IGNORED

Faith Pennington on Radiolab podcast

notachance

Just popping in to say that Faith Pennington is on the podcast Radiolab, talking about her reasons for leaving her family and struggles with getting her identity sorted out after she left. She goes into a lot of detail- it's interesting stuff.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's difficult to hear...sometimes I couldn't make out what they were saying.  

Either way, what I heard made me like Lisa Pennington and her husband even less.  Didn't know that was possible...

It's difficult to hear...sometimes I couldn't make out what they were saying.  

Either way, what I heard made me like Lisa Pennington and her husband even less.  Didn't know that was possible...

Same here - they have M-A-J-O-R control issues. They have truly crippled their own children. On the other hand, Alecia blew me away with her courage and bravery. I wish for her to have all she desires to do and have in life.

Thanks for the heads up!

Also, per Faith's "Help Me Prove It" FB page -

Wonderful news!! Finally, success with the passport agency! Currently waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

After that, it should be the final key to getting a social security number. So close to the finish line!!! I can't wait to finally get my life on track.

Keeping my finger crossed that this was the last roadblock...

ETA: And yes - Faith absolutely rocks. And her parents are not well people.

So AWESOME and well done!  One thing that caught my attention toward the end of the podcast:  Marsha Farney, the Texas State Representative who championed the legislation that allowed Faith to get a birth certificate, was defeated in the recent Republican primary by opponent Terry Wilson, who (according to the podcast) was supported by homeschooling groups.  Wilson's bio does not mention homeschooling, but he does strongly support "school choice".  Wilson retired from the military after 30 years.  Marsha Farney has a Ph. D. in education.  

The Penningtons are a big name in Texas homeschooling.  I have no doubt they had some influence getting homeschoolers rallied against Farney.  

Looking in from the outside, I think Faith's defection from the Pennington home might have blown up that family structure to some degree.   The kidults are driving, getting jobs, and another daughter left home to live with and nanny for another of Lisa's siblings 300 miles away from home.  It's interesting to me that Faith saw the writing on the wall at a family meeting where a 23-year-old sibling was not allowed to get a job or a cell phone or have internet access.  Let me repeat that for emphasis:  a 23-year-old sibling was not allowed to get a job or a cell phone or have internet access

I noticed also that Lisa never mentions anything really specific in her blog anymore.  She's much more circumspect and general in what she says. 

Wow, thanks for that link @notachance and @palimpsest - I knew she's got her birth certificate, but hadn't realised it took her so long to get a SS number etc - it must feel so strange to still be in limbo, and I hope Faith can have a wonderful life

I thought that podcast was very interesting and very well put together.  I found what Faith's aunt had to say very important too.  She really pointed to the difficulties of integrating into society faced by Faith, but undoubtedly faced by many other survivors too.  Not only did Faith have to fight for documentation of her existence, she also had to find her own identity - beyond that of "Pennington girl-child" and "the invisible girl."  I sincerely wish her the best.

Faith was extremely lucky in that she had extended family to help her with all of this.  I also think HARO (parent organization of HA) is doing extremely good work.  There needs to be a lot more work done to establish solid support systems for survivors of inadequate homeschooling and identity abuse.  They need help to integrate into the greater society, find work to support themselves, and succeed after they escape.  

HARO conducted a survey of survivors that would be a great jumping off point for anyone interested in researching all of this in detail.  It would be a really good PhD thesis:  why people stay as long as they do, what motivates them to leave, and what supports are desperately needed so that they can leave.  People like Cynthia Jeub, Faith Pennington, and  Anne Moser (who came up again recently on another thread) all have different stories and different struggles to survive but their backgrounds are so similar. HA has many other stories.

Link to HARO survey results:   https://hareachingout.wordpress.com/2014/12/02/announcing-the-results-from-haros-2014-survey-of-homeschool-alumni/ 

Wow, I haven't kept up with Radiolab in a while but I never thought it would overlap with the stuff I read on this site! I didn't think the Penningtons could be any more controlling than what we already knew from Lisa's blog, but to hear Faith's side it was even worse. It sounds like the extended family knew for a long time that something wasn't right and they were well prepared to help her escape.  I think @Howl is right-- if Faith hadn't made a run for it, all of the adult children would still be stuck at home without jobs, drivers' licenses, or cell phones. Faith says that they rarely left the house except to go to church, and that she had to sneak around just to find her grandparents' phone number and make brief communication with them.

On Lisa's blog there's a recent entry about what her adult children are up to-- maybe trying to do some damage control for this episode? She mentions that the oldest daughter is engaged, and also continues to whine about how much Faith hurt her by leaving.

From Lisa's "Pennington Point" blog, August 25, "10 Encouraging Tips for Homeschooling Mamas" (italics/bolding mine):

My 5 kids that have graduated are all on different paths…..

-Our oldest daughter is living in Dallas and goes to a fantastic church and is seeing a great guy and they are planning to get married (brace yourself for lots of wedding planning posts coming soon).  She has self published 5 books and if you have a kid who loves sci-fi then you need her books! [Insert sales pitch/link here.]
-Our oldest son graduated from law school last weekend (WOOHOO!!!) and we are unbelievably proud of him.  [That would be the unaccredited, non-ABA-approved, Bill Gothard-linked Oak Brook College of Law and Government Policy.] He’s on his way to the life he dreamed of.  He is in the process of finishing his own album and you will LOVE it. [Sales pitch, Round 2] He is also in the Young Living business and y’all, he is brilliant with this stuff.  He amazes me every day.
-Our third child is on her own and figuring out how she wants her life to be. [Translation: she has no birth certificate, no Social Security number, no other official documentation, and is, therefore, screwed.] We are thrilled for her and get to see her all the time.  She has developed a really cool writing program for kids that you should check out!!! [Sales pitch, Round 3]
-Our fourth child is the one who has been a struggle for us.  She ran away from home and it broke my mom-heart. [Translation: Waaaaaaaah, she's making meeeeee look baaaaaad!!] There is still much pain and loss involved and it’s a story yet unfinished.  But I can tell you that there is still joy.  If my joy was wrapped up in my kids then I would be lost…..instead it is wrapped up in Christ and His love, mercy and grace.  Even through the pain I am filled with happiness and victory.
-Our youngest graduate is still living at home and doing great.  She has a thriving photography business and she also has a Young Living business. [Sales pitch, Round 4]  She goes on mission trips and helps with her siblings. [Translation: she's our free slave labor.] She’s downright adorable and a blessing to me! (they’re all a blessing of course, no matter what the circumstances!)

Boo fucking hoo, Lisa. Cry us a river.

http://thepenningtonpoint.com/2016/08/10-encouraging-tips-for-homeschooling-mamas/

Our fourth child is the one who has been a struggle for us.  She ran away from home and it broke my mom-heart.

I never thought I'd find myself in the position of helping Lisa, but alas, here I am.

Lisa honey?  Your "child" is in fact a grown woman, and grown women don't "run away" from home, they make a choice to leave.

Now I am sure it breaks your mom-heart that you can't control her anymore.  I'm sure you want to drown your sorrows in essential oils when you think about all of the work she could be doing around the house for you if she weren't so busy adulting. 

That said, broken hearts mend, so you just have to pry those tacky Mickey Mouse ears off your head, dust yourself off, and do your own damn work!  It might mean you have to take a few less selfies/videos.  It may mean those stupid pics you take (you know...the ones where you pretend to be a queen and everyone else in your family pretends to be your servant) have one less servant in them, but you will make it.  Trust me, if you have the energy to hoof it all over Disney while your kids sit at home (because mama needs some "me time"....again), then you have the energy to raise your own kids and do your own house work.  Because contrary to what you've apparently been told, lazy isn't cute.  

You're welcome.

And another thing I'll tell you for free.  You should be proud of your daughter.  She had the guts to stand up to you and fight for her life.  She wrestled her freedom away from you, when you'd have happily stolen it to use to your own advantage.  She made a life for herself when you threw every stumbling block possible in her path.  You have a wonderful daughter, in spite of your crappy parenting.  Be thankful.  

32 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

-Our fourth child is the one who has been a struggle for us.  She ran away from home and it broke my mom-heart.

Oh, Lisa, you twit.  She did NOT "run away from home".   She drove away WITH YOUR FATHER.  Who you then shunned.   You and your SovCit husband made sure she was a stateless person.  It's taken her years to sort that out. She had to create a new life and a new identity for herself.  I wish instead of complaining about your broken heart, you felt at least an iota of guilt over what you withheld to try to create a compliant and subservient child who would be bound to you forever.  Oh, and you have lunch with you daughter on occasion.   As I mentioned in a previous post, stop f**king acting like she's living in a crack house with ISIS recruits.  She goes to church.  She has a job.  She has made some new friends.  It's called having a life. 

ETA: @Koala, we were posting at the same time!  Your take on the situation with Lisa is brilliant and a great read. 

Hmm. Something tells me that J. Grace Pennington books are way, way better than Sarah Maxwell ones. I know, different family backgrounds and all, but still. J. Grace has an actual imagination that has been allowed to develop. Sure, the characters are all Christian, but SPACE EXPLORATION!! This just highlights how sad Poor Sarah's situation is. If only Steve wasn't such an uptight ass.

8 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Hmm. Something tells me that J. Grace Pennington books are way, way better than Sarah Maxwell ones. I know, different family backgrounds and all, but still. J. Grace has an actual imagination that has been allowed to develop. Sure, the characters are all Christian, but SPACE EXPLORATION!! This just highlights how sad Poor Sarah's situation is. If only Steve wasn't such an uptight ass.

I do go nattering on about the awfulness of Lisa, but the kids seem creative and very smart. Lisa's OCD tendencies mean she was EXTREMELY consistent with homeschooling and her college degree means she at least had the basics down. 

3 minutes ago, Howl said:

I do go nattering on about the awfulness of Lisa, but the kids seem creative and very smart. Lisa's OCD tendencies mean she was EXTREMELY consistent with homeschooling and her college degree means she at least had the basics down. 

Yep. And at least now Faith has gone the family's changed a little, in that kids are getting jobs and so on. 

Yiiiiiiikes. That was one hell of a duck duck goose to point out everyone's successes but Alecia's. Party foul, Lisa. She's done a damn good job out in the world on her own, I'd say. I can barely change my name to my new married name and she's beating a system that her parents tried to keep her from having access to. I'd say she's turning out to be the biggest success of all, frankly.

I wonder if any of the Pennington kids who haven't left the fold have gone onto get their identification?

Lisa only mourns her Queen Bee status, not Alecia Faith who blew the doors open.

Did Lisa and SovCit really imagine the family living on a compound forever surrounded by kids who literally could never grow up? I'm continually blown away they deemed a 23 year old too young to drive and have a phone. Or even allow the kids to know their own grandparents phone number. It sounded like a prison for the adult kids - Pennington Pinterest Prison.

Ha, I just came here to post about the podcast! I actually thought it was mostly old info, but was nice to see her get some coverage. I will say she talks really quickly with an odd cadence. I occasionally had trouble understanding her, despite being a fast talker myself.

OK so I don't know a ton about this family but did read one of the FJ posts celebrating that Alecia finally got a birth certificate. I always thought her name was a special snowflake spelling of Alicia/Aleesha/etc. I have Radiolab as one of my usual podcast listens, so when they started telling the story this week, I thought it sounded familiar but since I didn't know how she pronounced her name, I wasn't sure until now! I'm about halfway through the episode (I listen on the commute to work) so I stopped while they're in the middle of talking to the "sovereign citizen" man. (don't know his name) And he's going on and on about how she's been given a gift of freedom, shouldn't be a slave to the govt, etc... And I just want to yell at him! He had internet and a phone and probably a car and property and... She can't have ANY of those things without a valid ID. I don't understand those "sovereign citizens" posting all the videos and Facebook rants... If you really believe that shit, then get the fuck off my grid and stop accepting access to luxuries like this.

