IGNORED

Is there a "learn to read patterns for dummies" guide out there?

meep

Hi Jingerites, is there some type of guide that breaks down how to read patterns?

I took private sewing lessons a few years ago. I have to move and wasn't able to go anymore, which is super unfortunate since she was actually planning on making me an apprentice. :( Well anyways, I still have some patterns and all my sewing supplies and thought I'd start giving sewing another go since back then I was decent at it and enjoyed it. However, it seems that most of my knowledge has completely fallen out of my head. :( I have a shirt I'd like to work on but the pattern is making me dizzy!

If you find one, please let the rest of us that find patterns confusing know!  I personally have a left /right brain disconnect when it comes to things like sewing patterns, knit/crochet patterns etc. I can and do cross stitch and crewel embroidery.

I think there's a sewing for dummies that explains patterns.

edited to add: The book is Sewing for Dummies and has a section on reading/using patterns.

• 1 year later...

Way, way late to the party, but I find the tutorials from Gertie's Blog for Better Sewing to be quite helpful. She also has great instructions for altering fit on garments.

I learned to read patterns from a Simplicity "How to sew" book. I'm sure those are still out there,  but there is a lot online now.

This is not helpful for sewing, but Kate Atherley has a book called Beyond Knit and Purl which has great info on how to decipher (knitting) patterns.

Archived