IGNORED

Maxwell 15: Simplifying Thanksgiving into Less than Regular Dinner

Coconut Flan

1 minute ago, Captain Obvious said:

The good thing I guess is that it’s clear the Bontragers do not shun people with different standards of Christianity, as indicated above. I doubt the Maxwells would do the same for anyone who’d educated their children in public schools while claiming to be Christian, or graduates of said schools (even though he is one himself).

I think it's because they both Becky and Marlin have very large families and their families have a wide range of lifestyles. Some are still Mennonite while others are like Harrison and have basically become mainstream Christians. 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I believe the Bontragers did write something about rebellion last year. I think a lot of it was blamed on evil public school. Chelsy will get the blame when public school can't be blamed. 

Here it is! I love this post from last year. It's so smug! But make sure you read Harrison Tyler's comments (nephew to Marlin) I like that Bontrager the best! 

http://bontragersingers.blogspot.com/2016/08/a-few-ideas-on-how-to-produce-rebel.html?m=0

A couple of thoughts...

First, do the Bontrager's have specific ties to the Maritime Provinces of Canada?  They reference Moncton in that post and one of the newly married sons honeymooned in Nova Scotia. Im not used to having fundies in my backyard.  On the one hand, I'm not sure I like it. On the other, if it gives me opportunity to sneak a peek at Hot John in person, I might just take it!

Second, I was born in Moncton and know it well. They are definitely using poetic licence when describing it and its residents. Crazy hair and cell phones?  Yep. But I can all but guarantee you those kids were polite to them.  Us Maritimers tend to be a polite and friendly bunch. Also, the beautiful river the "rebels" were missing out on?  Literally a river of mud. It's nickname is the chocolate river. Google Petitcodiac River to see that beauty for yourself. 

Okay, one of the reasons that I don't think Mary or Anna Elizabeth will marry is kind of demonstrated on their newest post:They are constantly dressed like each other. Even though they are well into their 20s, when most fundies stop that crap. They are still so enmeshed and so immature that they choose to continue to do this. Even Sarah no longer does this - she always dresses differently. Mary and Anna Elizabeth will never be comfortable away from each other. 

43 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

I hope Stud John and Chelsy go on a real honeymoon like to an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean or Mexico and not Colorado.

That would be wonderful, but I doubt it'll happen.  It won't meet their modesty standards - too many swimsuits and shorts there, even in the winter.  At least in the cold mountains they are more likely to run into warmly-dressed / covered people.  They may rent a cabin, because at a ski resort they would see people in a hot tub.

30 minutes ago, bluelady said:

Second, I was born in Moncton and know it well. They are definitely using poetic licence when describing it and its residents. Crazy hair and cell phones?  Yep. But I can all but guarantee you those kids were polite to them.  Us Maritimers tend to be a polite and friendly bunch. Also, the beautiful river the "rebels" were missing out on?  Literally a river of mud. It's nickname is the chocolate river. Google Petitcodiac River to see that beauty for yourself. 

LOL, I took you up on that suggestion, and found this lovely image of the "Bontrager's River of Beauty" in downtown Moncton. :giggle: 

(Of course no disrespect meant, bluelady, I do know that there are many areas of breathtaking natural beauty in New Brunswick/Nova Scotia...it's just that this isn't one of them.)

IMG_1782.JPG

34 minutes ago, bluelady said:

First, do the Bontrager's have specific ties to the Maritime Provinces of Canada?  They reference Moncton in that post and one of the newly married sons honeymooned in Nova Scotia.

They do singing tours there. They were touring in Canada over the summer and stopped at a Hutterite colony. 

And I have a feeling the Bontragers learned their lesson with that Rebel post. I doubt they will post anything like that ever again. Although I'm sure they haven't changed their minds. They are just telling themselves everyone misunderstood their meaning of the post. Although everyone understood perfectly. 

How is doing construction in skirts A. safe and B. more modest? Unless maybe they had leggings on underneat but they said the day was hot so that would be unbearable. Just put on some pants, you're with family. I just shake my head every time I read their blog. 

18 minutes ago, FunDieDumDum said:

LOL, I took you up on that suggestion, and found this lovely image of the "Bontrager's River of Beauty" in downtown Moncton. :giggle: 

(Of course no disrespect meant, bluelady, I do know that there are many areas of breathtaking natural beauty in New Brunswick/Nova Scotia...it's just that this isn't one of them.)

