IGNORED

S'Morton Alan Smith charged with incest, rape, child molestation

JustAnotherMaiden

33 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Not sure if any of you are aware of this but the Good Captain also is a singer, songwriter, dancer and choreographer!

this gem of a dance tutorial includes flick kicks, bursts, charleston kicks, and a jig to name a few. If you don't have the time to watch the whole thing skip to the 39-40 minute mark. 

I was moved to feel great joy in my heart upon noticing that several of his videos only have a handful of views.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

He's just like the pisser; so fond of himself he'll record every move he makes for the 'benefit' of others.

Same motivation too, probably. You know what they say about small men. 

Like the Pisser, he also half-yells at his audience like they are mentally challenged. Another narcissistic personality with a persecution complex. 

Another thing I would like to add to the general discussion: it's proven that up to 80% of juvenile sexual offenders have been victims of sexual abuse. If the case reveals that Alan's criminal past goes back many more years (as some here have pointed out), I would be worried that abuse in this family might be a more widespread problem.

I think that if his actions go back, which I believe they most likely do, it comes down to many possible factors. Given the environment in which he grew up and lives, I really think their unhealthy & unnatural view of love, sex and intimacy could totally be to blame.

These people are taught that all sex is bad, if they're taught anything at all, except within marriage. They are taught to repress all feelings, emotional and physical; hell, the girls are taught that they belong to their fucking fathers until they get married - the Smith's proudly talk of Bret wearing the 'keys to his daughters' hearts'. How does one not grow up confusing fatherly love with husbandly love? How does one go from zero to sixty with only some ridiculous ceremony in between?

Add the unhealthy human sexuality these people are taught to their view that men are rulers and women are breeders; men are taught of their importance and value over women - the same women who aren't even allowed to make a decision for themselves their entire lives - and the power imbalance is astronomical. 

The purity of someone is focused entirely on daughters with sons barely receiving a mention. Women must do all to keep their husband from straying with nary a mention of husbands being taught not to stray in the first place. Adultery is the wife's fault. The father can abuse his family physically, emotionally and otherwise and the wife will rarely do anything but take it because to do so is to put her very soul in jeopardy. Wives cannot 'blame' their husbands for anything from inability (unwillingness) to support the family to far worse 'sins' against his family. Men don't sin, women do. 

When fathers 'sell' their daughters to men faux symbolically or otherwise, their value is clear. When girls are born and raised to be the helpmeet of a man, so much so they wash their husband's feet at their damn wedding and people praise it, the damage is already done and now the new husband knows he can any damn thing he wants without reproach.

When none of them, male or female, are allowed to associate with anyone outside their little circles, they never get a healthy view of anything. They have nothing to compare. Their parents instill fear and superiority into their heads; their parents teach their girls to be breeding doormats and their sons to be kings who cannot ever be questioned.

Overall, I believe their entire way of life creates a secluded environment that is ripe for abhorrent behavior. 

This is going to sound stupid against the backdrop of the larger discussion. Sorry, I never delved into the S'Morton threads before this one showed up. So I'm going to ask about "old news".

Wouldn't it be more "biblical" for the husband to wash the wife's feet, if you're going to have that sort of thing in a wedding ceremony? After all, he is her "head" (according to their teaching) just like Christ is head to his bride, the Church. And Christ was the one who washed others' feet, not other people washing his feet.

Oh wait, there was the woman who washed his feet with tears and dried them with her hair. Maybe that's the vibe they were going for. Yeah, that makes sense. The bride is a lowly, nasty, dirty (reforming) sinner, and the husband is the shiny clean christ-figure. Yup, that's much more demeaning to the bride. That must have been the deal.

2 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

Not sure if any of you are aware of this but the Good Captain also is a singer, songwriter, dancer and choreographer!

this gem of a dance tutorial includes flick kicks, bursts, charleston kicks, and a jig to name a few. If you don't have the time to watch the whole thing skip to the 39-40 minute mark. 

Thank you for posting that Grimalkin. That was golden. I can't believe I've been on FJ this long and am just now learning about the glory that is the Cap'n. 

You'd think if you were going to post a 40 minute choreography video to YouTube, you'd at least be able to dance decently. Dude didn't even point his toes. I don't think he could even pass this Reno 911 field sobriety test. 

17 hours ago, JustAnotherMaiden said:

I don't know for sure, but I think it's because he was 'Captain' of their own private boat that they sailed around the Carribean for a year. 

So you're telling me Captain Crunch has more legitimate maritime experience than this Turd Ferguson?

"Judge" Futch has a listing page on the Christians in Business website.  He serves part-time (since 2006) as Chief Judge of Municipal Court for City of McDonough (Henry Co.), GA.   Municipal Court, among other small things, holds traffic court. I doubt seriously the Judge has ever heard a case like Alan's.  

That said he's also been Capt'n Bret's family lawyer for several years.  I wonder if he'll be representing Alan? 

This video makes me ill because Capt'n Bret is advocating homeschooling as a way to keep your children out of CPS's clutches.  Because the Capt'n sees CPS as the evil gubmint trying to steal your children. And CPS is doing this because evil people out there are filing false reports about godly people.  Why ....... even the Capt'n had a visit from CPS!

I wonder what charge CPS (DFCS in GA) was investigating the Capt'n for?  He says they wanted to speak to his daughter, but he stopped them by getting his lawyer involved  My mind immediately went to Alan being up to something

2 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

Grimalkin, thank you for that! :)

Still wiping away happy tears ;)

Why is this only being reported by one news outlet? Is incest and rape of a child not a newsworthy crime?

I don't know for sure because I have no experience. But incest/rape of a child is a tough topic to cover with the laws protecting the victim (as they should be). Too much info about the criminal could identify the victim(s) and put the victim on defense  or worse, screw up the case against him. 

Also, they are still building their case, I would assume. Talking to family & friends and others, no doubt. 

There is nothing more to tell about him or his crimes that won't risk exposure to innocents. Not at this point anyway - I don't think.

I could be totally wrong, but there are many many safeguards and laws surrounding protecting the identity of child victims that I can't imagine there is much that can be said at this stage of the crime. He's caught. He's in jail. He will be charged. The investigation could be ongoing for a long time. In all that, the victim(s) need 100% anonymity and protection.

I don't mean why aren't they saying more about what he did and who he did it to. i mean, why aren't any other news outlets reporting the same public information?

I cannot find any other stories except the one in the OP.

OMG. Just watched part of the dance tutorial (thank you, @Grimalkin , for the fast forward tip).

It's clear that Captain Bret is in a special cult all his own: The Church of Daddy Said So Where We Just Make Shit Up.

9 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

I don't mean why aren't they saying more about what he did and who he did it to. i mean, why aren't any other news outlets reporting the same public information?

Again, a guess. It's small town Georgia. Not that that means it isn't important, but other sources are covering 'bigger' stories. 

There was a murder in my small town last fall. A brutal, cold blooded murder. The only reports of it were in our town newspaper and later, the county paper which publishes once a month.

He's a nobody. If you remember anything of Steven Sitler, who has been discussed here at length, even his years of crimes were only news in Moscow, ID. No search brings up additional coverage from other sources.

I don't know why that is. But, I don't think it means anything. It is interesting to wonder why these things aren't more widely covered, but I don't think Smith's case is any different in that regard than others.

14 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Based on the location of Moultrie, there likely aren't any other media outlets.  It's closest bigger town is Valdosta and that's about 2 hours away. EDIT--Valdosta has only a 50K population so it's not exactly a metropolis either.

Thinking about my mostly rural southern state, if something like this happens 2 hours from here (I'm in a 300K+ city that has multiple outlets) it's most likely not going to hit our paper or TV stations. You may get a two paragraph blurb somewhere that everyone picks up once but that's it.

36 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Why is this only being reported by one news outlet? Is incest and rape of a child not a newsworthy crime?

I was wondering the exact same thing. Here, just one state away, this would be HUGE news. Literally all over the place. 

I am new to the S'Mortons. What a truly bizarre group of people. 

Unfortunately, child abuse cases are depressingly common. Other than the bizarre religious beliefs of the S'Mortons, there's nothing particularly noteworthy about this case, and as other people have mentioned, this family are a bunch of nobodies as far as the local media is concerned. 

I hadn't read it since the first look so I went back to the link of the article in light of the current discussion.

The shit has a smirk on his face. I swear. That is not a neutral expression. 

I wanted to stab him before. Now I want to stab him with a serrated knife.

3 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

I wanted to stab him before. Now I want to stab him with a serrated knife.

Only if it's dull and rusty. I have one I use for weeding; I can hold him while you stab him.

3 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

OMG. :? Could he be more of a pompous ass?! Why exactly would anyone do this "dance"? 

The abuse is heartbreaking, but not really surprising. These sorts of fundie groups seem to be breeding grounds for horrific abuse. 

13 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

OMG. :? Could he be more of a pompous ass?! Why exactly would anyone do this "dance"? 

And the lengthy ads in the videos... Sure, their clumsy home videos will be a huge help in everyone's education. Because capn Bret lurves to hear himself speak.

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

"Judge" Futch has a listing page on the Christians in Business website.  He serves part-time (since 2006) as Chief Judge of Municipal Court for City of McDonough (Henry Co.), GA.   Municipal Court, among other small things, holds traffic court. I doubt seriously the Judge has ever heard a case like Alan's.  

That said he's also been Capt'n Bret's family lawyer for several years.  I wonder if he'll be representing Alan? 

Whoa whoa whoa.

The judge is a Christian and also the family lawyer??? This is the judge that will be overseeing the trial? Am I missing something?

Just now, sophie10130 said:

Whoa whoa whoa.

The judge is a Christian and also the family lawyer??? This is the judge that will be overseeing the trial? Am I missing something?

It's possible but not fact. The discussion about him is his appearance in a Captn Bret production about CPS. He is the Smith family lawyer, but it's unlikely he is qualified to defend a child rapist. Or that he even would; even by fundie standards, rape of a child by a family member can't be a pardonable/excusable sin. In some circles, yes, but in most I would hope not. 

Short of billionaires, I think most accused of child rape are represented by public defenders rather than someone who truly believes in their innocence. And the Smith's don't have OJ's money or notoriety, or even the Tool's when it comes to mounting a defense.

1 minute ago, fundiefan said:

It's possible but not fact. The discussion about him is his appearance in a Captn Bret production about CPS. He is the Smith family lawyer, but it's unlikely he is qualified to defend a child rapist. Or that he even would; even by fundie standards, rape of a child by a family member can't be a pardonable/excusable sin. In some circles, yes, but in most I would hope not. 

Short of billionaires, I think most accused of child rape are represented by public defenders rather than someone who truly believes in their innocence. And the Smith's don't have OJ's money or notoriety, or even the Tool's when it comes to mounting a defense.

Oh. Phew! I was about to get UPset.

I thought people were saying this dude was going to be the judge overseeing Alan's case.

If he is the family lawyer and participated in their videos, I think he'd have a conflict of interest that would disqualify him from judging Alan's case.

4 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

If he is the family lawyer and participated in their videos, I think he'd have a conflict of interest that would disqualify him from judging Alan's case.

I don't think he is even in a jurisdiction or position to try a child rape case. Someone else posted his status. He's a small time, part time, judge in a small district handling traffic cases and the like. 

The reporting on the case may be small town, but trial will follow state law. And jurisdiction. 

2 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Well, his website says he specializes in "criminal defense of all types of criminal cases." Then, there's this extensive recap of his background:

During the course of his career, Greg has represented both the State of Georgia in criminal cases as well as those accused of crimes against the State from misdemeanors to the death penalty. He has represented clients in most all types of civil cases including divorce, custody, and general civil litigation.

Mr. Futch has extensive experience in criminal law, having served as an Assistant District Attorney for almost 8 years in both the Stone Mountain and Flint Judicial Circuit. Mr. Futch is also death penalty certified having prosecuted and defended death penalty cases. Mr. Futch is also a past officer of the criminal law section of the State Bar of Georgia. Mr. Futch is also a contributing author to Inside the Minds: Trends in DUI Discovery, "Thorough Discovery Now Yields Better Case Results Later." (2011)

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived