IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Pt 5: Balancing Body Humors with YL Oils

laPapessaGiovanna

Brigid seems to have been the leader or at least the one with the most ideas. Brigid clearly likes making her clothes and she likes the style that she has. She seems pretty set in the way she sees the world. I don't think Charlotte and Jessica have found what makes them them in the way that Brigid has. 

Add to that Brigid now has a husband and a baby on the way...eek! 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

With the Boyer sisters I have to keep reminding myself how young they are.  Charlotte is only 18.  I am profoundly relieved that my teenage opinions were not blogged on the internet for FJ to dig up and point out the contradictions.  But then I was so shy and nerdy that I never presumed to set myself up as an expert on anything.  I certainly didn't presume to be a virtuous example for my peers like the Boyer sisters.   :D

Yeah, I keep reminding myself Charlotte is SO young, and so of course she's changing and growing - BUT not only did she set herself up as a virtuous example, which is one thing, she also was and is very judgey about other people.

In pretty much 98% of teenagers going from saying "I'd never do X" to doing it, I am understanding, and see it as just a part of life.  But Charlotte doesn't just talk about what she would/n't do, she was explicitly and implicitly criticising other girls/women for making different choices, for example the underpinning element of "fat is shameful" that comes through sometimes.

@Lurky, don't get me wrong.  Charlotte is an annoying, facile, superficial, conceited, and judgmental little twit.  However, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, these are ideas she imbibed with her mother's milk, and she probably has never had access to anyone who would challenge her exceedingly narrow viewpoints.  She's 18 but behaves more like a mean girl of around 13.

I don't wish any ills on the Boyers, but real life experience and exposure to differing viewpoints would do them a hell of a lot of good.  

@Palimpsest Yeah, for sure - and I remind myself that none of this was Charlotte's idea in the first place.  These young women have been singing for their suppers since they were tiny, and I'm very sure the idea of setting up a blog about how to live, with guidance for less righteous types wasn't the youngest daughter's, too.  Despite being invisible in so much of their media, their parents have always been so clearly shaping everything they do (and I find that fascinating!  We're so used to the Jeub/Long/Duggar/Rod model, where the parents are front and centre, so the Boyer style is interesting to me)

4 minutes ago, Lurky said:

We're so used to the Jeub/Long/Duggar/Rod model, where the parents are front and centre, so the Boyer style is interesting to me)

Have you ever been down the Kristina rabbit hole?  

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Don't most adolescents do this?  With the Boyer sisters I have to keep reminding myself how young they are.  Charlotte is only 18.  I am profoundly relieved that my teenage opinions were not blogged on the internet for FJ to dig up and point out the contradictions.  But then I was so shy and nerdy that I never presumed to set myself up as an expert on anything.  I certainly didn't presume to be a virtuous example for my peers like the Boyer sisters.   :D

That is a good question.  I don't think the tension was as obvious before Jessica's broken engagement but Jessica and Charlotte always seemed more closely bonded.  IIRC, J and C shared a room while Brigid had her own bedroom-workroom.  I always wondered why.

You make a good point. Their adolescence is painfully, obviously on display pretty much every time they open their mouths, and they seem blissfully unaware of how incongruous it is with their professed belief system. It's one of the things that I struggle to understand most about this particular brand of TeenFundy: they follow a ideological path that constantly reminds them that their thoughts and needs are inferior to their female elders, and pretty much any male of any age. They are raised to doubt their instincts, ignore their own desires, and forcibly align their thoughts with whatever their parents or spouse demands that they believe.

Yet, they feel empowered to disparage other people's beliefs, shame other women for their body size or what they choose to wear, and they do it all cheerfully. Then they change their mind and do it all again. It's totally normal teen/immature human behavior, but it seems really out of step with their belief system.

As to the rooms, I think it was the other way around. Didn't Jessica make a video once about how she had her own room first, but it caused "sister problems", so she had to let Charlotte and Brigid store stuff in her walk-in closet to keep the peace? The  younger two shared a room at that point, but I have no idea what the sleeping arrangements were afterward. It does seem like Brigid had a sewing room, but it seems like she mentioned being downstairs or in the basement while using it?

4 minutes ago, SolomonFundy said:

It does seem like Brigid had a sewing room, but it seems like she mentioned being downstairs or in the basement while using it?

It is confusing because somewhere in there they moved house.  I'm fairly sure that Brigid had her own bedroom and work space in the new house, while Jessica and Charlotte shared a bedroom and also shared work space in the basement.

I could certainly be wrong but I can't bear the thought of going back over those old videos to find out either way!

19 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Have you ever been down the Kristina rabbit hole?  

Nooooooooo!  Do you have a recommendation for where to start?

Just now, Lurky said:

Do you have a recommendation for where to start?

The story goes way back to yuku. But the no touch engagement at Arby's went viral.   Here's her archive.  http://www.freejinger.org/forum/380-kristina-josh-carter/

Kristina is a member here and possibly one of our success stories although she really doesn't like us much.  She reproduced like a bunny but she now wears pants and sends her children to public school.

Wow, Charlotte is incredibly slim and she looks fabulous in those jeans.  

It would be ideal if she'd explain that her views and values are changing.  But I think it's pretty clear from her posts, and I don't think there's anything wrong with it.  I know she's legally an adult, but to me 18 is still really young, especially from a young woman who's been homeschooled her whole life.  I'm actually pretty impressed that she's moving away from the modesty/old fashioned Christian stuff.  I'd be way more judgmental if she had been an adult, but she wasn't when she posted most of her modesty stuff.  She was only fifteen years old (I think?) when "the Boyer Sisters" shtick started.  

Yes, she looks fantastic in those jeans.  And she is very young and immature. 

On 10/18/2017 at 6:23 PM, acheronbeach said:

It would be ideal if she'd explain that her views and values are changing.  But I think it's pretty clear from her posts, and I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

From her posts I can only tell that her views on fashion and modest dress are changing.  But then, the Boyers were never as strict about modesty as some of the other Fundies we follow.

Also I suppose her ideas about nutrition, and health and skin care, are changing.  I'm not sure these latter three are a good thing as the Boyers seem to fall for every nutritional fad and snake oil that comes along, including colloidal silver.  The essential oil stuff seems so closely tied to the MLM "business," and they stumble through all the claims about Young Living so clumsily, that I find it hard to take them seriously.  I wonder if they are actually selling anything.

I'm not sure any of her other views are changing.  Jessica and Charlotte are still stuck.  I'd feel so much better if either of them kicked over the traces in even small ways - like taking a course at a community college.

@PalimpsestThat wasn't very clear on my part, yes, I just meant the "modesty standards" bit.  

Their whole essential oil shilling nonsense... I just find that aspect of The New Boyers to be obnoxious, as I've said before.  But I do feel a bit sorry for them.  I think Charlotte in particular seems pretty charismatic and they've shown a talent for marketing in the past.  If she were educated enough to focus on something other than this charlatan oil nonsense, she could probably be a successful businesswoman.

@acheronbeach, I feel a lot sorry for them.  Although Charlotte's charisma escapes me at the moment.  

Charlotte does have talent for photography and web design.  I wish she had focused on developing those skills instead of dwindling into a MLM shill.  

It is sad.

On 10/18/2017 at 2:05 PM, Palimpsest said:

The story goes way back to yuku. But the no touch engagement at Arby's went viral.   Here's her archive.  http://www.freejinger.org/forum/380-kristina-josh-carter/

Kristina is a member here and possibly one of our success stories although she really doesn't like us much.  She reproduced like a bunny but she now wears pants and sends her children to public school.

Is she still blogging? Every so often, I wonder how she’s doing, but can’t seem to track down a current blog. Same for Courtney of Sweet Tea and a million “c” children. 

6 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

Is she still blogging?

Not that I know of.  The last blog was Everything Nice and hasn't been updated for ages.  I think she is vlogging these days instead and updates Facebook sometimes. 

https://www.facebook.com/JoshNKris/

Damn she looks good!  And the kids are adorable.  But she is having panic attacks. :(

Please don't tell me she is getting into Plexus?! Kristina, if you are reading here, please, please, please don't turn to Plexus for help with anxiety. I've struggled with anxiety and panic for years and there are some great medications and therapy that can help. Don't get sucked into a glorified laxative! 

And she does look amazing. 

Yeah, looks like she’s using Plexus to treat anxiety. :/

She does look good, though. I’m sorry she’s having anxiety attacks. They are not fun. The only way I’ve been able to manage is therapy and medication. 

Plexus to treat anxiety?  It is full of stimulants and can give false positives for amphetamines, so if her anxiety is anything like mine, it could be terrible for that.

I don't know the Kristina story, but ugh, I looked at her FB and I see she puts those stupid, dangerous amber teething necklaces on her babies. Treating anxiety with Plexus seems like it would be right up her alley. She may not be using the ones with stimulants though. I think it's the new probiotic that claims to help with anxiety. Not that that would help either, but it might not actually make it worse, at least. That could be Plexus's slogan, if they were honest. Plexus: It might not make it worse.

I have heard that some people with ADHD who take stimulant medication find that their anxiety goes way down. Of course, I've also heard of plenty of people experiencing the opposite. It probably depends on your own body, brain chemistry, other underlying issues, and the source(s) of your anxiety.

All that said, I don't think Plexus treats anything but an overabundance of cash in your wallet. It'll take care of that real quick.

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I have heard that some people with ADHD who take stimulant medication find that their anxiety goes way down. Of course, I've also heard of plenty of people experiencing the opposite. It probably depends on your own body, brain chemistry, other underlying issues, and the source(s) of your anxiety.

Of course some people are helped by stimulant medication, but I would very much hope that they are taking medicines that have gone through clinical trials, that have been prescribed by an actual degreed medical professional, who is monitoring them to check the effects are OK for them...

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

Of course some people are helped by stimulant medication, but I would very much hope that they are taking medicines that have gone through clinical trials, that have been prescribed by an actual degreed medical professional, who is monitoring them to check the effects are OK for them...

Well yeah, of course! I didn't think it was necessary to point out that I was referring to people who had been prescribed the medication by their doctor or psychiatrist, but I was. I definitely don't suggest or condone self-medicating with such substances, which is (part of) the reason I hate Plexus. :) 

I'm so tired of people pushing plexus on me. I tried it once but it was meh and it was too expensive. Treating my poor thyroid and adrenals and drastically changing my diet (they are finding more and more how gut health affects mental health according to my dr), sleep, supplements (D, magnesium, Bs, etc) and remembering to get outside and practice self care has helped my anxiety waaaaaaay more than stupid plexus. I still get it pushed on me constantly by my fundie SAHM mom friends tho. 

Scammy food products invariably seem to use "exotic" Asian or South American produce in them, presented as some sort of wonderfood.  Plexus and monkfruit... ahem, I mean "Lo Han."  Or that Ningxia Red drink made of goji berry.  My local Western grocery sells goji for $25 a pound.  At the Chinese grocery it's like a third of that price.  

26 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

My local Western grocery sells goji for $25 a pound.  At the Chinese grocery it's like a third of that price.  

It's like the difference between buying tumeric root in the health food shops/upmarket grocers in predominantly rich white areas, and in the Indian grocers shops.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived