IGNORED

Need to Identify a Military uniform!

tabitha2

I was recently sent a photo of my Great great Grandfather in Presumably Polish early 20th century uniform and need to place it. Does anyone have a good site for this?

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, SnazzyNazzy said:

I found this blogspot, that is about the Polish Military. I don't know if there are more eras, other than the WW2. Everything else I saw, was either WW2, or waaaaaaaay back to like ca. 17th century...lol.

http://polishgreatness.blogspot.com/2012/04/world-war-2-military-uniforms-polish.html

Per my husband: The gap is because Poland didn't exist from about 1795 to 1918, although there were Polish military units in between fighting for other armies, including Napoleon's.

ETA: There's a French play from the late 19th century by Jarry, which is considered a precursor to the Theater of the Absurd. One of the absurdities is that it's set in Poland, "That is, nowhere."

• 5 months later...
On 25.06.2016 at 1:51 AM, tabitha2 said:

I was recently sent a photo of my Great great Grandfather in Presumably Polish early 20th century uniform and need to place it. Does anyone have a good site for this?

Hi @tabitha2

have you found what you were looking for? I'm from Poland, maybe I could help?

@tabitha2

Found a page with names of the divisions/brigades of The Blue Army. They were changed sometime between Apr 20 and June 9 of 1919. In this period of time around 70000 troopers of Blue Army came to Poland from France to be incorporated into Polish Army. Many of the foreigners and volunteers from USA left then.

Site in polish unfortunately but lots of pictures and graphics. Maybe you will get  from "almost certainly" to "sure". :) If you can see details on his uniform you would be able to identify if it was infantry for sure or something else (if translation is needed, please let me know).

https://blekitnaarmia2lotouchard.wordpress.com/2016/04/28/umundurowanie-armii-hallera-tzw-blekitnej-armii/

Archived