IGNORED

Gabby Douglas & Jesus

0 kids n not countin

Guest Anonymous

I read that too.

How's that "I follow the Bible when it says gay people are gross, but I don't follow it when it might inconvenience me" thing working out for you in this thread?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not thrilled at Gabby Douglas attributing her win to God, but I'm not surprised. I can't harp on her for it. She barely received any msm coverage that wasn't racist, sexist, or classist and was rarely given the credit she deserved. Then people turned around to comment on her mother being single, her dad being 'absent' (even though he is in the military) her hair, and her resemblance to a freaking squirrel. After all that, I would be a bit of a brat too.

I'm not thrilled at Gabby Douglas attributing her win to God, but I'm not surprised. I can't harp on her for it. She barely received any msm coverage that wasn't racist, sexist, or classist and was rarely given the credit she deserved. Then people turned around to comment on her mother being single, her dad being 'absent' (even though he is in the military) her hair, and her resemblance to a freaking squirrel. After all that, I would be a bit of a brat too.

What!? Someone said she looked like a squirrel? What an asshole thing to say.

What!? Someone said she looked like a squirrel? What an asshole thing to say.

Yeah, they were calling her "The Flying Squirrel"

These very young women have to be extremely mentally tough to perform those routines, and manage the stress of this level of competition. It does not surprise me that they may come off as insensitive or cold toward one another. Someone who has the guts to perform 2 backward flips on a balance beam, followed by a few other tumbling maneuvers in the air before landing on their feet 4 feet below the beam is just in a different category than the average person.

At her age, I'm more likely to roll my eyes, but generally let it go. I thought I had all the answers at 16, too. With the sudden influx of fame she's received, I can see how it could go to a teenager's head. The next few years will probably bring a lot of changes for her. If she chooses to stick with gymnastics and work towards Rio, she'll find herself facing the additional pressure that comes with high expectations. And even though she'll be, what, 20 if she competes in 2016, she'll almost certainly be one of the older competitors in a sport that prizes youth. And there's always the threat of injury--a strain or broken bone at the wrong time could end her career in a second.

Then again, maybe she'll head to college or take another path. All of those life decisions have their own experiences, and she'll probably grow/change a lot regardless of where she goes. She may be a brat (I honestly haven't paid that much attention to gymnastics), but a lot of kids are brats when they're teenagers--I know I was--and they come out of it OK on the other end.

Yeah, they were calling her "The Flying Squirrel"

That's a nickname her coach(es) gave her because of the release moves she does on the uneven parallel bars. She lets go of the bar, flies up in the air, then catches the bar again and continues flip-flopping/swinging on the bars. She does this much better than most.

Do we know for a fact that Gaby was aware he teammate was crying behind her? (real question) I wonder if she had been called over for the interview immediately following the qualification announcement (isn't that how it is normally done?) and not seen anyone but camera crew for last ##minutes. I mean did she look over her shoulder at her crying and then back at the camera and say that? A teenage girl who has nothing to be bitter about saying "suck it up" about a crying girl just seems over the top, part of why I am questioning whether she had seen the crying.

Gabby is not an idiot. She knew exactly what was going on. She knew Jordyn had not qualified for the all-around and she knew that would be upsetting (after all, how would she have felt if she hadn't qualified?). She said what she said because she had no compassion for a crushed teammate. That, coupled with her quote about God's blessings falling down on her, and you can see a very arrogant teenager. Maybe it's just because she is young and silly as most teens tend to be. However, it's not Christian and it certainly doesn't glorify God. If you're going to wax poetic about your religious beliefs, then it's wise to act like they matter and live your life accordingly. Otherwise, people scoff.

That's a nickname her coach(es) gave her because of the release moves she does on the uneven parallel bars. She lets go of the bar, flies up in the air, then catches the bar again and continues flip-flopping/swinging on the bars. She does this much better than most.

I was wondering if it was because of the marvelous height that she achieves on the uneven bars. She does not look like a squirrel in anyway so I hope no one would mean it in a negative manner.

there's more to the story than them not paying bills.... her mom says she was on scholarship which is entirely possible, and that the former gym made the accusations after she started getting national recognition. i think it's "bratty" of the former coaches to talk to the media in the first place about it.

Well, that's what her mom says, but the gym says differently. Why should I believe Gabby's mom over the owners of the business? Maybe she's pulling shit out of her ass in an effort to evade a huge debt she cannot pay. Unless there was a contract signed with regard to a scholarship, then she owes that money and the gym has every right to come after Gabby's winnings to get their payment. If there was a contract, then the gym is wrong in making the accusations. However, I'm not going to just believe someone because they happen to be the parent of a gold medalist.

I was wondering if it was because of the marvelous height that she achieves on the uneven bars. She does not look like a squirrel in anyway so I hope no one would mean it in a negative manner.

I believe she got the nickname because she flies between the bars like a flying squirrel flies between branches. She knows about the nickname and has even commented on it in interviews. She doesn't seem at all put off or upset by it, so I don't think it was meant to offend and I don't think she took as an offense.

Well, that's what her mom says, but the gym says differently. Why should I believe Gabby's mom over the owners of the business? Maybe she's pulling shit out of her ass in an effort to evade a huge debt she cannot pay. Unless there was a contract signed with regard to a scholarship, then she owes that money and the gym has every right to come after Gabby's winnings to get their payment. If there was a contract, then the gym is wrong in making the accusations. However, I'm not going to just believe someone because they happen to be the parent of a gold medalist.

So you'll just believe the business instead? Perhaps the business is just trying to cash in now that Gabby has made a name for herself. Maybe the business is just greedy and wants to get a piece of the pie. I find it interesting that it sounds as though the gym has made no effort to collect the money they claim she owes and it doesn't come out until after she makes it to the Olympics. The timing seems a little fishy to me.

Gabby is not an idiot. She knew exactly what was going on. She knew Jordyn had not qualified for the all-around and she knew that would be upsetting (after all, how would she have felt if she hadn't qualified?). She said what she said because she had no compassion for a crushed teammate. That, coupled with her quote about God's blessings falling down on her, and you can see a very arrogant teenager. Maybe it's just because she is young and silly as most teens tend to be. However, it's not Christian and it certainly doesn't glorify God. If you're going to wax poetic about your religious beliefs, then it's wise to act like they matter and live your life accordingly. Otherwise, people scoff.

I disagree. I do think Gabby was overscored and made A LOT of mistakes but from the the moment Jordyn was disqualified, it became the Jordyn Wieber show. I've been watching the NBC coverage so maybe it's just me, but they set a negative tone for Gabby from the get-go. They hardly gave her credit where it was due. It's the subtlety in the way they covered Gabby that doesn't make me feel as bad for Jordyn and doesn't make me blame Gabby for not feeling bad.

Thanks for clarifying

Not to mention the fact that we're talking about sports and everything about sports is highly competitive. If I had to work and train and spend so much time in the gym trying to make it to the Olympics and have any sort of a chance at a medal, I wouldn't necessarily feel bad for those who didn't win either. It's the very nature of competitive sports and if an athlete can't handle losing then maybe they should reconsider even being involved in the sport in the first place.

How's that "I follow the Bible when it says gay people are gross, but I don't follow it when it might inconvenience me" thing working out for you in this thread?

Unless there is paperwork that backs up her Mom's claim that she was in scholarship, the old gym needs to be paid. Nothing in this life is free.

So you'll just believe the business instead? Perhaps the business is just trying to cash in now that Gabby has made a name for herself. Maybe the business is just greedy and wants to get a piece of the pie. I find it interesting that it sounds as though the gym has made no effort to collect the money they claim she owes and it doesn't come out until after she makes it to the Olympics. The timing seems a little fishy to me.

They didn't wait for the Olympics to make these accusations. They came out and talked about it clear back when Gabby left their gym. It's been well known in gymnastics circles for a while now. As for believing the business, Gabby's mom has not given me any reason not to believe them. If she was truly on scholarship and there was a contract signed, then why hasn't the mom mentioned the contract? Why hasn't she given proof that she doesn't owe the money? Something fishy is going on and since Gabby's family cannot prove their claim, I don't believe they have one. And maybe the gym hasn't made an effort to collect because there's no money to get. If the family is truly poor, then why would the gym spends thousands of dollars they most likely don't have on lawyers to win a claim that will never be paid?

Guest Anonymous
Unless there is paperwork that backs up her Mom's claim that she was in scholarship, the old gym needs to be paid. Nothing in this life is free.

Nothing but salvation and the love of Jesus ... provided that we follow a few more rules hand-chosen by you. :roll:

I disagree. I do think Gabby was overscored and made A LOT of mistakes but from the the moment Jordyn was disqualified, it became the Jordyn Wieber show. I've been watching the NBC coverage so maybe it's just me, but they set a negative tone for Gabby from the get-go. They hardly gave her credit where it was due. It's the subtlety in the way they covered Gabby that doesn't make me feel as bad for Jordyn and doesn't make me blame Gabby for not feeling bad.

Except that Gabby is competing in the Olympics and most likely has not seen NBC's coverage at all. They've interviewed the hell out of Gabby since she arrived at the Olympics. Hell, Aly made the all-around final and they haven't once interviewed her. Gabby had P&G commercials made about her. NBC visited her homes in both Iowa and Virginia Beach. They've interviewed her family members and the family members of her host family. I know more about Gabby's life then Jordyn's life. I don't see how the media has ignored her. If anyone was ignored, it was Aly. Gabby's gotten plenty of attention and maybe that's the issue. Maybe all the attention has gone to her head and that's why we see the arrogant attitude.

I'm sure the gym will go after them now, regardless of the lawyer fees because they have the opportunity to cash in on Gabby's success. Reading the comments made by the previous gym's owner it sounds more like "boo hoo, she went with a great gym and coach actually made it to the Olympics and now we don't get to be in the limelight."

I may be biased because I think Gabby is adorable -- but she strikes me as just generally having faith, and even if she brings it up a lot, that's obviously something that helps her. She acts like a sixteen-year-old, imo -- a little bit self-centered, a little bit too certain that she knows everything -- but considering that she IS sixteen, I can't quite begrudge her that.

They didn't wait for the Olympics to make these accusations. They came out and talked about it clear back when Gabby left their gym. It's been well known in gymnastics circles for a while now. As for believing the business, Gabby's mom has not given me any reason not to believe them. If she was truly on scholarship and there was a contract signed, then why hasn't the mom mentioned the contract? Why hasn't she given proof that she doesn't owe the money? Something fishy is going on and since Gabby's family cannot prove their claim, I don't believe they have one. And maybe the gym hasn't made an effort to collect because there's no money to get. If the family is truly poor, then why would the gym spends thousands of dollars they most likely don't have on lawyers to win a claim that will never be paid?

I read an article (don't know how legit it is) that her mother filed for bankruptcy before the Olympics. If Gabby ends up getting endorsement deals I can see them paying their debts back.

Nothing but salvation and the love of Jesus ... provided that we follow a few more rules hand-chosen by you. :roll:

I actually agree with scarygirl on this one (scary, I know!). If you take services from someone, then you owe payment for those services. I hate to see a child's talent go to waste, but if you can't afford training, then you either secure sponsorship for her or you tell her that you can't afford the training and she won't be able to continue. You can't expect a business to just hand out their services for free. They have to pay rent/mortgage, pay staff, pay utilities, pay taxes, etc. We have chosen to live in a capitalist society where the government does not support athletes. Therefore, some very talented and skilled people will not be able to attain their dreams. That's the price we pay for our economic philosophies.

Guest Anonymous

I actually agree with scarygirl on this one (scary, I know!). If you take services from someone, then you owe payment for those services. I hate to see a child's talent go to waste, but if you can't afford training, then you either secure sponsorship for her or you tell her that you can't afford the training and she won't be able to continue. You can't expect a business to just hand out their services for free. They have to pay rent/mortgage, pay staff, pay utilities, pay taxes, etc. We have chosen to live in a capitalist society where the government does not support athletes. Therefore, some very talented and skilled people will not be able to attain their dreams. That's the price we pay for our economic philosophies.

Feel free, Childless. Even a stopped clock, and all that. ;)

It just bugs me when someone spews bigotry and shits the carpet on one thread and then posts on others as if butter wouldn't melt in their mouth.

I'm sure the gym will go after them now, regardless of the lawyer fees because they have the opportunity to cash in on Gabby's success. Reading the comments made by the previous gym's owner it sounds more like "boo hoo, she went with a great gym and coach actually made it to the Olympics and now we don't get to be in the limelight."

I'm not arguing that the gym owner wasn't irritated that he didn't get the limelight. He may very well feel that way. But, that does not excuse Gabby's parents. They owed for services rendered and the gym deserves to be paid. I would hope that when Gabby's winnings start rolling in that they would do the right thing and pay their debts.

Archived