No offense taken!  When I was little, I honestly believed it was poo. (it's not. It's brown due to a poorly planned causeway that messed with the natural flow of the river.  There are parts of that river system that are breathtaking. Just not in Moncton). 

I guess my point is that it's clear proof of how "they" (and I'm generalizing all fundies here) can lie to serve their own needs while judging others for what? Hair dye?

Or maybe they do find flowing mud beautiful. Who knows?

5 minutes ago, Justmurrayed said:

How is doing construction in skirts A. safe and B. more modest? Unless maybe they had leggings on underneat but they said the day was hot so that would be unbearable. Just put on some pants, you're with family. I just shake my head every time I read their blog. 

Thank you!  All those pictures of long skirts on ladders make me nervous!!

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

I hope Stud John and Chelsy go on a real honeymoon like to an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean or Mexico and not Colorado.

We are lucky that we live in an era of diverse travel choices and opinions. If you love winter sports and mountains, visiting Colorado can be a "real honeymoon." If you love tropical resorts, that can be your "real honeymoon." If you want to visit museums & fancy restaurants & go to shows, you can honeymoon in a city. Do what you both enjoy, and do it within a budget.

This is one of those times where you NEED pants! This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm so tired of these ignorant fundies wearing skirts at all costs. That insultation is getting all over their legs. Their skirts have to be catching on ladders and stray nails. These people look like complete idiots when they do shit like this. 

IMG_5502.PNG

15 hours ago, lilith said:

Chelsy believes exactly the same way. The Bontragers dress it up in a prettier package, but their core beliefs are the same as the Maxwells, differing only in that Daddy Bontrager, instead of Stevehova, is god. And as soon as Chelsy says “I do” she’ll become an initiate of Maxhell, under the umbrella of her authorities authority.

EXACTLY. No engagement would have happened otherwise. Nor will there be an rebellion.

Now, on John's house--yea! A post! I love how they love each other because they are 'such good worker' .... yeah. And Sarah--you hipster! Y'all!! cracks me up--so forced.

Did anyone else get whiplash when she randomly switched the topic to her new book at the end of the post? Watch out deary, that was almost bringing attention to YOU!!

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This is one of those times where you NEED pants! This is absolutely ridiculous.

This, and when you do box jumps. Of course I can't find the right picture now, but Reversal Anna and Mary have been seen doing box jumps in those ridiculous fake-Adidas "exercise skirts"...

The newest blog post is like a giant fuck you to us, and the Bontragers especially. "John's house remodeling"... "John’s house has taken an exciting turn."... "John decided to put two windows in his dining room" So is John going to live there all alone? Because it sure isn't looking like Chelsy will live in John's house or decide what his rooms will look like :2wankers:

22 minutes ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

"John's house remodeling"... "John’s house has taken an exciting turn."... "John decided to put two windows in his dining room" So is John going to live there all alone? Because it sure isn't looking like Chelsy will live in John's house or decide what his rooms will look like :2wankers:

This was super inconsiderate to John's about-to-be-wife Chelsy. Why would Sarah write it that way? So strange. Oh, she's a Maxwell. Strange is standard.

I wonder if Sarah is jealous of Chelsy.  (Not in *that* way, but that she is getting married and about to start a family and Sarah is still just a SAHD)

Please forgive me if this picture has already been discussed- I'm mostly caught up with Maxwell Marriage threads and I hadn't seen it, but I might have missed it, Anyway, I was checking out their knot website (just waiting for the detailed story of their relationship to post!) and under the Details tab, it looked like they had added some more things, so I scrolled down and I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw this picture!  (https://www.theknot.com/us/john-maxwell-and-chelsy-bontrager-dec-2017/details)

Spoiler

Where Is His Arm?

Where is his arm? Is his left arm and shoulder touching her right arm and shoulder? That looks to be at least 8-10 inches of contact right there. I mean, her bare arm could potentially be touching his covered up nipple!  The defrauding that is going on here must make SteveO apoplectic.  I feel sheer giddiness when I think about him seething over this picture- it's absolutely schadenfreude, haha!

The juxtaposition between this photo and the ones posted of them on the Maxwell blog is astounding.  Here they look so relaxed, happy, and quite comfortable together as opposed to the stiff, reserved, and awkwardly posed Maxwell photos.  If Chelsy posted this, then damn, girl's got some balls! And if John posted it, then damn, what a way to send a message to Steve-hovah.

