IGNORED

Why access to contraceptives for women is so important.

Swamptribe

This is a CNN video story, so you have to sit through an ad to watch it. Very informative though. Points out many of the problems that so many women around the world have to face on a daily basis.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#/vi ... secret.cnn

"Third world" is not an accurate term anymore as there is no more cold war, so I'm going to have to say 'impoverished nations'. I have read reports that point out, when conditions are improved for women, they also improve for children. That women are much more likely to see that their children lead better lives than the fathers of those children are.

In impoverished areas of the world, when women are given opportunities for better eduction, health care (including reproductive choice), economic opportunities; then conditions improve for the children also. The higher quality of life is passed on to future generations.

To use a fundie colloquialism, it really breaks my heart to see so many in the US and other nations with a higher standard of living starting to dehumanize women. As a society, we need to move forward, not backward.

Thank you for that information. I have four daughters so this is a topic near and dear to my heart.

"Third world" is not an accurate term anymore as there is no more cold war, so I'm going to have to say 'impoverished nations'. I have read reports that point out, when conditions are improved for women, they also improve for children. That women are much more likely to see that their children lead better lives than the fathers of those children are.

Sidenote: You rock for knowing the proper use of the term "Third World"!

The newest term is "Global South", and it's gaining popularity in some circles because it avoids any problems with the term "developing countries".

If the right was truly pro-life, they would focus on improving the US's infant mortality right, not keeping women away from safe abortions and contraception.

Archived