Edited to remove tapta sig, sorry! Just got a new phone :)

20 hours ago, Howl said:

It's interesting to me that Faith saw the writing on the wall at a family meeting where a 23-year-old sibling was not allowed to get a job or a cell phone or have internet access.  Let me repeat that for emphasis:  a 23-year-old sibling was not allowed to get a job or a cell phone or have internet access

A 23 year old was not allowed to use the internet? And yet Lisa spends all this time online blogging and posting pictures of herself?

27 minutes ago, bertnee said:

OK so I don't know a ton about this family but did read one of the FJ posts celebrating that Alecia finally got a birth certificate. I always thought her name was a special snowflake spelling of Alicia/Aleesha/etc. I have Radiolab as one of my usual podcast listens, so when they started telling the story this week, I thought it sounded familiar but since I didn't know how she pronounced her name, I wasn't sure until now! I'm about halfway through the episode (I listen on the commute to work) so I stopped while they're in the middle of talking to the "sovereign citizen" man. (don't know his name) And he's going on and on about how she's been given a gift of freedom, shouldn't be a slave to the govt, etc... And I just want to yell at him! He had internet and a phone and probably a car and property and... She can't have ANY of those things without a valid ID. I don't understand those "sovereign citizens" posting all the videos and Facebook rants... If you really believe that shit, then get the fuck off my grid and stop accepting access to luxuries like this.

I'm going to have to find that place on FJ where you submit user title ideas, because "get the fuck off my grid" is just fantastic.

37 minutes ago, bertnee said:

I stopped while they're in the middle of talking to the "sovereign citizen" man. (don't know his name) And he's going on and on about how she's been given a gift of freedom, shouldn't be a slave to the govt, etc... And I just want to yell at him! He had internet and a phone and probably a car and property and... She can't have ANY of those things without a valid ID. I don't understand those "sovereign citizens" posting all the videos and Facebook rants... If you really believe that shit, then get the fuck off my grid and stop accepting access to luxuries like this.

My head just about exploded when I heard that! 

She was Lisa's servant before she stood up and demanded the rights that are legally her's. She couldn't get a job, drive a car, have a phone, or use the internet.  And neither could her siblings...you know, the ones in their TWENTIES! 

Lisa had it locked down.  No documentation, no access to the outside world= you will do exactly what Lisa says.  It's practically criminal!  In fact, it feels like a form of unlawful restraint to me.  When an adult tells you they want to go, you get the fuck out of their way and let them go.  

Lisa referring to her as a "runaway" who left without her "blessing" reveals that this is all about control for her.  Adults don't need her "blessing" to have their own lives and make their own decisions.  

I also remember Lisa saying that they would help her get her documentation together, but she need to come home and cooperate with them.  Yeah, no.  

There's a new law in town Lisa.  It says that what you did was criminal, and if YOU don't cooperate and help your children get their documents together, YOU can be punished by up to a year in jail and $4,000 in fines.  And there aren't any stupid selfies allowed in jail.  

30 minutes ago, turquoise said:

A 23 year old was not allowed to use the internet? And yet Lisa spends all this time online blogging and posting pictures of herself?

Bingo. Because it's aaallll supposed to be about Lisa. And if it's not, she'll find a way to make it aaallll about Lisa again. Hence, the narcissistic public "my daughter ran away" whinging.

9 minutes ago, 16strong said:

I'm going to have to find that place on FJ where you submit user title ideas, because "get the fuck off my grid" is just fantastic.

Here you go: 

Archived