Also, there's a fairly large element of this picture that I'm not going to mention, but I was definitely working some blue in my mind, haha :my_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

This was super inconsiderate to John's about-to-be-wife Chelsy. Why would Sarah write it that way? So strange. Oh, she's a Maxwell. Strange is standard.

You would think they would have learned from the Munck debacle.  Joseph decided the tile.  Joseph picked out the wall color.  It was Joseph's house.

1 hour ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Did anyone else get whiplash when she randomly switched the topic to her new book at the end of the post? Watch out deary, that was almost bringing attention to YOU!!

I am embarrassingly excited about Sarah's new book.  It has been so long in the pipeline.  I do hope they let us have a sample chapter to snark on even if they don't give us a free copy to read as a promotion.

So, what do we think the title will be: 

• "Christmas with the Not-Moodys"
  • "Christmas with the Aunties"
  • "The Not-Moodys Christmas"
  • "Operation Christmas Carol"
  • The Not-Moodys put Christ back in Christmas"
  • "Christmas in Kansas with the Cousins"
  • "Celebrating Jesus' Birthday with the Not-Moodys"

I thought someone said the Bontragers were ex-Menonnite but on the Dutch Country Inn site they say Amish.

The owners, Marlin and Becky Bontrager, both come from Amish families

http://www.dutchcountryinnkalona.com/about.html

It looks pretty bare bones.  More motel than hotel IMO.  There is a photo of one of the hotel rooms - the bathtub is in the corner of the bedroom!  Yikes.  I hope there is a separate loo. :mouse-shock:

it does look very motel-ish (i worked in two motels for a combined 19 years), but it looks clean and well-maintained, which is a priority for me.  however the big jetted tub-for-two in the corner of the room itself is something i've seen several times before.  you can soak with or without your bathing buddy while having a nicer view than of the toilet.  

re:  the youth of Moncton not looking at the Chocolate River--well, gee, they see it every day, so why would they be expected to stop and gaze in awe every time they go near it?  i live on a street with several ornamental cherry trees, and while they are a spectacular sea of pink for about three weeks every spring, i pass them without admiring them if i'm preoccupied.

50 minutes ago, catlady said:

I thought someone said the Bontragers were ex-Menonnite but on the Dutch Country Inn site they say Amish.

Interesting. I just read a post where they said they often use Mennonite recipes. Not Amish. I know they have a lot of overlap but I was always under the impression they were Mennonite not Amish. 

The Bontragers are at the Bible bee. Denver and Hudson are in the semi finals. Taylor won his division last year so he can't compete this year. 

Holy crap on the matching outfits. The only way you can tell them apart is that Mary has the longer hair tied in a plait, and that she’s slightly taller. They’re 25 and 21 for fuck’s sake!!

4 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Holy crap on the matching outfits. The only way you can tell them apart is that Mary has the longer hair tied in a plait, and that she’s slightly taller. They’re 25 and 21 for fuck’s sake!!

And they aren't even twins. Sure some identical twin adults dress alike but they are just sisters. Who does that?! And to demo a house? Wtf?!

6 hours ago, bluelady said:

Also, the beautiful river the "rebels" were missing out on?  Literally a river of mud. It's nickname is the chocolate river. Google Petitcodiac River to see that beauty for yourself. 

I understand being excited to see something when it's your first time. But if you've lived there your whole life, it's just "that river by the school" or something.

I grew up in Toronto and would always see tourists stopped in busses outside the City Hall and other places that were exciting for them but just a normal building for me, even though I can appreciate the archetecture. I was stopped quite a few times by Asian tourists wanting to take pictures of me and my crazy hair.

What i find very remarkable in the how to raise a rebel blog post, is why do some families follow the 'formula' of no evil public school, no electronics and so forth, yet some of the kids are rebels and some children in the same family never leave the fray, well because it's all bullshit.  

7 hours ago, crawfishgirl said:

That would be wonderful, but I doubt it'll happen.  It won't meet their modesty standards - too many swimsuits and shorts there, even in the winter.  At least in the cold mountains they are more likely to run into warmly-dressed / covered people.  They may rent a cabin, because at a ski resort they would see people in a hot tub.

I would quite like them to go to Egypt. The vast majority of people will be very covered so no issues there. It's inappropriate for men and women to touch in public, again no issues there. And as a bonus they could see some pretty amazing places - and maybe see how some of the rest of the world live. (Yeah I know, won't happen. But it is a very interesting place!)

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived