the routine there is no one there to carry you. By nature its very individualized and super competitive.

I absolutely believe the young gymnasts are influenced by the elite environment they are in. These kids (yes, many are just kids) are extremely talented but are amongst a rarefied breed of people. The prodigies will carry some arrogance because they are good, and they are insensitive maybe as a coping mechanism for the stress they're under. I think all elite athletes carry some of these traits with them, but some are just better at saying nice things on camera than others. Off-camera, I'm sure most elite athletes share the same 'get over it, what's my next game' attitude.

I haven't been paying too much attention to the Olympics so I haven't noticed any TV missteps that Gabby may have taken. However, I don't feel like snarking on her because she's living an anonymous life prior to becoming suddenly famous.

If any of us woke up with cameras aimed at us, I bet many would eventually say something stupid or have something come off as offensive/rude/insensitive. Even on public forums, think how easily our writings get misinterpreted. Just this thread, I've noted a few postings which I thought mean-spirited and rude. Maybe the writer didn't intend for it to come off that way but someone will still take it as that. Think how much harder it is to say something on the spot and have it watched and digested by millions. What are the chances that someone will find it offensive in some way? I think your average 16 year old, with no professional coaching, will inevitably find themselves with foot in mouth disease when allowed to do on the spot interviews. That's why many celebrities end up with publicists. Maybe that will solve the Gabby dilemma. ;)

Conservapedia approves of Gabby:

Homeschooled Gabby Douglas -- nicknamed the "flying squirrel" -- soars to her second spectacular Olympic gold medal by trouncing the former communists at their own game: gymnastics. *

but doesn't like Missy Franklin:

The lamestream media conceal how the early hero of the Olympics -- Missy Franklin -- attends Catholic high school -- almost none of more than a thousand news articles about her success includes that fact. **

*to be homeschooled, one should be at home. Gabby's 1000+ miles away from home.

** because Catholics don't or shouldn't know how to swim?

http://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page

I'm surprised they didn't mention that Missy is an only child, which, as we all know, is a huge moral failing. :roll:

Ugh. Ryan Lochte is just as bad as Gabby Douglas. Another one with an attitude problem is Usain Bolt. He's amazing, but annoys the hell out of me. Interesting enough, the one you would think would have the biggest head at the Olympics, Michael Phelps, is incredibly humble. I've always enjoyed his interviews.

Having attended school with Phelps when he was Gabby's age I did not find him humble. He may (hopefully) have matured since then but I think for most teenage Olympian the whole thing goes to their heads.

I'm surprised they didn't mention that Missy is an only child, which, as we all know, is a huge moral failing. :roll:

Aren't most elite athletes home schooled? I mean, I know a guy who was Olympic material (till he blew out his knee vaulting) and after 2 years of being "elite" his parents pulled him and home schooled him because he wouldn't have advanced with us otherwise. He was too far behind from being in the gym too often. I just assumed that his parents did what most elite athletes parents do so their children can focus on their craft. (After he blew his knee and his doctors basically told him he would never be the same in the gym again, he reentered school with us and as far as I know he graduated on time. Not important to the story, but it's 430am and I haven't slept and felt like finishing my story, so there!)

Archived