IGNORED

What are you reading now?

AtroposHeart

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Currently having a heard time putting down The Girls Who Went Away: The Hidden History of Women. Really heartbreaking to read these stories of women who had no choice but to give their babies up for adoption in the 50's and 60's. Someone here on FJ recommended it on another thread.

Captive Queen, by Alison Weir, a historian who also writes the occasional historical novel. It's about Eleanor of Aquitaine and her life with Henry II of England.

Oh! My mum likes these! I remember having political difficulties but not why? I do remember they were very sweet. Perhaps I made a mistake?

Sorry, I only just saw this post, over three weeks late! :oops: They are very sweet, but not in a sugar-coated, sickening sort of way, at least I don't think so. :lol: A little idealised, though--I know village life in England isn't really quite that wonderful, nor ever was. Not sure why you'd have had political difficulties with her books, but then I'm not up on British politics, I'm ashamed to say, so most of that would have probably gone right over my head. :?

Various Discworld novels at one time,namely Men at Arms and Fifth Elephant...love me some Pratchett :)

Love me some Pratchett! Men at Arms is one of the best. Sam is brilliant, I think TP's 2nd best character after Death.

Just finished Anna Karenina. My friend has bought me an Amy Tan novel for my birthday so going to read that next.

I've just finished reading "The Kitchen God's Wife" by Amy Tan! Which book of hers are you planning to read?

I've also just started reading Pole to Pole by Michael Palin.

Love me some Pratchett! Men at Arms is one of the best. Sam is brilliant, I think TP's 2nd best character after Death

It is about time for another Witches book. I would LOVE to see Granny and Sam duke it out :)

It is about time for another Witches book. I would LOVE to see Granny and Sam duke it out :)

Ooh, yes, please. (Just finished Night Watch, now on to Monstrous Regiment.) If anything, Granny may be my favorite character, ahead of both Death and Vimes. I'd also love to see Granny face off against Sybil, but I suppose that wouldn't result in a clash so much as Sybil's boundless graciousness utterly mystifying Granny.

Remember Sybil is no ones fool-Even the Patrician respects her.They would realize they have the same goals in mind and proceed to walk circles around Vimes :)

I always have more than one book going at a time. Re-reading God is Not Great because I finally got in for my Kindle. Just started A Train in Winter by Carol by Caroline Moorhead, a history of the women of the French Resistance in WWII. I almost never read fiction (except science fiction) but since I love history, someone recommended Hilary Mantel and gave me Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies. We'll see how it goes.

I bought the entire J.D. Robb "In Death" series and just finished reading them in order. I had read most of them before but never in order. I'm actually sad to have finished them.

Reading this thread to get ideas on my next books.

Captive Queen, by Alison Weir, a historian who also writes the occasional historical novel. It's about Eleanor of Aquitaine and her life with Henry II of England.

love Eleanor of Aquataine, there is an old but good movie called A Lion in Winter about her too. I highly recommend.

love Eleanor of Aquataine, there is an old but good movie called A Lion in Winter about her too. I highly recommend.

I adore that movie. Nay, I've made an idol of that movie. :lol:

Eleanor: "I even made poor Louis take me on crusade. How's that for blasphemy? I dressed my maids as amazons and rode bare-breasted halfway to Damascus. Louis had a seizure, and I damn near died of windburn... but the troops were dazzled."

:clap:

I adore that movie. Nay, I've made an idol of that movie. :lol:

Eleanor: "I even made poor Louis take me on crusade. How's that for blasphemy? I dressed my maids as amazons and rode bare-breasted halfway to Damascus. Louis had a seizure, and I damn near died of windburn... but the troops were dazzled."

:clap:

That movie was 50 kinds of awesome! It doesn't get much better than Katherine Hepburn, Peter O'Toole, and Richard Burton. I have Allison Weir's biography of Eleanor of Aquitane. It is well read and well loved.

I've just finished reading "The Kitchen God's Wife" by Amy Tan! Which book of hers are you planning to read?

I've also just started reading Pole to Pole by Michael Palin.

Loved "The Kitchen God's Wife", but my favorite of her's is "The Joy Luck Club".

I think I will have to purchase "a Lion in Winter" or see if the library has it.

Right now I am reading The Duty of Delight" it is the diary of Dorothy Day. She is being considered for canonization by the Catholic church. She was also an anarchist communist which is interesting. It is very intense and I need to put it down for a bit every so often to absorb it.

Currently reading Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling.

For 11 years I was told time and again how evil, horrible and wicked Harry Potter was. So of course, the good Christian girl that I was, agreed with whatever the pastor said and never touched them and thought they were evil too because it involves magic and witchcraft.

Now that I freed myself from all that, I began watching the movies in 2011 and was hooked. I just started the books this year, in order of course, and am sold.

I really love JKR's imagination. She's very gifted. I can't believe she had all this stored in her brain. :D

Just the other day a good Christian friend of mine found out I'm now a devout Harry Potter fan. She told me she senses a demonic presence in me now and that the demons are having a hey day with. I'm not kidding. LOL. I told my husband what she said and he was like 'ummm...ooookay'. :lol:

Ah, I love a bit of HP ;) Good choice!

She's putting out a novel soon about a parish council vacancy (do you have parish councils in America?) This one is for grown ups and not a speckl of magic appears. I know a lot of people have been saying they won't read it because they don't want their HP memories spoilt, fair play, but I will be reading it definitely. Woman's got some talent, this book is bound to be at least middlingly good!

I wonder do demons possess you if you read that one just cause it was JK who wrote it? :lol:

The most outrageous part of the fundie idiocy over Harry Potter is that those books actually have a TON of Christian allusions. Harry/Jesus anyone? Prophecies about babies? MagicalMuggle, wait till you get to the last book. The inscriptions in the graveyard are powerful.

Everyone has books they like and books they don't. The problem with the fundie attitude toward HP is most of them have never read even one chapter in the series they insist is demon possessed. :roll:

Currently reading Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling.

For 11 years I was told time and again how evil, horrible and wicked Harry Potter was. So of course, the good Christian girl that I was, agreed with whatever the pastor said and never touched them and thought they were evil too because it involves magic and witchcraft.

Now that I freed myself from all that, I began watching the movies in 2011 and was hooked. I just started the books this year, in order of course, and am sold.

I really love JKR's imagination. She's very gifted. I can't believe she had all this stored in her brain. :D

Just the other day a good Christian friend of mine found out I'm now a devout Harry Potter fan. She told me she senses a demonic presence in me now and that the demons are having a hey day with. I'm not kidding. LOL. I told my husband what she said and he was like 'ummm...ooookay'. :lol:

I LOVE Harry Potter. Like you, I started (and finished.....and restarted.....and refinished) them this year and was hooked.....yes at age 39 LOL.

The ironic thing about all of those people hating the books is.....they have some very strong Christian themes. Even JKR herself has said that there are parallels to Christianity (Christ giving his life = Harry giving his life, both had a resurrection, etc.). She just didn't play it up because she wanted non-Christians to be able to enjoy them without feeling preached to. Hmmmm.....what a concept.......and yes she IS brilliant on so many levels.

Anywa it boggles my mind, really, that they think those books are demonic, because if they just read one they would realize they espouse very Christian ideals such as charity, bravery, chivalry, doing what's right, etc..

Oh wait, I forgot we aren't talking about real Christians, we're talking about fundies. :roll: Nevermind.....anyhoo.....speaking of books they would no doubt hate, I'm now reading Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books. It took me a bit to get used to her writing style (JKR spoiled me, I guess) but I've read the first 3 in about a week so I guess you could say I'm fairly hooked.

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived