IGNORED

What are you reading now?

AtroposHeart

The Mysterious Benedict Society. I like the general plot even though it's not entirely believable (It doesn't provide thorough suspension of disbelief) but I'm finding something compelling in the storyline.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Wilder Life. This was being discussed in the main forum and so far its pretty good. I never knew there were so many little house on the prarie sites in the U.S.

(You) Set me on Fire by Mariko Tamaki . It's the first YA novel I've read with a lesbian protagonist, and her disastrous and destructive first love reminds me of my own.

Just finished "hard Eight" by Janet Evanovich. i also recently finished "Death's hand" by SM. Reine and "Girl's guide to withcraft" by Mindy Klasky. I read alot and I am off on workman comp.

I'm currently working my way through "Dark World". I'm really facinated by ghost and ghost hunters stories.

I just finished off "Who Wore What?" which is a great reference for any Civil War reenactors.

I just finished a (not very recent) Carl Hiassan book--"Nature Girl".

His books aren't 'great literature' but are fun. They're generally set in FLorida, populated by BS crazy characters, and have a bit of an environmental bent.

This wasn't my favorite of his, but, eh, still worth reading.

(I'm still plugging through Don Quixote, but I'm also reading "Gun Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond, re-reading some Darwin, and going for "Bossypants" by Tina Fey. I'm thinking Tina Fey is more fun than Quixote, so he'll go back into the back burner.)

I just finished a (not very recent) Carl Hiassan book--"Nature Girl".

His books aren't 'great literature' but are fun. They're generally set in FLorida, populated by BS crazy characters, and have a bit of an environmental bent.

This wasn't my favorite of his, but, eh, still worth reading.

(I'm still plugging through Don Quixote, but I'm also reading "Gun Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond, re-reading some Darwin, and going for "Bossypants" by Tina Fey. I'm thinking Tina Fey is more fun than Quixote, so he'll go back into the back burner.)

I enjoy Hiassan he is a credible Gonzo writer, and there is another FL writer whose protagonist is Serge Storms, a quirky yet creative serial killer. Not everyones cuppa, but twisted laugh out loud dark humor.

I enjoy Hiassan he is a credible Gonzo writer, and there is another FL writer whose protagonist is Serge Storms, a quirky yet creative serial killer. Not everyones cuppa, but twisted laugh out loud dark humor.

The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To by D. C. Pierson (fiction) and

Some Girls by Jillian Lauren (memoir)

Both are enjoyable, but the memoir is fascinating. It details the time that the author spent in the "harem" of the Prince of Brunei.

I'm waiting to make it to the top of the library's wait list for Sky Dragons (the newest Pern novel - by Todd McCaffrey instead of Anne), so I'm plowing through the books immediately before it, unfortunately. I'm on Dragonheart right now, which I found at the book sale for $1 (I've stopped buying them new). There's so much time travel and so many vague characters that this seemed like the best way. I still have to make it through Dragongirl and the other one - and this is a sad indication of the impression the new books are making on me, that I can't even remember the titles. It's a heavy slog sometimes, and I still can't keep the time jumps sorted out.

For more "fun" reading, I've got the Iron Man comics/graphic novels (also from the library). We went to see the Avengers when it was out, and that's started me on a comic kick. Luckily my library has a pretty good stock of the paperback comic collections, so I'm reading Iron Man, the Avengers from the 50s, and a couple of related ones now. And I understand their guidelines, but some days I wish they would at least to ILL for DVDs and CDs. We don't do Netflix, and Redbox has its limitations (although they did still have Thor and Captain America this summer - but I'm still waiting for Iron Man 2 to turn up on FX or some other channel).

And I need to read Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party, because there's a new No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency book out that I had missed. Hadn't realized it had been so long since the last one came out. Oops.

For my next project, I was thinking of reading all (or most) of the Newbery Award books, possibly including runners-up with them.

Well I got tired of Sookie Stackhouse after 9 books. I'm off her. And Harry Potter is like getting crack via my kindle, so I don't want to go down that road again. Any suggestions?

I can't give a high enough recommendation to Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It's really a fantastic book. I've read it five times since the start of the year.

I'm also working my way through Debora Geary's Witch series. They're really cute. Not heavy literature. Not a whole lot of sex (in fact nothing stands out as particularly more than the occasional PG-13 scene). She's a self-published author. There are full length novels and the occasional novella to fill out the series. And, her Kindle books, unlike some big name authors are quite reasonably priced- $3.99 for a novel, $.99 for a novella.

Well I got tired of Sookie Stackhouse after 9 books. I'm off her. And Harry Potter is like getting crack via my kindle, so I don't want to go down that road again. Any suggestions?

Have you read The Summerhouse by Jude Devereaux (however she spells it)? I was highly disappointed in the sequel but that one is really good.

Sometimes I just scour the Kindle freebies page. You never know what'll pop up there.

I'm starting Heart's Blood, Juliet Marillier. I enjoyed her Sevenwaters series.

Added to the list ;) thanks

The Mysterious Benedict Society. I like the general plot even though it's not entirely believable (It doesn't provide thorough suspension of disbelief) but I'm finding something compelling in the storyline.

That book was really cute! I love YA fiction.

Right now I'm reading Insurgent by Veronica Roth.

• 3 months later...

I thought I would bring this thread up again :) I am reading Just My Type: a book about fonts. It's pretty interesting and details a topic that, while aware fonts exist, I have never really thought about their history, who created them, and things like that.

I'm currently about a 100 pages into The Stockholm Octavo by Karen Engelmann. It's pretty good, and a departure from what I usually read.

I'm currently rereading: Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York by Lisa Hilton. Very interesting on female power in the role of the queen and how it diminished over time.

Here's a question I'm going to throw out: Once things calm down around here would people be interested in trying to do some type of book club on here?

Such a Pretty Face by Cathy Lamb. Again. One of the best books I've ever read and I just happened to pick it up to read as fluff on vacation

I'm currently rereading: Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York by Lisa Hilton. Very interesting on female power in the role of the queen and how it diminished over time.

Here's a question I'm going to throw out: Once things calm down around here would people be interested in trying to do some type of book club on here?

I would love a book club! That would be nice.

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived