47of74

Looks like former first lady Barbara Bush is in palliative care now;

Former first lady Barbara Bush is in failing health, a source close to the Bush family tells CNN. 

The source said she is being cared for at her home in Houston and has decided she does not want to go back into the hospital. She has been on oxygen for some time.

Her husband, former President George H. W. Bush is with her, as are daughter Doro and sons Marvin and Neil. Her other sons, former President George W. Bush and former Gov. Jeb Bush, have been in and out visiting her the past week.

Bush's office released a statement, confirming after a "recent series of hospitalizations," she has decided against seeking additional medical help and will instead focus on "comfort care."

I seriously dislike the penis holding Bushes but have always liked Barbara. I’m saddened to hear this.

I have always admired Barbara Bush. She is a strong woman, and her contributions, in particular to literacy efforts, have been remarkable.

She passed on

Barbara Bush, the matriarch of a Republican political dynasty and a first lady who elevated the cause of literacy, died Tuesday, according to a statement from her husband's office. She was 92.

Only the second woman in American history to have had a husband and a son elected President (Abigail Adams was the first), Bush was seen as a plainspoken public figure who was instantly recognizable with her signature white hair and pearl necklaces and earrings. She became a major political figure as her husband, George H.W. Bush, rose to become vice president and president. After they left the White House, she was a potent spokeswoman for two of her sons -- George W. and Jeb -- as they campaigned for office.

'The enforcer' -- how Barbara Bush became the matriarch of the Republican Party

The mother of six children -- one of whom, a daughter, Robin, died as a child from leukemia -- Barbara Bush raised her fast-growing family in the 1950s and '60s amid the post-war boom of Texas and the whirl of politics that consumed her husband.

I'm holding the Silver Fox in my thoughts and hoping that her passing was easy.

She is - or was - an opinionated women with whom I did not often agree.  I always rather liked her though.

And I will always appreciate the fact that she broke Republican ranks to condemn Trump - with passion.  His appalling treatment of women was "unbelievable."

Thank you, Barbara.  RIP.

Condolences to the Bush family. I was never a fan of either of the Presidents Bush, but I liked and respected Barbara. 

I will not forget her going door to door during the campaign, using her walker, in the snow, to campaign for Jeb, while Trump canceled his entire trip because it had snowed.

My greater admiration, however, is for her literacy efforts.

It's still too bad she helped push her husband's birther movement too. President Obama is real class for sitting next to her. I can't lie though I did like she brought the two workers.

Why didn't Trump attend? That seems incredibly disrespectful on his part. Is there a (good) reason he didn't attend?

I watched the funeral today. I thought it was a beautiful tribute to her life.

46 minutes ago, mollysmom said:

Why didn't Trump attend? That seems incredibly disrespectful on his part. Is there a (good) reason he didn't attend?

Obviously, I have no inside information.

That said - couple of things:

Sitting presidents don't usually attend the funerals of former first ladies. (Remember the criticism of Obama when he did not attend Nancy Reagan's funeral?)

More importantly - Barbara Bush did not care for Trump (understatement) and had nothing good to say about him. I cannot imagine that her family wanted him there.

11 minutes ago, apple1 said:

Obviously, I have no inside information.

That said - couple of things:

Sitting presidents don't usually attend the funerals of former first ladies. (Remember the criticism of Obama when he did not attend Nancy Reagan's funeral?)

More importantly - Barbara Bush did not care for Trump (understatement) and had nothing good to say about him. I cannot imagine that her family wanted him there.

OhI I actually didn't know that sitting presidents don't usually attend the funerals. And yeah, actually didn't realize that she didn't like him so yeah.....I guess it would have been disrespectful and in poor taste for him to attend. I didn't know any of that!

Note to T. Bayly:  When your only lens on life is minuscule, you only see a tiny portion of a person. 

Does anybody other than the unfortunate flock at ClearNote* Church and FJ even know who he is?

*”ClearNote:” hearing aid or music school?

It certainly makes no sense as the name of a church.  Which, when you think about it, works — because Bayly makes no sense either.  

Usually it takes more than one sentence to piss me off. In this case the first half of the first sentence was enough. 

There’s a certain type of older woman who’s a discredit to her sex

Tim Bayly -- asswipe of the universe.

What a vile commentary, and I've never been a huge fan of Barbara Bush.

19 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Does anybody other than the unfortunate flock at ClearNote* Church and FJ even know who he is?

Oh, LOTS of Reformed/Presby/Evangelical people know who he is... and wish they didn't. He's a constant embarrassment to the more "polite" wing of the conservative Reformed movement, and he revels in that. 

On April 21, 2018 at 6:37 PM, mollysmom said:

I believe the official reason was "to avoid the disruption due to extra security" (as if there wouldn't be a massive secret service presence already, with all the presidents and their family members that were in attendance). I think the real reason was that he wanted to play golf.

President Obama didn't attend Nancy Reagan's funeral, but I believe he was at a major conference or meeting of some sort at the time. 

Still, it's good Trump didn't go as I'm sure Barbara Bush would not have wanted him there. First ladies generally DO attend other first lady's funerals, so it's good Melania did go. As much as she's supported her husband's terribleness, she does seem to have some humanity and compassion buried under the facade.

I feel sick, I am not the biggest fan of the Bush family but this is sick. Barbara did not deserve hate after death because she supported women's rights to choose abortion. Some of the warmest tributes she received were from her political opponents. 

Not very Christian to speak so horrible about someone who has just passed away.

Archived