IGNORED

What are you reading now?

AtroposHeart

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was in high school, I was collecting info on Victor Hugo for a paper and I stumbled across "Hugoliad" by Eugene Ionesco.

I thought it was odd and I didn't get it. Now that I"m a grown up (HA), I find it entertaining: http://www.amazon.com/Hugoliad-Grotesqu ... 0394560922

It's...a tremendously sarcastic, almost parody of Hugo's life done by one of the foremost writers for the "Theatre of the Absurd"

To steal the description from Wikipedia, it "includes exaggerated retellings of the most scandalous episodes in Hugo's life and contains prototypes for many of Ionesco's later themes: the ridiculous authoritarian character, the false worship of language"

I recommend it after reading/re-reading anything by Hugo--I like Hugo lots and lots but it does me good to be able to poke fun at him too :)

Noted! Hugo is definitely a man in need of the occasional fun-poking. And my RL friends would probably like to stop hearing about him sometime in the next decade, so tremendously sarcastic almost-parodies are probably the way to go. :)

Haha. I skip the parts where he describes the food at the feasts and what everyone is wearing. Everyone is always dressed for a Westeros theme party! Does EVERYTHING you own have to relate to your house colors/sigil? I mean, really?

Also, if anyone on here is on GoodReads and isn't my friend, you should totally friend me so I look more popular on GoodReads (but really because I love seeing what other people are reading and getting recs and whatnot!): [link=http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4917418-allison]DO IT[/link]

Apparently, we are already Goodreads friends!

ttp://www.goodreads.com/keen23

It seems as though I'm always attempting about 45 books at once. :lol:

Right now, I'm attempting two Wally Lamb books, as my sister are hardcore fans. So far, kinda depressing, but well-written.

I'm embarrassed to say how many half-read books are on my bedside table right now. :oops:

I've read "She's Come Undone" and "I Know This Much Is True," by W. Lamb. Really liked them both. The religion-obsessed schizophrenic brother in "True" is a rather sad character.

I'm reading The Bible According to Mark Twain, and loving it. His work is just amazing and I wish I'd discovered him sooner without Cliffs Notes. Took the easy way out in high school and I really missed out.

I'm on a Rhys Bowen kick right now. I'm working on #6 in the Her Royal Spyness series- the Twelve Clues of Christmas. It's pretty good.

One of my friends just got published, at the ripe old age of 21, and I'm reading it right now (signed copy with personal message, thank you very much!). It's a sci-fi apocalyptic story with religious overtones, taking place in two rival monasteries. Hapax, by K.T. Bryski. Perfect for getting your mind off dumb stupid essays. If you like the genre at all, check it out!

I'm reading The Swerve (link here because I can't figure out how to do that yet: http://www.amazon.com/Swerve-How-World- ... the+swerve)

It's great. And it's led me to order a translation of the poem that the book is about finding. I never thought I'd get into philosophy, but I'm finding it fascinating.

Next up is David Rakoff's Don't Get Too Comfortable.

My to-be-read pile is more like an entire bookcase right now. It's a sickness.

I loved the Augusten Burroughs books (although I was a tad skeptical about some of the "truthiness" involved.) His older brother, who is an Aspie, also wrote a fantastic book, but I can't remember the title right now.

Look Me In The Eye. Great book.

One of my friends just got published, at the ripe old age of 21, and I'm reading it right now (signed copy with personal message, thank you very much!). It's a sci-fi apocalyptic story with religious overtones, taking place in two rival monasteries. Hapax, by K.T. Bryski. Perfect for getting your mind off dumb stupid essays. If you like the genre at all, check it out!

Dude, that sounds so up my alley. Will check it out.

Only $5 for Kindle? Hell yeah.

Just finished up A Dance with Dragons and now am waiting "somewhat" patiently for the next installment. So in the interim I'm reading The Passage by Justin Cronin. Apocalypse, vampires - how could you go wrong... :P

Reading The English Patient, which is fucking amazing. I've never had a book transport me so quickly so that I read a couple pages and then forget where I am in the real world. However, tonigh, I read Misfits Nathan/Simon slash and ate cheesecake. I'm not proud of it, but there you are.

Went to the library two days ago, and came home with:

This Republic of Suffering, Drew Gilpin Faust

The Mysterious Private Thompson, Laura Leedy Gansler

Sailor Twain, Mark Siegel

Everyday Life During the Civil War, Michael Varhola

My Sister's Keeper, Jodi Picoult

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, Christopher Moore

A False Sense of Well Being, Jeanne Braselton

I've started the first four (I've been on a bit of a US Civil War kick lately), and they are all quite interesting. Sailor Twain is a graphic novel, beautifully written and drawn in what looks like charcoal, and is, I think, a book that I will have to buy. So is the Faust book, and I've been trying to buy less books because I'm always one or two bookcases shy of being able to house my current collection! So much for good intentions. :twisted:

Been on a bit of a classics kick - Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice etc Struggled a bit until I "got my eye in" with the style but then breezed through.

So for a change I'm now on Wool by Hugh Howey. Post-apocalyptic sci-fi. Protagonist is female which is refreshing. Halfway thru and can thoroughly recommend it.

Next up is Ready Player One. Set in 2044 and references 1980's pop culture. Being an 80's tragic I can't wait.

But my all time, read over and over book is High Fidelity by Nick Hornby. Worn out two copies already.

I can second the recommendation for Wool. A nice easy read but has lots of layers.

I just got done with The One Hundread Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared. Swedish author, interesting writing style, great main characters and a real trip through history.

I'm reading The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson- it's an epic narrative historical nonfiction about the Great Migration of African Americans from the south to the cities of the north and west during the middle of the 20th century. Her narrative style is so engaging, I can't put it down.

Chavs: The demonization of the working class - Owen Jones. I'd really recommend it for anyone who wants to read an in-depth analysis of the British class system.

Currently reading Cloud Atlas. I'm not very far in yet. It's well written. I've read other books by Mitchell and enjoyed them. I'm not sure why they made a movie of this, and I haven't seen it.

I can also recommend Wool and Ready Player One.

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived