IGNORED

Joy and Austin 14: Pregnant with Their First

Destiny

58 minutes ago, seashell1025 said:

I Love the bay area as well! I have lived out in Redwood City (have you heard of it? pretty much right between SF and San Jose) I have worked out there the past 2 summers, and I love it so much.  I wish the price of living wasn't so high because I can't see myself being able to afford to live there at all, even with renting a house or apartment.  it's so expensive!

I'm in Santa Cruz county, in a small beach town. We consider it paradise, but it is expensive. Temps 55-75 year round.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, seashell1025 said:

I Love the bay area as well! I have lived out in Redwood City (have you heard of it? pretty much right between SF and San Jose) I have worked out there the past 2 summers, and I love it so much.  I wish the price of living wasn't so high because I can't see myself being able to afford to live there at all, even with renting a house or apartment.  it's so expensive!

Yep, I've heard of it. My BIL grew up in Redwood City and most of his family lives there. 

I was fully planning on avoiding the Duggar threads for a while. Then I saw the massive debate mentioned elsewhere, got curious, and here I am.

I'm not looking to restart that debate and I really didn't want to get involved. However, @TatiFish9made a comment regarding Erin Paine that I would really like to clarify for anyone reading here.

First, the post in question:

What happened is this: a user commented on this post that the Paines had a beautiful family and if they ever wanted out of ATI (Advanced Teaching Institute) there were many people willing to help.

Spoiler

IMG_0733.PNG.64003abb4facc302e6665b77421ff19a.PNG

Erin replied saying that they were so sweet, but that she and Chad didn't follow the ministry or Bill Gothard. 

Spoiler

IMG_0734.PNG.753bbfc28607cd3ae7972650b509f0a6.PNG

This is a carefully worded statement. She clearly denounced Bill Gothard, the man.  However, she in no way denounced IBLP (Institute of Basic Life Principles) - the commenter specifically mentioned ATI and that was what Erin was referring to when she says "the ministry." And of course they weren't affiliated with ATI! They had one child at the time and he was just a baby, meaning they had no need for ATI educational materials or conferences. Not needing or liking ATI does not mean that someone no longer follows IBLP teachings though. You can continue following IBLP teachings without being affiliated with ATI

Lawson Bates (Erin's brother) then jumped in to help. He stated that their father only joined the board two years prior - I believe in late 2013 - and that Gil had been unaware of the accusations against Gothard at the time (likely a massive and steaming pile of bullshit.) Lawson went on to state that IBLP and ATI were no longer affiliated with Bill Gothard.

Spoiler

IMG_0730.PNG.e4629cf6ba0613be6ded2938271d1567.PNG

This is an important point to remember here. Bill Gothard has not been affiliated with IBLP since he stepped down in 2014 - meaning that in 2015, Erin and Lawson could truthfully state they were no longer followers of the man, while still remaining affiliated with IBLP

It is also very important to remember that Erin and Chad are children of two of the most powerful IBLP members. Both of their fathers are Board members and, as such, likely have the ability to change the tone or teachings of IBLP to make it seem more mainstream and normal. It is still a dangerous cult that teaches dangerous beliefs. Superficial changes to attire or allowing females to have jobs does not change that. 

So, to wrap it up:

Erin issued a carefully worded comment about not following a specific person or being affiliated with the teaching branch of IBLP. She in no way denounced IBLP though and claims otherwise are simply false. 

On 9/17/2017 at 4:21 PM, Kittikatz said:

@calimojo very allergic to latex - I'm also allergic to kiwis - which is somehow related.

I've never met someone else allergic to kiwis! People always ask if I'm allergic to the other tropical fruits. Nope just kiwis. My tongue swelled up pretty bad last time and I haven't had one in years after that incident. Even my allergist didn't believe me at first.

5 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I've never met someone else allergic to kiwis! People always ask if I'm allergic to the other tropical fruits. Nope just kiwis. My tongue swelled up pretty bad last time and I haven't had one in years after that incident. Even my allergist didn't believe me at first.

I get this with kiwis, peaches, nectarines, apples, (and many other fruits), raw nuts, and soy milk. It's not bad enough for me to avoid ALL of these foods, but it's really annoying when your tongue/lips swell up and your throat itches like hell. I think people believe I'm exaggerating or making it up, too, but it's a real thing. For me I believe it's oral allergy syndrome.

@OyToTheVey I'm so sorry that you have the same affliction. Most of my family didn't believe me when I told them - they said it was impossible, until my mother decided to settle the issue once and for all and force fed me a kiwi. The relatives still tell the story of how they watched my tongue swell at family gatherings. My allergist said it was a really rare allergy that was somehow related to the latex, so you may want to watch out for that developing at some point in your life. 

1 minute ago, luxfilia said:

I get this with kiwis, peaches, nectarines, apples, (and many other fruits), raw nuts, and soy milk. It's not bad enough for me to avoid ALL of these foods, but it's really annoying when your tongue/lips swell up and your throat itches like hell. I think people believe I'm exaggerating or making it up, too, but it's a real thing. For me I believe it's oral allergy syndrome.

As I type this, I'm currently very itchy cuz some how small flies ended up in my office at work and I'm about to peel my skin off. People really don't believe me a lot of the times. 3 weeks ago I woke up with a swollen eye cuz a bug bit me right next to it. My symptoms are almost always invisible. I'm itchy all the time. But people can't see itchy! I can't use a cream without testing it first. I end up splotchy. I had a really really bad reaction to Burts Bees lotion, turns out I'm allergic to honey. I ended up severely swollen in the upper face for like 3 weeks. My favorite meal is a benadryl, allegra, and ibuprofen cocktail. It forever saves me. Most of my allergies are environmental, the usual suspects, pollen, ragweed, dust, cats, dogs, etc.

Just now, Kittikatz said:

@OyToTheVey I'm so sorry that you have the same affliction. Most of my family didn't believe me when I told them - they said it was impossible, until my mother decided to settle the issue once and for all and force fed me a kiwi. The relatives still tell the story of how they watched my tongue swell at family gatherings. My allergist said it was a really rare allergy that was somehow related to the latex, so you may want to watch out for that developing at some point in your life. 

I can add it to the already long list :giggle: I do appreciate the heads up. I'm always on the look out what might be a trigger.

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Erin issued a carefully worded comment about not following a specific person or being affiliated with the teaching branch of IBLP. She in no way denounced IBLP though and claims otherwise are simply false. 

This is really interesting, if I had any guts  (or time) I'd ask a clarifying comment, but I don't, so there is that.

57 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

As I type this, I'm currently very itchy cuz some how small flies ended up in my office at work and I'm about to peel my skin off. People really don't believe me a lot of the times. 3 weeks ago I woke up with a swollen eye cuz a bug bit me right next to it.

My favorite meal is a benadryl, allegra, and ibuprofen cocktail. It forever saves me.

OMG - are we related? I'm so freaking allergic to bugs... Mosquito bites burst and spider bites (even non-poisonous) swell, form a hard capsule that has to be cut out and/or go necrotic. I got a bite near my eye and lost so much skin. It was terrifying and the scraping left a hell of a scar - thank the goddess for good foundation.

and yes to the 'dryl, Allegra, and anti-inflammatories. I am so sick of self righteous people bitching at me for how many pills I take - if I were pill popping for fun, it sure wouldn't be any of those.

@luxfilia that sounds horrible - it might be oral allergy syndrome. Does peeling the fruit help? Someone I know IRL has that and he can eat some apple and stone fruit if it's peeled first...

I'm used to midwestern winters, I grew up there. Spent nearly 6 years living in Florida and had a real hard time dealing with the lack of seasons. 70+ degrees on Christmas Eve on the beach was nice though! Moved to Arkansas and HATED the winter because an inch of snow shut down everything and they sand the roads instead of salt. Now I'm back home and other than the massive power outage that had us nearly freezing for a week,  with layering I can deal with the cold. 

Hubby is from Chicago and has always been a Bears fan, poor guy! Now the Blackhawks, that's another story. Love my Hawks and can't wait for the regular season to start!

@OyToTheVey  My 22-year-old son has started itching, mostly arms and legs, most nights about 9:00.  He has no visible signs on his skin like redness, rash, bumps, anything.  This has only been going on for about 2 months.  I made an appointment with an allergist today, but I would love it if you have any information about what might be going on with him.  Maybe you could private message me, if that's possible on here.  I don't even know.  He's about to lose his mind, and so am I.

4 hours ago, luxfilia said:

I am pretty sure my oldest has oral allergy syndrome. I had never heard of it until a year ago and we don't have an allergist here so I I may never know for sure but she has issues with certain foods, especially fruits.She just says it makes her mouth feel weird. When she was younger I thought she was being dramatic about foods she didn't like. Now I am pretty convinced there is something more going on. I'm thankful that I never forced her to eat the foods she complained about as a young child, I would feel even worse now if I had made her eat foods she was having a reaction to. 

@Ms. Squishels what laundry detergent do you use? Have you changed recently? I am allergic to Tide and will scratch myself raw, but its not an immediate reaction. My oldest also has a really strong nickel allergy that was hell with her braces but didn't present with rash/hives, etc.  

@Ms. Squishels Does it happen after cetain events? Like I run and around my high school years I realized if I don't take a certain allergy med (like zrytec which I've already been taking for allergies in general) caused some type of reaction that would cause me to scratch my legs like crazy. Also ditto to laundry detergent cause a year or two later I realized I couldn't use the arm and hammer detergent because I would itch and my skin would break at times (some people topically can't handle baking soda).

Another insect allergy victim here which sucks when you are married to a Texan and its mosquito season I swear those things see me as a walking buffet, thank the lord of benydrl  and numbing sprays

@Ms. Squishels don't consider just topical things. My skin was like that and it was finally traced to gluten--after years of allergists, dermatologists, acupuncturists...

I'd recommend a full blood panel by his doc. 

10 hours ago, Ms. Squishels said:

@OyToTheVey  My 22-year-old son has started itching, mostly arms and legs, most nights about 9:00.  He has no visible signs on his skin like redness, rash, bumps, anything.  This has only been going on for about 2 months.  I made an appointment with an allergist today, but I would love it if you have any information about what might be going on with him.  Maybe you could private message me, if that's possible on here.  I don't even know.  He's about to lose his mind, and so am I.

I saw someone comment already, did you change the laundry detergent? His bed sheets might be making him itch. I would love to help you but the only thing I can think of is new laundry detergent. OR does he shower around 9 before bed? It might be new shampoo or soap. For me triggers are usually the liquid hygiene products I use. Nothing with honey in it. If he's really itchy, benadryl makes a cream/gel that works wonders. The allergist is going to prob him with needles to see what his allergen triggers are. 

13 hours ago, Kittikatz said:

OMG - are we related? I'm so freaking allergic to bugs... Mosquito bites burst and spider bites (even non-poisonous) swell, form a hard capsule that has to be cut out and/or go necrotic. I got a bite near my eye and lost so much skin. It was terrifying and the scraping left a hell of a scar - thank the goddess for good foundation.

and yes to the 'dryl, Allegra, and anti-inflammatories. I am so sick of self righteous people bitching at me for how many pills I take - if I were pill popping for fun, it sure wouldn't be any of those.

@luxfilia that sounds horrible - it might be oral allergy syndrome. Does peeling the fruit help? Someone I know IRL has that and he can eat some apple and stone fruit if it's peeled first...

The cystic bug bites are the worst! They don't go away and I end up with bumps and scars all the time. I take a lot of pills. If I could I would never take that many but I have to keep sanity.

9 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

@Ms. Squishels Does it happen after cetain events? Like I run and around my high school years I realized if I don't take a certain allergy med (like zrytec which I've already been taking for allergies in general) caused some type of reaction that would cause me to scratch my legs like crazy. Also ditto to laundry detergent cause a year or two later I realized I couldn't use the arm and hammer detergent because I would itch and my skin would break at times (some people topically can't handle baking soda).

I get the itchy leg thing while running. It gets bad. It doesn't matter if its hot or cold or if I'm in shorts or pants. I had read it could be a type of allergic reaction but I never thought to try taking an allergy med for it. I will have to try that if I decide to start up a jogging routine again after baby. 

12 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

I am pretty sure my oldest has oral allergy syndrome. I had never heard of it until a year ago and we don't have an allergist here so I I may never know for sure but she has issues with certain foods, especially fruits.She just says it makes her mouth feel weird. When she was younger I thought she was being dramatic about foods she didn't like. Now I am pretty convinced there is something more going on. I'm thankful that I never forced her to eat the foods she complained about as a young child, I would feel even worse now if I had made her eat foods she was having a reaction to. 

I'm wondering if that's what affecting me. The last few months I've had issues with eating eggs: If something I eat is mostly or entirely egg, my mouth itches, and once my throat got raspy, too. Planning on visiting the doctor soon anyway, but I'm really hoping it's not a full-blown allergy.

22 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I'm in Santa Cruz county, in a small beach town. We consider it paradise, but it is expensive. Temps 55-75 year round.

^  Yes, its beautiful around there, I absolutely love the weather.  That's great.  I of course only being a visitor have been specifically to santa cruz the city a couple of times.  Went to the boardwalk once and then this summer attempted surfing and literally thought I was going to die. haha. never again. 

21 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

Yep, I've heard of it. My BIL grew up in Redwood City and most of his family lives there. 

Oh cool! What I love about RWC is that even though it is becoming a very booming town, and condos and apartment buildings are being built everywhere you look, it still seems like it has a more or less "town/large village" feel, rather than a big city feel to it.  

I just saw the episode where we get to see Joy's house.  So #1 when she looked at the camera and said that she was the first person in her family to buy a house and was so proud I was sort of happy for her. Austin has despicable views and is deeply involved in the IBLP but at least he isn't working (currently) for Jim Bob.  

That house though. Oh my word. I shudder. The Mold! The Mess! 

Im moving to Aruba sometime- it might be 20 years from now, but I'm moving to the island because I freaking hate snow. I hate ice. I hate cold. I hate wearing coats & gloves & winter gear. I will not miss having four seasons. I will not miss the hectic life here in the US. I want to live somewhere warm, outside the hurricane belt, where I can speak at least one of the languages, where I have friends, and I can be on the beach in no more than 15-20 minutes. So, it's Aruba. 

Oh, and I must have access to plantains, patacons, funchi, and Saco :) 

Joy says that she likes her first home. The way said it may me think it was a dig at her other siblings who did have have their "own" home, first off.

Thanks for all the comments about SquishBoy's itching.  As far as we can recall, we haven't changed anything.  We also tend to eat the same things a lot and not make changes, definite creatures of habit.  I don't think it ties in to a specific activity.  I do feel like it's something systemic or an allergy.  I don't think it's something he's coming in contact with because I think he would show some kind of signs on his skin.  He has no redness, rash, bumps, nothing that shows on his skin.  It just started in the last couple of months.  I do know he's allergic to a couple of oak pollens, dust mites and ragweed.  And he is severely allergic to fire ants (which is why he was also tested for the other allergies).  He had the allergy tests when he was about four or five years old.  Oh, he is also allergic to cats, which seems to have just started in the last few years.  We are really baffled about it.  He is going to see an allergist next week.  Benadryl does help it stop, but it's hard to function when you have to take it.  He works at night and the itching starts in the evening before he goes to work.  He doesn't even have any nasal or sinus symptoms right now, which I would think he would if it was the ragweed.  I welcome any comments or suggestions or ideas that anyone might have.  But I don't mean to tie up the thread with it.  I just had to mention it because @OyToTheVey had mentioned something that sounded very similar.  She sent me a message which I appreciated.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived