IGNORED

What are you reading now?

AtroposHeart

Tangy Bee, I ordered a copy of The Room from Amazon, it sounds fascinating. I will look forward to reading it when it arrives, thanks to you and others for the reccomendation. :)

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tangy Bee, I ordered a copy of The Room from Amazon, it sounds fascinating. I will look forward to reading it when it arrives, thanks to you and others for the reccomendation. :)

I look forward to hearing what you think about it! :)

Have you read any of the "In Death" books by J.D. Robb?

No, are they good? I read one of J. A. Nance (Jance?)'s series, the one with the female sheriff in Arizona. Need to see if there's a new one.

I did read a couple of YA Xtian books this week, published by Focus on the Family. Part of something called the Brio Girls series. Total fluff, very religious, but better than the Moody family. I learned a new courtship/dating analogy that I hadn't seen before - scotch tape. If you date too many people, all your sticky wears off and you can't stick to your One True Love. Also, being kissed by two guys in one day makes you a slut (and yeah, I believe that's the exact word. I gave the books back to the lender, so I can't check.) One was about a girl dealing with courtship, the other was a girl whose family was temporarily fostering a little boy during medical treatment (he was from somewhere in South America, can't remember if it was specifically named), and the family ends up adopting him after much prayer, and after his father allows him to be placed for adoption.

I also found a copy of the Lahaye book on raising morally pure children. It looks . . . interesting, we'll say.

I'm reading Captain Vorpatil's Alliance by Lois B. McMasters. It's part of a very addictive Sci-Fi series. Long live the Vor!

I'm reading Top of the Morning the book about Ann Currey's firing at the Today show. It's goooood.

I'm reading Top of the Morning the book about Ann Currey's firing at the Today show. It's goooood.

I think I'll order that next. I really, really liked her. I was shocked when she was fired.

Maggie Mae, get it. You won't be sorry. Did I mention it's goooood? Anne obviously has her own ego and cut-throat side, she wouldn't have gotten where she was without it, but she really is a nice person overall. She was treated so badly for no real reason other than, it seems, because they could. We need a head shaking smilie that indicates sad disapproval.

I'm currently reading Claire Dederer's "Poser: My Life in 23 Yoga Poses." I'm actually reading for a book review my editor has assigned. It's pretty good so far. Ms. Dederer is a talented, entertaining and funny writer.

I just finished read "The Red Hat Club" and "The Red Hat Club Rides Again" by Haywood Smith. (I was at the beach so wanted something very light). Then, upon my return to Illinois, I finished "Under the Banner of Faith" -- very disturbing.

Currently reading Small Town Girl by LaVyrle Spencer. I've heard a lot of people say she's a great author.

I think I have every book she wrote. (She retired about 15 -20 years ago). Some of her earlier books are set in the 1800s but most of her contemporary books are set in Minnesota, where she is from. If you like it (Small Town Girl), I would recommend: "Bitter Sweet" "Family Blessings" "Separate Beds" and "Bygones".

Trying to read Trotsky's biography of Lenin in Russian. I hope to work on my Russian for at least an hour every day, and books and sitcoms are the most fun!

http://www.penguin.com.au/jpg-large/9780141028392.jpg

I bought this book at borders today and seriously, I'm laughing my ass off. It was love at first sight (I love linguistics).

Albanians have 27 words for eyebrow. :wtf:

Pigs go röf-röf-röf in Hungary (Ok, here I almost peed myself a little)

A Yorkshireman who's prematurely aged through drink is crambazzled, :D

etc.

I cannot wait to dig in. :popcorn2:

I'm still finishing The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. One of the best works of fiction I've read, and I've read plenty. Haven't got as much time to read as of lately because work is swamping me, but I've got a few lined up for the summer (The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde and American Gods and Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman to name some)

Currently reading The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker. It's about a serial killer who kidnaps and kills women, but first "dresses" them up all pretty like brides. (Dresses in quotes, because they're actually found naked, but with makeup and a bride's veil on). It's pretty intriguing.

However, I'm sad because he just killed Nikki, and I liked Nikki. :(

Trying to read Trotsky's biography of Lenin in Russian. I hope to work on my Russian for at least an hour every day, and books and sitcoms are the most fun!

I applaud this message :)

I read Trotsky's History of the Russian Revolution as a security guard (night shift on front desk gives you a lot of spare reading time - my shift was 6pm til 3am with a 15 minute break). I struggled with the big words and also the mockery of the other security types (and randoms) :lol:

I think I have every book she wrote. (She retired about 15 -20 years ago). Some of her earlier books are set in the 1800s but most of her contemporary books are set in Minnesota, where she is from. If you like it (Small Town Girl), I would recommend: "Bitter Sweet" "Family Blessings" "Separate Beds" and "Bygones".

I have every single one of her books. They are phenomenal, my absolute favorites.

Read Morning Glory. It is amazing.

Right now I am reading Lady of the Rivers by Phillippa Gregory. Love historical fiction. Next on my list is The Heavy by Dara Lynn Weiss. It's about a mom who put her 8 year old on a diet.

I'm finally getting around to reading John Dies at the End. I just finished (and loved) Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue.

I'm working through the Aunt Dimity series by Nancy Atherton. There's nothing controversial or ground-breaking about these books. They're under 300 pages each, Britishy mysteries. There are currently 16 books in the series, published over the last 23 years or so.

Just read Black Friday by Alex Kava. It is slim pickings on my library's site for eBooks right now--summer apparently means everything is checked out--it sounded like a good suspense novel and wasn't too long. Except that it tries to advance conspiracy theories and all the characters watch Fox News, plus unlike most books in a series, it was not identified as part of a series. It is one of the "Maggie O'Dell" series. Anyone read any? Do they all have ultra-conservative undertones? Is Maggie as boring as she seems in this volume? Does Kava begin to develop characters then leave them hanging all the time as she did with more than one in this book?

I just finished In the Heart of the Sea, by Nathaniel Philbrick. It's about the whaleship Essex, which was rammed by a whale and sunk in 1820. The crew escaped to the smaller whaleboats and wandered in the Pacific for 93 days before being rescued. The few survivors resorted to cannibalism to stay alive. It was the inspiration for Moby Dick. It was a good read, but a bit gruesome, what with the descriptions of starving to death, dying of thirst and cannibalism.

esssex_zps2c01ed1b.jpg

& currently reading Gone Girl. SO far behind everyone else on that book, having a hard time putting it down though!!

I just finished The Heavy by Dara Lynn Weiss. She was the one in the vogue article for putting her 7 year old on a diet for being obese. It was great.

I just cracked Bringing Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel open today, and I'm liking it so far.

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived