IGNORED

My favorite Food Conference quote

Love

I think Love can give you insight, but even among the granola Christian farmers (small not corporate) here preaching over the compost is not very acceptable. My seed guy had some dealings with him and he pulled out as a supplier many years ago because of Joe's religiosity. He also confronted Joe about his practice of unpaid interns.

I'll have to ask some coworkers their thoughts on Joel. We have hosted many conferences and had the likes of Vandana Shiva and Michael Pollan as our keynote speakers, but Joel has never been invited.

Fundies and organics go way back, in fact, it was my job that got me obsessed with fundies in the first place.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
God, Doug's helpmeet needs to hide some of his wardrobe. He looks like he's from frickin Fantasy Island.

:lol: :lol: :greetings-clappingorange::greetings-clappingyellow::greetings-clappingorange:

On a gluttonous note, that pie looks delicious. Mmmmm pie... ALRGLALHRGLALLL

:lol: :lol: :greetings-clappingorange::greetings-clappingyellow::greetings-clappingorange:

On a gluttonous note, that pie looks delicious. Mmmmm pie... ALRGLALHRGLALLL

I'll take a slice too, but not the one Dougie's holding. Peter Bradrick Lord only knows where his hands have been.

Perhaps VF should have a Fashion Conference next. That's more up Doug's alley.

Why is gluttony such a big screaming deal all of a sudden? Is it because it's a waste of food when there are people going to bed hungry across the world, or is it because it makes the helpmeets not pretty for the headships anymore? I'm leaning towards the latter.

They can also blame the helpmate for them being obese instead of placing the blame on themselves and their poor eating choices.

They can also blame the helpmate for them being obese instead of placing the blame on themselves and their poor eating choices.

Ding, Ding, Ding!!! We have a winner!

I've heard enough railing from fundie men and, well, non-fundie asshole men, about how women getting fat is bad & gross. But with the skyrocketing obesity rates overall, the men now need an excuse.

Sometimes I've wondered, with all the crap food 'recipes' that's posted, if most fundies who are skinny are that way due to lack of food? I mean, tater tot casserole is horrific calorie/fat/etc wise, but splitting that up with 21 people, the portion sizes must be tiny.

5 body parts? is that a biblical reference? or just plain crazy? or a biblical reference that is also crazy?

In medieval lit, that would totally be a biblical reference to the five wounds of Christ (2 hands, 2 feet, 1 side). But I don't think of contemporary protestants as being that focused on the, uh, visceral details.

kma37.jpg

I don't think anyone is even going to try and top that one. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Edited: because I screwed up

It is high time the Church of Jesus Christ addressed the sin of gluttony. No longer should it be the overlooked sin among American Christians. Gorging on third and fourth helpings of fried chicken and banana cream pie at the church pot luck will become a thing of the past if we obey the clear teaching of Scripture which prohibits gluttony.

1) Adam McManus seems to be suffering from the sin of gluttony and pride. I think someone needs to remind him that he should remove the log out of his own eye before removing the speck out of his neighbors eye.

2) I think he is very confused about the LDS church potlucks. There is no gorging on third of forth helpings at most LDS church functions. There are usually enough people there to keep the servings down to one per person. Also, mormons eat funeral potatoes and green jello with carrots in it at their potlucks. I think he is confusing on of the ATI potlucks for an LDS potluck.

Most mormon families I grew up with in Utah grew a vegetable garden and canned and froze the produce. They promote having a food store that will last at least a year. They even teach their members how to can the produce and properly store other items like flour. They promote self sufficiency in a way that I admire. They have meat packing plants, flour mills and canning plants. Struggling church members and community members can get these items at the what is called the bishops store house (ie food bank). They do ask people to volunteer if they receive help. My brother in law usually helps stock shelves and my sister helps clean the church (no, I am not a mormon).

I didn't think or realize that he was addressing LDS potlucks. I think he was talking church potlucks in general.

I didn't think or realize that he was addressing LDS potlucks. I think he was talking church potlucks in general.

I may have jumped to conclusions. Every time I see the Church of Christ I almost aways start to finish it off with of Latter Day Saints. I grew up in Utah and that was the only church of christ I saw.

I may have jumped to conclusions. Every time I see the Church of Christ I almost aways start to finish it off with of Latter Day Saints. I grew up in Utah and that was the only church of christ I saw.

There actually is a denomination called "Church of Christ" but it's often just used as a generic, fancy way to say "Christian Church."

There actually is a denomination called "Church of Christ" but it's often just used as a generic, fancy way to say "Christian Church."

:-? I see... Are they related to non denominational churches or is that a whole different group of churches?

God, Doug's helpmeet needs to hide some of his wardrobe. He looks like he's from frickin Fantasy Island.

original.jpg

Da plane! Da plane! Douggie's coming for his ultimate glutton fudge fantasy!

and wonderful photo from the conference:

visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2012/07/10313/

C01D0606.jpg

oooh fire... prettyyyyy...

C01D0611.jpg

Funny isn't it? And Michelle is the only one with a rat's nest hair don't.

All the crazy blogging going on over at Doug's Blog over the last few days has been really entertaining for me.

My favorite quote is:

Joel Salatin, a Christian farmer says.... “People who have been fertilizing their gardens with compost instead of fertilizer are closer to the truth despite their peace symbols and their piercings of five body parts.â€

5 body parts? is that a biblical reference? or just plain crazy? or a biblical reference that is also crazy?

Disclaimer - i believe in organic food. I work for an organic food distributor. I think the mega corporate food industry in this country is disgusting at best. That doesn't mean I eat a perfectly organic, holistic diet. I haven't been able to afford that. But I try to stay aware and make good choices. And I do not have any peircings and yes, I do use compost.

.... What does that even mean? I make my own compost for my flower beds. Coffee grounds and egg shells. Should... should I pierce more body parts? With my hoe?

Shocked that Michelle didn't spontaneously combust. Aren't you supposed to keep those blow torches away from aerosol products? Lord knows she has a can's worth in that mullet every day. :shock:

This is just SCREAMING for the right caption... come my Jingerites... Don't disappoint me! :mrgreen:

blog-ladies.jpg

PS, They are actually selling Audio from the conference:

Purchase the Food Conference on CD — Just $75

Purchase the Food Conference on MP3 — Just $45

:shock: Freaking hell, is there never an end to the lining of Doug's pockets!?

This still makes me shake my head. Why all these pictures of cream pies, if it's supposed to be a conference about real food?

(okay, I know that you can make a cream pie without fake stuff, but it's very unlikely.)

Random observations:

• Be-All's gone blonde.
  • Jichelle's in the same darn blue blouse.
  • Who the freak snuffs cream pie?

... I make my own compost for my flower beds. Coffee grounds and egg shells. Should... should I pierce more body parts? With my hoe?

I experienced an accidental piercing one day when I was pruning roses topless. I don't advise it. :oops:

The more I read about this conference, the angrier I get. There are kids going to bed hungry, then going to school hungry the next day right here in the America these people claim to love. There are retirees rummaging in Dumpsters for tossed-out food because their fixed income goes to medication and, you know, not freezing to death. There are mothers raising their kids on ketchup sandwiches because there is nothing else to eat. There are people working multiple lousy jobs who still eat crappy greasy fast faux food because the nearest actual grocery store is two bus transfers away and they can't squeeze any more time out of their day without sacrificing the sleep that lets them keep on dogpaddling amid rising costs of everything. And the solution is . . . to guilt women into cooking old-fashioned square meals? With money they pull out of thin air, I suppose?

Hey, Doug (Phillips is a tool), here's a food campaign that will make you look super awesome and cool. There are mothers here in the U S of A, good mothers who didn't abort their children (mostly brown mothers, but hold your nose, okay?), who could get eggs, milk, and fruit to help their babies grow up healthy, but they don't, because getting to the nearest store is simply not possible. Google "food desert," okay? Imagine being told that you can only buy milk in gallon jugs--many states require this of WIC participants. Now imagine riding the bus for two hours and standing at a bus stop for 40 minutes in between bus transfers, with multiple gallons of milk and a baby and a toddler (because if you had money for child care you wouldn't qualify for WIC), in the summer heat.

So here's my challenge to you, Doug. Campaign for major grocery store chains to send vans into the food deserts. Vans stuffed with WIC-eligible food. The stores get the WIC checks, the families that need milk and eggs and carrots get milk and eggs and carrots, and you look less like a deeply closeted Walter Mitty-esque con man. If you plan it out right, you can even avoid seeing any of those unaesthetically poor brown people except at carefully planned photo ops.

The more I read about this conference, the angrier I get. There are kids going to bed hungry, then going to school hungry the next day right here in the America these people claim to love. There are retirees rummaging in Dumpsters for tossed-out food because their fixed income goes to medication and, you know, not freezing to death. There are mothers raising their kids on ketchup sandwiches because there is nothing else to eat. There are people working multiple lousy jobs who still eat crappy greasy fast faux food because the nearest actual grocery store is two bus transfers away and they can't squeeze any more time out of their day without sacrificing the sleep that lets them keep on dogpaddling amid rising costs of everything. And the solution is . . . to guilt women into cooking old-fashioned square meals? With money they pull out of thin air, I suppose?

Hey, Doug (Phillips is a tool), here's a food campaign that will make you look super awesome and cool. There are mothers here in the U S of A, good mothers who didn't abort their children (mostly brown mothers, but hold your nose, okay?), who could get eggs, milk, and fruit to help their babies grow up healthy, but they don't, because getting to the nearest store is simply not possible. Google "food desert," okay? Imagine being told that you can only buy milk in gallon jugs--many states require this of WIC participants. Now imagine riding the bus for two hours and standing at a bus stop for 40 minutes in between bus transfers, with multiple gallons of milk and a baby and a toddler (because if you had money for child care you wouldn't qualify for WIC), in the summer heat.

So here's my challenge to you, Doug. Campaign for major grocery store chains to send vans into the food deserts. Vans stuffed with WIC-eligible food. The stores get the WIC checks, the families that need milk and eggs and carrots get milk and eggs and carrots, and you look less like a deeply closeted Walter Mitty-esque con man. If you plan it out right, you can even avoid seeing any of those unaesthetically poor brown people except at carefully planned photo ops.

I brought up something similar to a Fundie, and I was told that the solution is to pray for them, because people who live in 'those areas" (I was at the time referring to inner cities and rural alaska, both of which I have lived and worked) are facing a "spiritual problem" and while rape, starving, dying, are bad, it's not as bad as not accepting Jesus. Apparently these people honestly believe that if we could just convert the people to christ, all of their problems would be solved. um. No.

Sorry for bad capitalization, my shift key is working selectively.

So Jesus making sure that thousands of people had enough to eat was . . . a bit of pointless performance art? He should have told them all to go home hungry and get baptized, even though He was worried that some of them were too weak with hunger to get home safely?

Archived